Beginners and Beyond

A short report about a nice little 25k along the river RR (Read 84 times)

never run

Cliff notes 1:58:55 Garmin time official results due at 4pm for my 25k (15.5 miles).

Long version:

This was my goal race of the Spring, due to life upheavals my goal was to just make the 2 hour club.  Per my very old HM PR I could have been closer to 1:53 but my fall and winter were just too busy with other stuff than running to try for that.

Training, I didn't have a set training plan for this race but I did spend the last 2-3 months trying to keep my mpw at a minimum of 40 miles.  3 and 4 weeks ago I ran 2 HM as training runs spending about 1/2 of each at HMP and half at closer to MP.

The race:  The 5/3 Riverbank Run is my "hometown" race.  In all 3 of the races (5k, 10k and 25k) there are 21,000 runners.  It also served as the US 25k championship again this year.

My Dad dropped me off at 7am and I hung out in the convention center until about 25 minutes before the start .  I ran a mile easy then found the 2 hour paces and lined up for the start of the race.  Then pacers did a great job we did bank a bit of time during the first half since all of the hills are in the 2nd half of the race.  They also talked to each other keeping each other in check from going too fast or too slow.

Splits
    Mile 1 7:28
    Mile 2 7:29
    Mile 3 7:38
    Mile 4 7:37
    Mile 5 7:38
    Mile 6 7:42
    Mile 7 7:29
    Mile 8 7:30
    Mile 9 7:29
    Mile 10 7:30
    I reset my watch for the tangents so mile 11 was long 8:26
    Mile 12  7:35
    Mile 13 7:33
    Mile 14 7:29
    Mile 15 7:24
    last .5   8:21 a guy went down 2-3 times next to me so I slowed up a bit since I knew I was under my goal plus there was an evil hill in the last 1/4 mile. 

How it felt, I think I paced the race pretty perfectly within my current fitness.  I didn't really notice my legs talking to me until I was within my last 3 miles and when it came to bringing it home in the last 1/2 mile I pretty much had the ability to keep pace but not to pick it up.

BenTN

Awesome running Speedy!

way to go. thats pretty fast. keep up the good work

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Adam_McAllen

Beer-and-waffle Powered

How it felt, I think I paced the race pretty perfectly within my current fitness.  I didn't really notice my legs talking to me until I was within my last 3 miles and when it came to bringing it home in the last 1/2 mile I pretty much had the ability to keep pace but not to pick it up.

Awesome! It's too bad we can't all pace ourselves like that Big grin.

In the words of my late-coach : Just hang in there, relax... and at the end of a race anyone you see.....just pass them

never run

Official results update

1:58:42  Of the 6000+/- runners

941 OA, 163 Female, 32 AG

LRB

Those splits are impressive!  That is one helluva race, you must be so happy considering all you have had on your plate!

I could have run this event for half off (I am a Priority Health Champion) but I loath to race for distance at this point in the season.

Clarify: when you say you reset the tangents, what does that mean?  I know what tangents are but did you do it on your watch whilst running or afterwards?  I have never heard anyone say that.

Also, did the same guy fall down on the ground 2 or 3 times in the last half mile?

never run

Since the course was certified I'd get a little bit farther away from mile marker each mile.  At the mile 11 banner I hit the lap button on my watch which was 11.12 at the time; My Garmin measure 15.7 miles instead of 15.53 at the finish.

Yes it was the same guy who fell down during the last 1/2 mile, he claimed his shoe came untied and it looked like on fall 3 he finally figured out it would be better to take the time to tie it I think.

Just B.S.

Wowzers you are fast! Congrats on making the sub 2 hour club despite life's curves!

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

Whoa, that's fabulous!  And what a consistent pace.  Congratulations.

PRs: 5k 19:25, mile 5:38, HM 1:30:56

Lifting PRs: bench press 125lb, back squat 205 lb, deadlift 245lb

Docket_Rocket

Great job, Jane!  Awesome pace!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Wow, great running! You're FAST!

- Andrew

B-Plus

Super race! Congrats on nailing sub-2.

LRB

Since the course was certified I'd get a little bit farther away from mile marker each mile.  At the mile 11 banner I hit the lap button on my watch which was 11.12 at the time; My Garmin measure 15.7 miles instead of 15.53 at the finish.

Ahh okay, I am too stupid to know anything about that, thanks!

bluerun

Super B****

"Nice little 25K" ... pfft!!

Great job!!  Smile

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Wandering Wally

Nice job!

I was there running with a friend.  Our goal was the sub-3:00 club and we just made it :-)  It really was a good day for running.

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast