Beginners and Beyond

The ShamRock n Roll Run 10k: Pacers Report (Read 72 times)

LRB

I paced my second event today leading the 55 minute group at The ShamRock n Roll Run 10k, which is the first event of the Triple Crown Series for the Kona Running Company.

Participants who complete each event get a special medal at the end of the year, in addition to a finishers medal for each race.  Also, if a male or female is the overall winner at all three events, they get $1,000.00.  Not bad huh?

As far as anyone knows, Kona is the only event organizer in the country who offers pacers for a 10k.  Although on the surface the concept seems odd, it was well received last October for the Wicked Halloween Run getting tremendous positive feedback, and by all accounts will remain a part of the series.

Because of the bling, these events are extremely popular and always sell out.  This year there were 2000 in the field for the 10k, 1600 in the 5k, and 132 for the 1 mile run.

It was cold as hell this morning in the Big Mitten (22 degrees at race start) but because I like to wear the event shirt as a pacer, I ditched my running jacket and wore only a long sleeve tech shirt, with the short sleeve event shirt over it, and loose fitting pants.

Honesty, it wasn't all that bad, except that my fingers were freezing to the bone despite two pair of gloves.  Waiting 25 minutes outside in that howling wind was not too particularly exciting either, but I am surprised that I could run in those temps comfortably without a jacket.  That is something to keep in mind for future events of my own.

There were three pacers in my group and eight pacing groups total; 45, 48, 50, 52, 55, 60, 65, and 70 minutes.   The run itself came and went relatively quickly (from my perspective anyway).  Our first mile was a bit slow yet at 9:05, mostly because of the congestion.  It took a mile or so after that to dial right in on pace and when we crossed the finish, my watch read 55 minutes, 6.23 miles.

Pacing has become really important to me, I take it very seriously and can see myself doing this for years to come.  While the pace is my easy pace (8:51), I am mindful that others might be struggling at times during the race.  So sometimes you offer encouraging words, and other times you just shut the hell up.

We were given bibs this time around so they could track our performances, and I had no problem with that whatsoever.  Because they will simply learn what I already know; I am perfect.  Big grin

Thank you for reading.

Rick

hog4life

Totally cool Rick! I'm doing my second mentoring/coaching/pacing starting next week and I can't wait. I have a good feeling of accomplishment by doing this, just like you do. Congrats!

Luke79

Thanks for doing that Rick.  I have a question for you about pacing:

What are your thoughts on interaction with the runner's for whom you are pacing?  In my HM I ran with the 2:00 guy but he had headphones on.  Whenever you tried to talk to him, he would just say he couldn't hear you over the music.  I didn't really care for that, but I still appreciated him for getting me to my sub 2:00 time, and took the time to thank him after the race.

Ball of Fury

Pretty damned perfect pacing!!  Nice job!  I think pacing would be fun....I should try to learn to pace myself first, though, shouldn't I?

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

LRB

Thanks for doing that Rick.  I have a question for you about pacing:

What are your thoughts on interaction with the runner's for whom you are pacing?  In my HM I ran with the 2:00 guy but he had headphones on.  Whenever you tried to talk to him, he would just say he couldn't hear you over the music.  I didn't really care for that, but I still appreciated him for getting me to my sub 2:00 time, and took the time to thank him after the race.

In my group, we ask every now and again how everyone is doing, and answer questions from runners as we go along.  While I do respond to questions, I tend to not initiate conversation with anyone following me understanding that many of them are running at 80% effort or more.

Aside from calling out water stations, porta potties, turns and the like, I talk with the other pacers, or the obvious experienced runners.

I am not judging the guy but I view pacing as a job, and personally would not wear headphones.

Zelanie

Thank you for pacing!  I remember reading your last pacing report and I appreciate how seriously you take it, especially since those who choose a pacer probably are doing so to help them get to a stretch goal.  That's such a good idea to put the pacers in a group, too!

outoftheblue

Looks like you nailed the pacing out there.   It's really great that you volunteer to do that.   One day I'd like to pace HM -- I think I would be more nervous pacing an event than if I were racing it.

Life is good.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Cause you're perfect...very nice.  It is a little odd wearing a bib to a slower time.  Like I wonder if anyone every looks at my athlinks and sees that I ran a slower than usual race and wonders what the heck happened.  Then I remember that nobody is scoping out my athlinks anyway.

As for taking it seriously, I completely agree with you and appreciate that you do.  The service is worthless, and actually a detriment, if you don't.  It's a privilege to be able to help others to their goals, and really a lot of fun.  You definitely hit on the psychological aspect of it too...knowing when to talk, when not to talk, and how to bring the best out of the people that are running with you.

The concept of pacers at a 10k is different, but not a bad idea at all.  I'm surprised they don't offer a 40 minute group though..that would seem a pretty logical one to me.

Great work getting them in on time, and I'm glad you didn't freeze.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Mostly harmless

As someone who has had both good and not so good experiences with pacers I really appreciate that you take it so seriously. I'm sure the folks that ran with you appreciate it too!

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

LRB

Pretty damned perfect pacing!!  Nice job!  I think pacing would be fun....I should try to learn to pace myself first, though, shouldn't I?

You would be surprised at how quickly you reign yourself in when others are counting on you.  If you get the chance, try it!

Good luck next week Mitch!

Zelly Zel, yeah I cannot pace myself for crap, but do well for others.  Go figure!  >:-/

SIAR, when told of their plan to have us bibbed, I specifically requested the bibs be assigned to a number i.e pacer 1, 2, 3, etc. instead of the runners name for that very reason, and that is what they did.

There were some of the old timers who didn't care, but generally speaking, the rest of the pacers did not want an official time and that is what we conveyed to them.

Scott, my two experiences depending on pacers during an event bombed.  One went out too freakin' fast, and the other was all over the place, so I never want to be that guy.

delicate flower

Good stuff, LRB!  That just looks cold...look at the folks all bundled up in those pics.

<3

YAYpril - B-Plus

Nice job, Rick. I've read all your pacing reports and I'm continually impressed at how spot-on you always are. The world needs more pacers like you. Smile

happylily

Great job, Mr Pacer! It's a great that you've offered your pacing services, not only for your running community, but for yourself as well. What you learn while voluntering as a pacer, you can apply later in your own races. Very smart. And what a great medal and shirt! Happy St Patrick Day, Rick! Now time for a good beer, you've earned it. :-)

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Awesome Rick.  Sounds like you did a perfect job, as you said LOL.

And I agree it was cold. Damn.  I went for my 14, and had to stop to use a vault toilet at the state park. I think I got frostbite down there. No kidding. Sorry.. TMI.

LRB

Boon and Code, i just went outside to my truck and could not believe I ran in that crap.  And it's warmer now than it was this morning!

April, I think if any pacer were ever burned by a pacer, the world would be a better place because they would not want that to happen to someone else.

Supp lil!  I will have to pass on the brewski.  I am still on the wagon droppin' L B's for goal marathon weight which ironically, I attained weeks ago, but now just want to keep it going for a while.  My weight is dropping faster than the stock market after Obama won the election!