Beginners and Beyond

Howl at the Moon 5 Mile Trail Race (my first trail race and at night) (Read 94 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Last night I was pretty nervous and excited, this was my fist trail race and it was at night so I got to wear my headlamp. Part of me thought it would be better to have registered for the 5k, not the 5 miler but I knew that if I did that I would immediately regret it and wish I had done the 5 miler. In other words, I stuck with the 5 mile part of the race.

DH took a couple pics of me before the race:

It started at 9 p.m. and I was a bit in the back and we couldn't hear anything they were saying, but I wasn't worried about that. Everything was going real well for the first mile, everything was marked good and there wasn't any confusion. It was around the time we came out in a cornfield and hit two trails and one sign saying 5k..... but no 5 miles so we went the way that didn't have a sign. At that point we didn't think we were lost, by that time I was up with the brave leaders who were trying to find their way through. 

We hit a dead end just before 1.5 I think, turned around and took this other trail with no tape, or sign. Before long we were pretty sure we were headed in the right direction again, I took up behind the girl that was leading and figured I knew these trails and I knew my way out if nobody else did. It was after a few minutes that we heard girls screaming, it sounded like they had broken their leg or something. It turns out they had gotten lost on a trail and decided to get off the trail and walk through the woods trying to find another trail or someone (excuse me, brave and crazy but thorns and wild animals... no thank you), when we confirmed that they were okay we headed on. It just got confusing from there on..... and the lead girl even asked me if I wanted to lead but I said no because if we were lost I didn't want to be responsible, I knew the ways out but not the race course as there were about a half dozen trails that veer off from the main one and I knew the main one only makes about 1.5-2 miles total

Just around mile 2.75 we hit a group of 5 milers coming from where we were headed, they were lost and kept going that way. We ran through muck, mud, slosh and other nasty crap I don't want to know about and I am so glad I didn't wash off my trail shoes for this race because it would have been a huge waste of time. I think when we came upon the levee we hit multiple groups that were lost, there was one small 5k group that had already hit 4 miles instead and still didn't know where they were going. Now that I look back on it, it is actually kind of hilarious really and what was even funnier was that we were all more concerned about getting our 5 miles in before finding the finish than we were finding the finish. Eventually I hit the trails and tried to make up 5 miles, winding through and bumping into others who were either lost or making up some mileage, I saw the finish and still had about a quarter of a mile left which really aggravated me but at that point I was annoyed and done with it. After looking at the course map I can see where that quarter went, we missed a turn although I know that trail was completely muddy and just more like water than trail, oh well I guess.

DH got a few pics, a couple of me before and after because again he isn't familiar with my camera and didn't know how to work the focus.

Overall, it was a fun run if you don't think about start or finish and I hope they have it again next year and maybe a Halloween run this year because that would easily freak out a lot of people. I won't say I ran 5 because my garmin says 4.7 and so my time was 48:29 for the trail race.

During start and after pics:

I was in the backish part so I only knew to raise my arms....

If you look at the guy in the green shirt furthest to the left at the booth table under the tent, that is lee (thekl0wn). He is even better looking up close Joking

DH wanted to catch the sweat glistening off me. I was tired, and still aggravated dang it. I should have had him take pics of my calves that were covered in mud, but I was still thinking about the course and stuff. On the levee which was basically a huge cut out pathway in the woods all you see are a bunch of headlamps walking, running about and lost and then in the woods you see them and everyone was just hollering out near the end, it was funny and I hope there wasn't any extremely competitive runners out there because they might have been really pissed if they got lost on the course too.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

SheCan

Interesting RR and I love the pictures.  I'm not sure though I'd like to do a trail run like this at night.  It sounds really frustrating not having the trail clearly marked, and with the darkness, yikes.  Good job to you though.  Do you think you'll do another at night like this?  I KNOW you'll be doing more trails! Joking

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Trail Monster

Getting lost is half the fun! Nice work!

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

It was awesome, I loved it even with the getting lost part and I would definitely do it again. I probably wouldn't do one on trails I don't know, because then I would be freaked out. I am so glad I didn't do the 5k, and I really wish it had been longer. I would love to run a HM on trails and even at night, though not a very hilly one.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

What a huge mess.

Congrats on still having fun, even with people going every which way but right.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

You have no idea how literal your last words were lol, I hope they're not discouraged from setting up this race next year because I will definitely do it again.

What a huge mess.

Congrats on still having fun, even with people going every which way but right.

PRs

Birdwell

You mention looking at the course map after the race, and being able to tell where you went wrong.

Did no one think to look at the course map beforehand?

Its easy to blame the race director when things aren't perfect. I like to control as much as I can in my trail races, so I study the course maps and even carry a copy of it sometimes. I blame myself if I get lost.

nice job on the time.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I wish I had carried it with me, I and probably everyone else figured it would be easy cheesy until that one turn or two..... I even told myself I would run the course at least twice before this weekend but that didn't happen. I'll make sure to do that next time, I think the only mistake the organizers made was not having one of those loud megaphone things when they were giving directions before the start. I know they couldn't take any ATV's out there to lead us like they do in normal road races but maybe a guy/girl on a mountain bike would have been somewhat nice lol. I honestly wonder if anyone ran the right course, but I am not going to keep complaining because honestly I had a blast for my first time and I hope they do it again next year and also maybe for Halloween Smile

PRs

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

What a great report, very entertaining!  Your description of all the people running around out there, lost and in confusion, made me think of a crazy old-time movie, like Charlie Chaplain or the Marx Brothers, lol, with all kinds of crazy stuff going on.  Sorry about the non-marked routes and so forth, but sounds like you made the best of it, and kept your sense of humor about it all, so good for you!   You now have 'bragging rights' and one heckuva runner story to tell forever.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

You are hardcore if you do trail races at night.  I would have broken a foot or something.

Great job!  Thanks for sharing the RR and pics.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Thanks you two, I am hooked and hope I see more night-time trail races and I don't think I'll even wait for another race to get out there thought it's a bit less unnerving when you're running with others in the dark than by yourself. It was hilarious, and definitely a memory I won't soon forget.

I've done some running in late evening hours before, twice at John James Audubon State Park and they have some crazy, dangerous hills man, I was using my knucklight thing, got there around 7 just before they closed and I was out there for an hour. When you're in the woods, it gets darker a lot faster because the leaves are blocking out what sunlight may be left. I love it though, trail runs are awesome and doing it at night is even more so, though around here the summer evening are either very humid, rainy or full of freaking bugs so I normally run trails during Fall and Winter but I couldn't pass up this race, no freaking way... Cool

PRs

Love the Half

Getting lost is half the fun! Nice work!

Fuck that.  I've been lost a couple of times and I hate it.  Races should either be ridiculously well marked or advertised as orienteering events.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Some like it, some don't.... Smile

I guess it would be extremely frustrating if I didn't know the trails, and kind of scary if you are in bear country, but it was fun for my first time.

Edit: Now looking back on it more, I think the trails were pretty well marked and would have been easy in daylight but nighttime threw us off. When running on roads you can look wherever and not really have to worry about tripping over something, but on trails you feel like you have to keep your headlamp focused on the path in front of you (at night) and so you won't look up too often and during a race you might not want to stop too long to gather yourself and figure out where you are supposed to go.

I found out that they do have a couple runs during October, a Zombie run with obstacle course but I don't know if I will actually run it, I might just photograph it and then there is another trail race around that same time but I don't know the details yet. And since I have a half marathon on November 2 so I don't know if I will run either of those two, I have another half marathon on October 19 so most likely I'll be using the 2 weeks between to recover and take it easy.

PRs

Trail Monster

Fuck that.  I've been lost a couple of times and I hate it.  Races should either be ridiculously well marked or advertised as orienteering events.

Meh. I enjoy the challenge. At Laurel this weekend lots of people got lost. My friend Anne got pulled at mile 39 for missing the cutoff after she got lost at mile 32 and lost over an hour. One of our relay runners also got lost and then got injured trying to find her way back to the trail. It's just the name of the game for these types of races. I've gotten pretty darn good at balancing watching my feet and the trail with looking for blazes and markings. It takes practice, just like anything else. Smile

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Getting lost during a 5 mile trail race, maybe a 10 mile trail race but I would not be comfortable with something like ultras and getting lost out there lol. I mean, I want to work my way up to ultras (on trails) someday, preferably doing my first one before 40 years old so I guess I would either have to get over that discomfort or something. Next year I want to do the Indian/Celina Challenge, the 8 mile one. They have a half marathon and full marathon one and I don't think I'll be ready for either of those next year but maybe the following, who knows. The link is:

http://www.runperrycounty.com/IndianCelinaChallenge.html

It sounds really exciting, I live near those woods (an hour or so away) so this winter after my finally 2013 half marathon I am going to try and run parts of those trails at least every other weekend.... preferably with another person or group, someone who can carry the water and stuff Joking

PRs