Beginners and Beyond

As if runners didn't have enough to worry about (Read 112 times)

LRB

Stronger toes.  Really.

From RW:

A runner's big toe has a big job. When your foot strikes the ground, it helps stiffen the tissues along your arch. This creates a stable platform, giving your foot more ability to propel you forward. But if your big toe is stiff or misaligned, it can't do its job as well, which can disrupt your mechanics, says Christopher Johnson, a Seattle-based physical therapist. He suggests testing your range of motion with the "Flex Test" below and, if needed, doing these other exercises three times a week.

Here is the (link) to the video and some other stuff but I am curious, has anyone ever had running issues with their toes other than the nails falling off?

I mean, my second toe is about the length of a cigar while my big toe looks like someone beat it with an ugly stick, but neither has given me problems running...

quick, let me find some wood to knock on!  lol

happylily

Lack of flexibility in my right toe is exactly what led to my plantar fasciitis, according to many therapists. The heel pain is gone, but I now roll my right foot a different way and it causes pain in other areas of the foot. The way I land now puts pressure on my second toe and this is causing it to bunch up and rub in the shoe. Which in turn is causing the toe to bleed while I run and I now run with a swollen infected second toe. Lovely. The things we put up with as runners...

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Docket_Rocket

I have hallux rigidus.  My big toe is super stiff (arthritis) and very inflexible.  It is hard to run when the toe is going through "one of those days".

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

I saw that in RW, and my only thought was, really? Now I have to do toe exercises??

Dave

Love the Half

I saw that in RW, and my only thought was, really? Now I have to do toe exercises??

If I did every damn exercise and stretch I'm "supposed" to do, I'd never run because I'd be spending all of my time doing other stuff.  My general thought is to do something specific if you have a problem but otherwise, spend your time running.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Antipodean

My toes are fine and are one of the last things I think about when running. But it sounds like there are some among us with toe issues.

Julie

"It's not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."

~ Sir Edmund Hillary

PADRunner

Ingrown toenail and a callus on my big toe.

Which in turn is causing the toe to bleed while I run and I now run with a swollen infected second toe. Lovely. The things we put up with as runners...

HL - you are lucky that you don't live in Atlanta. Now, we have quite  a few open-toed sandal days in March. Or at least according to my DW.

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

GinnyinPA

I have a really stiff big toe.  AFAIK, it hasn't made a difference in my running, but some days it just doesn't want to bend.

#artbydmcbride

I have long, almost prehensile toes.  I can pick up a dime with my Big toe and second toe working together.   It doesn't make me run fast though.

Runners run

onemile

I have long, almost prehensile toes.  I can pick up a dime with my Big toe and second toe working together.   It doesn't make me run fast though.

Impressive.

SheCan

Love these descriptions on here!  Thank you for sharing, LRB:

my second toe is about the length of a cigar while my big toe looks like someone beat it with an ugly stick, but neither has given me problems running...--- LRB

now puts pressure on my second toe and this is causing it to bunch up and rub in the shoe. Which in turn is causing the toe to bleed while I run and I now run with a swollen infected second toe.-- Happylily

I have hallux rigidus.  My big toe is super stiff (arthritis) and very inflexible.-- DocketRocket (hallux rigdux = rigid toe breath?)

Ingrown toenail and a callus on my big toe.-- PADrunner

I can pick up a dime with my Big toe and second toe working together. ---Ileneforward

And I have bruised toenails.  It feels like a club almost.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

LRB

It feels like a club almost.

lol

If you want to run faster, your toes need to be more ostrich-like.

Dave

happylily

Love these descriptions on here!  Thank you for sharing, LRB:

my second toe is about the length of a cigar while my big toe looks like someone beat it with an ugly stick, but neither has given me problems running...--- LRB

now puts pressure on my second toe and this is causing it to bunch up and rub in the shoe. Which in turn is causing the toe to bleed while I run and I now run with a swollen infected second toe.-- Happylily

I have hallux rigidus.  My big toe is super stiff (arthritis) and very inflexible.-- DocketRocket (hallux rigdux = rigid toe breath?)

Ingrown toenail and a callus on my big toe.-- PADrunner

I can pick up a dime with my Big toe and second toe working together. ---Ileneforward

And I have bruised toenails.  It feels like a club almost.

That ^ is disgusting to read all put together like that.  But I think we make a nice kickass club. 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010