Beginners and Beyond

Discouraged - could use some support (Read 536 times)

Lex, posterial tibial tendonitis is my nemesis, it's the first running injury I had 4 years ago, and came back in the middle of my marathon training earlier this year.. it's why I couldn't run the Big Sur marathon.

Coming back, I usually will start with a 2-3 mile run, with walking included... sort of like a very modified couch to 5K.  I'll start out walking, then run a very slow mile, then walk, then maybe another very slow mile depending on how you feel. And so on.  A few days a week to start.  The other thing I do is leave my garmin at home, it helps to keep it slow and easy by not seeing how slow I'm running on the garmin.

Not sure about the shoes.  I think you run in neutral shoes, right?  I've always overpronated, so I need support in my shoes.  I don't think my shoes had anything to do with any of my injuries, so its not been anything I've changed up.  It wouldn't hurt to go back and have a gait analysis done, and see if you need something different.

BexKix, Bagel Defender

Hug.  Sorry for your frustration.  Don't worry about venting, you've got the most sympathetic audience here!

When I had my 17 months of on and off, there were times I couldn't come online and look at running posts or emails, and I was envious of the people I saw running outside.  I didn't want to hear about running.  There were other times I needed to bury myself back in the topic, like returning to a favorite blanket.

You know what your heart needs to cope.  If you can distract yourself with some cross training, that will help your return.  If the distraction needs to be a different hobby go that route.  But distraction will help.  And the the rest will hopefully nix any other little things that were going on.

Good luck.

delicate flower

Really sorry to hear about this, Lexi.  Sad  I feel your pain...not just now, but when I was sidelined for six months in 2009.  Have faith that you'll get better, and you'll really appreciate running when you return.  Hang in there.

<3