Beginners and Beyond

Penguin's SUNDAILEY (Read 29 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning.  URD to give my sore quad (I think) a rest.  Possibly I strained at the health club on the leg machine on Friday.  Going to storm anyway here.  DW is on her own.

Philliefan33

Good morning Jerry.  A stormy Sunday is a good day to rest. I recommend making some homemade soup and watching football.

My legs are sore, so I will either just rest or do something for active recovery. It's forecast to be warm today, maybe I'llgo for a walk.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Kickboxing for me tonight.

Jerry, hoping the quad gets well soon.

Margo, hope the soreness gets better.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Kick Ass, D !!!

Bin Running

Jerry, hope the quad feel better after rest.

Margo, looks like a good day to snuggle at home. Now, I am starting to blame why my local race doesn't land on sat.

Damaris, enjoy the workout.

15M LR done in the morning. Sleeping in can become a habit. So nearly don't wanna wake up for the run. Am glad I did as its a cool day. Overlap with a local race for cancer research. Lots of happy faces I see and am glad to company for 3M.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

on my way to badass

Morning Pens!

Jerry and Margo- enjoy the rest!

Damaris- Kick some ass!

Bin- congrats on getting out there and getting so much accomplished.

SRD for me.  My neck is better but still sore.  I went hunting at 0'dark thirty.  I think my safety harness aggravates my neck.  Crap.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

Jerry: "DW is on her own."  LMAO!

PF: Tough run yesterday.

D: It seems like you have been doing more kickboxing than running, lately.

Bin: Those morning runs can be tough, believe me, I know.

Stone: Hunting? For what?

I got up at 4:40 and just finished my last 20 mile run in this cycle! It feels good to be done with that as I was not looking forward to it. It is done! Now we are off to cheer for both DDs who are running in an XC race. When we get home it's, chair, newspaper, football, Breaking Bad, 60 Minutes, Amazing Race, with beer and naps thrown in for good measure.

Have a great, relaxing day.

Zelanie

Morning, pens!  One week left!  Weather report looks promising. Smile

Jerry- I like to roll my quads on a rolling pin.  They hate it, but feel better afterwards.

Margo- I bet a walk will be just the thing.  At least, I seem to do better with recovery when I'm moving around.

D- Have fun!  BTW, hubby got to 10 miles quickly!

Bin- Nice LR, bandit!

Stone- Don't you hate it when non-running gear interferes with running?  Hope your next feels better!

Jack- Way to go getting that run done!  Now it's just smooth sailing, right?

on my way to badass

Jack- Completing 20 miles must give you an awesome feeling of accomplishment.

I'm hunting whitetail deer.  Opening day of gun season was Saturday.  Prior to that I was bow hunting.

Zelanie-  I do hate that this crucial piece of equipment is interfering with running.  I guess I'll have to sit in the ground blind instead of a tree.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

hog4life

Stone, what kind of harness are you using? I could wear mine for days with no discomfort.

Jack, nice run, I know you're glad that done! Mine should be this coming weekend, we'll see how it goes. Have fun at the meet.

Jerry, hope the leg is nothing serious.

Margo, a walk sounds good to me. I'm off to read your RR here shortly.

D, yes, kick booty.

Bin, I woke up early to run, then back to bed after breakfast, hot tub, shower. Nice 15M run. I hate cancer.

Zel, do you have your goals set? I can't wait to see/hear how you do.

One more day at the cabin, Sad  . This has been a nice trip, got all the Xmas shopping done, hot tub and beers, good food, drinking coffee on the porch while sitting in the rocking chair. I also did a zip line ride, came with cabin rental, loved this, you should try it. Witnessed a guy proposing to his GF as she came zipping into the landing platform. I got some good pics from our trip, I'll post a few when I get back home to the computer.

I got up and did a 10.15 mile run thi morning, things felt okay with my foot, no worse, no better. I took 7 days off to see if it made a difference. I'll proceed carefully this week to get my mile in, but if my foot takes a turn for the worse, I'll shut it down again.

Zelanie

Mitch- I think a good day would be sub- 1:55, a great day would be sub- 1:52.  A realistic expectation is somewhere between those two numbers.

I've always wanted to try a zipline, mostly because I was too heavy to do it for many years.  I am glad you enjoyed it!  Bravo on getting the shopping done already!  DH got a bit snarky yesterday when he asked what I wanted and I named 3 running-related things.  All 3 things were safety-related about running in the dark, which I've been doing plenty of lately.  Glad the foot is feeling good!

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Stone, what kind of harness are you using? I could wear mine for days with no discomfort.

Jack, nice run, I know you're glad that done! Mine should be this coming weekend, we'll see how it goes. Have fun at the meet.

Jerry, hope the leg is nothing serious.

Margo, a walk sounds good to me. I'm off to read your RR here shortly.

D, yes, kick booty.

Bin, I woke up early to run, then back to bed after breakfast, hot tub, shower. Nice 15M run. I hate cancer.

Zel, do you have your goals set? I can't wait to see/hear how you do.

One more day at the cabin, Sad  . This has been a nice trip, got all the Xmas shopping done, hot tub and beers, good food, drinking coffee on the porch while sitting in the rocking chair. I also did a zip line ride, came with cabin rental, loved this, you should try it. Witnessed a guy proposing to his GF as she came zipping into the landing platform. I got some good pics from our trip, I'll post a few when I get back home to the computer.

I got up and did a 10.15 mile run thi morning, things felt okay with my foot, no worse, no better. I took 7 days off to see if it made a difference. I'll proceed carefully this week to get my mile in, but if my foot takes a turn for the worse, I'll shut it down again.

Cabin sounds great, but sheesh......You took a week of for the foot & went right into a 10 mile run??  That makes MY foot hurt & my foot's not even hurt!! Wink

Until the MRI, I'm doing upper body stuff.  Tonight is pushups/pullups and mowing the lawn.  Usually if I walk fast w/ the lawn mower it can get a little cardio in me, especially on the uphill parts.

Randy

on my way to badass

Hog4life - its a HSS reversible vest. It's heavy. I'm not sure why it's bothering me this year. Maybe those 15 pounds I lost shifted where it sits. Maybe I'll consider one of those Spider harnesses for next season.

SheCan

Thanks everyone for the congratulations on my race.   They still haven't posted times yet.  Sad  I don't know why I always forget to start my Garmin in a race, but it seems always to be the case.  For me, a 2:10 or less would be good on that course, though better would make me super duper happy!

Jerry-- oh a stormy day sounds kind of nice.  It's been a long while since we've had one of those.  Hope your leg starts feeling better.

Margo, that sounds like an good plan.  Spoil yourself a little, too, you deserve it.

Docket--- you rock tough chick!

Bin-- you may be tapering, but that's still a lot of miles.  Great job.

Stonefence-- ugh@ the neck cramp still being there.  I hate those like that that hang on for days.  Good for you for getting your butt up so early though.

Jack-- 20 miles at 4:40, omg, everything about that sounds punishing... Good for you for making yourself do it.  Where are you on Breaking Bad now?  We just finished episode 1, season 5.

Hi Hi Z!

Mitch-- the cabin and the zipline both sound wonderful.  I've never done a zipline, but have every intention of doing so--- hopefully sooner then later.  Great job on the run.  Hopefully the days off is enough for your foot.  Take it easy, and come back rested.

redrum-- Ha @ Mitch hopping into the 10 mile run.  He's in very good shape redrum.  The longer you run, the more you'll find you can do things like that.  Good for you for doing the upperbody work while on IR.  Yuck though at mowing, unfortunately it has to be done sometimes.

Today was a scheduled rest day, laundry and creative painting.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson