Beginners and Beyond

10K RR - PR destroyed but could have been better (Read 78 times)

delicate flower

Hola.  DW and I ran a 10K this morning.  This was only my fifth 10K since I started running (Feb 2011) and I hadn't really run a strong one, based on my 5K times.  My PR headed into this was 47:36, set a couple of months ago which was my first hard run following knee surgery (20 weeks post-op).  I knew I'd break that today and it was only a matter of by how much.  I've been running very strong the last couple of months including a heavy dose of speedwork.

This 10K is flat, the weather was 60 degrees with low humidity, and my legs were rested.  It's funny how five steps into my one mile warm up, I knew I was on today.  My goal was to run strong and by effort.  I didn't really have a time or pace in mind.

Mile 1:  6:33.  My fastest mile to date.  A little too fast out of the gate.  I dialed it back after this.  Still a lot of race left.

Mile 2:  6:51.  Feeling good and relaxed.

Mile 3:  6:58.  In a good groove but starting to fatigue a little.  A hard pace was but I wasn't redlining.

5K split:  21:03.  A new 5K PR by 10 seconds.  OOPS.  I spotted Oski and Mr. Oski and relayed this information.  "I'm in trouble!" I said jokingly  Big grin

Mile 4:  6:59.  Getting pretty darn tired now and just trying to keep a good pace.

Mile 5:  7:04.  I'm starting to really hurt at this point.  I started passing 5K walkers/joggers and had to weave a little the rest of the race  (10K was two loops of the 5K course, started at the same time).

Mile 6:  7:19.  I was running a great race and knew I had sub-43 in my sights when trouble hit...a nasty, nasty cramp in my midsection with about 8/10ths of a mile to go.  I pushed through as best I could, but I couldn't run harder and not because of my legs.  That was the most pain I've ever been in during any run.  I was holding my side and letting out some loud grunts.  A course marshal asked if I was ok.  I was, I guess.  Still running as hard as the cramp allowed.  Holy shit was I in pain though.  I was tempted to walk but didn't.

Mile 6.2:  7:18 pace.  A guy passed me and said "Good job, man!"  I told him I was cramping and he said he knew because he was behind me for the last half mile.  I was happy to cross the finish line as the cramp stopped soon after I stopped running.  What the hell.  My legs were not tired so I knew I left some time on the course.

Official time was 43:24, good for a whopping 4:12 PR.  I knew I set a PR, but damn.  And just two months after my last 10K PR.

Overall - 20 / 425.  Holy crap, a top 20.

AG M40-44 - 4 / 29.  2nd place in my AG ran 43:02.  I have no doubt my cramp cost me that.  Dammit.  I'll be honest, I'm bummed about that.

I'm pretty happy with this race but I wish I hadn't cramped up.  What was up with that?  I never cramp on runs.  I left time on the course and my legs didn't hurt like they should.  Oh well...still a hell of an effort and a quite a beatdown I put on my PR.

I think I'll go for a run this afternoon.

<3

BEAST.

Congrats Baboon, that is not a PR, it's like a whole new runner.  Damn is right.

I have no doubt that you'll be getting that AG hardware soon.

Official time was 43:24, good for a whopping 4:12 PR.  I knew I set a PR, but damn.  And just two months after my last 10K PR.

Overall - 20 / 425.  Holy crap, a top 20.

AG M40-44 - 4 / 19.  2nd place in my AG ran 43:02.  I have no doubt my cramp cost me that.  Dammit.  I'll be honest, I'm bummed about that.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Baboon, that is awesome!!!  A 4:12 PR in a 10k?! Fugetaboutit!! Man, you continue to inspire me. Very well done!

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

I blame your cramp and my post race stomach distress on tulmeadow farm. There is only so much corn one person should eat in a week.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

I still can't believe what you're doing after knee surgery.  I think I'm gonna go get knee surgery just for fun.  Wink

Seriously, though, that is awesome.  After yesterday's 10K, I can't imagine running in the 6’s for that many miles in a row!

BEAST is right!

Randy

delicate flower

I blame your cramp and my post race stomach distress on tulmeadow farm. There is only so much corn one person should eat in a week.

This made me LOL

Jay/Klompus/redrum: Thanks, guys!

Up next is a HM in three weeks which is my goal race for the year.  I need to figure out pacing.  McMillan says 1:36 (7:23 pace) which would be a nine minute HM PR.  Ehhhhh...McMillan's been pretty accurate for me but I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around running a HM that fast.  I still have a week and a half to train...that's a couple more speed workouts.  Smile

<3

PADRunner

Must have been a bionic knee replacement. Congrats!

Will run for scenery.

Cheesy Chimichanga, that's fast !

Makes me wanna go skiing and destroy my knees !

What was this cramp ?  A side stitch or more of a regular muscle cramp ?

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

Jess runs for bacon

You know, generally when people get hurt like you did they get slower. Sheesh! Great work! How they hell do you run that fast with a cramp???

By the way, will you & MBC be running hogsback? I had to get a hotel in Hartford or something. Need to know where the yummy food is Smile

hog4life

Phil, congrats on the PR!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Wow.  Are you sure you only got surgery on your knee?  Because I think we can call you Bionic Man!

Great PRs (5K and 10K) and I'm sure you can (and will) break it soon.

Damaris

delicate flower

jjs22:  The cramp was on the front of my body, just below the ribs.  I've never felt any cramp like it.  I've had plenty of side stitches before and can run through them without slowing my pace.  This was just too much pain though.

lilac:  I'm definitely in for Hogsback and am registered, though I will not be "racing" it.   MBC is undecided.  I think we can come up with some food ideas.  Smile

I just got back from a 3.6 mile run to get to 10 for the day.

<3

Hip Redux

jjs22:  The cramp was on the front of my body, just below the ribs.  I've never felt any cramp like it.  I've had plenty of side stitches before and can run through them without slowing my pace.  This was just too much pain though.

Dr. Oski says diaphragm spasm!

delicate flower

Dr. Oski says diaphragm spasm!

Why would that happen?  Just a shock to the system?

<3

Hip Redux

Why would that happen?  Just a shock to the system?

There are a few theories, I have no idea which is 'correct' - one, breathing getting out of whack/rhythm (I'm sure that's my problem because it only happens when I run "fast") or breathing out/in on the same leg all the time.  Other is the jiggling of various internal organs, where they attach to the diaphragm, causing it to spasm.

My guess is you were running faster than your body was used to for that length of time, causing your diaphragm to work more and then spasm.     This is solely a guess based on what little information I have in my head about cramps.