Beginners and Beyond

SaturDAILY Penguins Sleeping In...Again (Read 22 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the caommon benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

'Morning !!!   Snow on the way.   We will run inside today, but we'll wait until afternoon, since the track is crowded on Saturday morning.  Have to break in the new Guide 7's.  Have a great weekend.

Zelanie

Morning!  Got my 13 in last night.  I tend to get cold at the end of my long runs, so I overdressed a bit for the temps and that definitely helped.  I started to get tired around mile 8.5, and by 11.5 I noticed that I was daydreaming and had really slacked off.  So I made myself pick it up, and that little lift in my stride felt great.  My last mile was the most fun one that I ran, so I ended it feeling like I could have kept going.

Today I have the run that I didn't get in last Monday.  So, 7ish with 8 sets of strides.

Jerry- Hope that you love the new shoes!

Cheri- Such sad news about your neighbor.

Jack- Glad your family and house are OK!

Baconista- Good to see you back!

SO42- I always try to buy last year's shoes.  I figure if I can stay a year behind the current "model" year than so much the better!

Lauren- Glad the leg is feeling better.

hog4life

Surgery went well for my FIL. It's crazy here at the hospital with 20+ family members. I found a local running trail close to a river that is very popular, and only about 3 miles away. So after breakfast and coffee, I'm going to go get a run in. I'll try to get some pics to share.
          Zelanie

Mitch- Glad to hear the good news.  A running trail sounds like the perfect way to keep your head clear with so much going on.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Glad to hear it Mitch.  Hospital waiting rooms with in laws would be on my least favorite places to be list.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

Jerry: Enjoy the shoes and beer (I'm assuming you are having some today and/or tomorrow).

Zel: I kind of like daydreaming durning long runs; it gets my mind off the pain and suffering. It's nice finishing a run like that. One thing that I learned during my marathon training was to try finish long runs with an extra push. Also, thanks for the nice words. The house is safe, but it is a mess from the ash.

Hog: Good news about FIL. That run should feel good.

As for me, I just finished seven miles of hills. Not bad. It has taken me much longer than I thought to recover. 18 weeks of hard training really took it out of me.  Tonight we are going on a pub crawl with some friends. I hope I survive.

GinnyinPA

Jerry - hope you don't get too much snow.  Enjoy your track run anyway.

Z - good job on the back to back runs.  Running on tired legs should be good training.

Mitch - I'm glad the surgery went well.  Getting away for an hour or two will be a good break.  I hate hospital waiting rooms.

Jack - enjoy the pub crawl this evening.

We woke to a dusting of snow and a blast of cold air.  It's 20 degrees, feels like 8, out there.  Ben got his walk, but it's not a day for spending a lot of time outside.  I was hoping for a hike, but that will have to wait.

on my way to badass

Hey Penguins!

I finally got to the library for some internet.  I have to go back a few days to catch up with everyone.

Z- I find myself zoning on long runs.  I may be daydreaming but I generally don't remember what about after the run is over with.

Jerry and Ginny- snow has arrived here as of late morning.  Temps are supposed to drop Mondayish.

Mitch- great news about FIL.

Jack- Enjoy the Pub Crawl!

After work today I need to get in 4 miles to complete my weekly 20.  We'll see.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Well....we decided to run outside as it was a balmy 17F and no wind.  Felt great but snow started about a mile into the run.  Not too slippery, but  hard on the eyes and toes were frozen.  Need to get toe warmers I guess.   Stopped at 4.5m at 10:15.

Jack, I am ready for a Tyrannena Rocky's Revenge.

Got my renewed passport (took 5 days) so I am ready to cruise.

hog4life

Thanks everyone for the kind words for my FIL. I put in 11.1 miles, longest since my marathon. Jack, I totally understand that feeling, I'm slowly getting it back. The trail I found is beautiful. I took some pics and will get them posted here when I get back to a computer.
                        obiebyke

Mitch, glad about your FIL and that you got to go run for a while away from all that family.

Jack, is the ash all over the interior, too? Man, I bet that's going to be a pain to get rid of. Glad you're safe.

I did my nice approved 2 just now. Beautiful--fresh snow (but a plowed path) and sunshine.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

SheCan

Jerry-- good for you & DW for hanging in  there with all your snow this year.

Zelanie--  "I started to get tired around mile 8.5, and by 11.5 I noticed that I was daydreaming and had really slacked off.  So I made myself pick it up, and that little lift in my stride felt great.  My last mile was the most fun one that I ran, so I ended it feeling like I could have kept going."

I love how in control and focused you are.  Next time I'm having trouble, I hope I remember to "Do like Zel would do."  It's neat that even though you were picking up the pace, it ended up being the best, funnest mile.

Mitch-- so glad about your FIL.  I bet the trail around there is really pretty.  I'm originally from S. Missouri along the Arkansas border, and I love the Ozark mountain area.  Not sure if it's quite like that down by Hot Springs though or not.  Oh, just read about your 11 miles you got today!  Great job.  Hopefully the activity will help during this stressful time.  Can't wait to see the pictures.

Jack-- great job with the 7 of hills.  How was the air quality when you ran today?  I know you feel like you're recovering slowly, but you're such a strong athlete that when you're ready to start training again, you'll have no trouble.  Everyone (even you super stars!) need some down time.

Ginny-- I'm sorry your warm spell didn't last longer.  At least Ben got a bit of a walk.

SF-- hey ya!  Good luck with getting your 20 miles in this week.  How's your weather been lately?

Obie--  at least you're still making yourself get out there.  Do you have any trouble running on the snow?

Yesterday, I got a broken 11, and today 6.  I'm really looking forward to my RD tomorrow.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Obie: No, the ash is limited to the outside. We have been keeping the windows closed.

She Can: Because of the wind, the air quality here is ok. I hope to get up on the hill later today and I will try to get some good pictures. You can see it from our house just up the street. By the way, I'm not athlete! LOL!

SheCan

Obie: No, the ash is limited to the outside. We have been keeping the windows closed.

She Can: Because of the wind, the air quality here is ok. I hope to get up on the hill later today and I will try to get some good pictures. You can see it from our house just up the street. By the way, I'm not athlete! LOL!

Oh good!   Wind is not always so bad.  Yay@ pictures!  I take it though that it's still burning though?  Do they have it contained?

By the way, I'm not athlete! LOL!

Just shuttup!    We all know you are....

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson