Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: Run for CRIT 5K (Read 9 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

This was my 65th race of 2015 and my first 5K of 3 5Ks I was doing on December 12, 2015. Held at Heroes Stadium, an 11,000-seat open air football type stadium of the North East Independent School District. This was the inaugural 5K and 10K to support Children’s Rehabilitation Institute Teleton (CRIT) USA, which serves children with neurological and musculoskeletal disorders.   Personally, I was a “March of Dimes” baby, born with a birth defect, so I have a ‘soft spot’ for children-with-disabilities causes, and try to do these types of races whenever I can. For an inaugural event, quite a nice turn-out for this one, and there was also a kid’s 1K.   Timing and course setup was done by iRun Texas, a very good local running specialty store, with super-great staff. The weather was unseasonably warm – even for South Texas in December – with a temp of about 69 degrees at the 8:30 a.m. start time. Rain was threatening, but never did happen, just kind of ‘spit’ on us a bit off-and-on. I did the 5K and ended up with a 32:34 chip time, good enough for 2nd in my age group. Guess there were not a lot of people in my age group, if my slow-self received a medal.

BEFORE THE START

Heroes Stadium is only about 4 miles from where I live, so I got to sleep in a bit longer than I normally do before going to a race. Arrived with about 45 minutes to start time and wandered around getting some photos.

photo 018_zps0fqxg7ag.jpg

photo 017_zpshb6eynzy.jpg

photo 004_zpslyqjc4jf.jpg

photo 009_zpsicb62j6s.jpg

photo 030_zps3jugy6n7.jpg

I saw this on a gate and thought it was funny....I read it and thought "Well, duhhhh...." 

photo 011_zpsrsfswv4x.jpg

Some of the participants, volunteers, etc.

Me and friend Joe.  His Wonder Dog, Yeti, was not here for this one.

photo 015_zpscwhmfatf.jpg

Me and Mitch from iRun Texas.  First one is a 'selfie' taken by Mitch with my camera; he has better selfie skills than I do, lol.

photo 021_zpsxwy09o47.jpg

photo 024_zpsbe5eh9ls.jpg

Some other great people from iRun

photo 031_zpsyj9kyjkt.jpg

photo 032_zpsh3dak9nz.jpg

photo 033_zpsnbavbgcz.jpg

photo 003_zpsvkyq2vq2.jpg

photo 005_zpsacoiysuk.jpg

photo 007_zps6szysm7c.jpg

photo 008_zps1f6zm6il.jpg

My friend MC Mark Purnell  (left) and friend.  Mark is the announcer for a lot of events I do during the year.

photo 010_zpsowb5hgmr.jpg

Prize-winning Judson High School Band, who performed the National Anthem for us

photo 012_zpsl3oybvmp.jpg

photo 013_zpsiarclxcd.jpg

photo 014_zpsbypsslxg.jpg

photo 019_zpssw31j5n1.jpg

photo 020_zps8cdjir4p.jpg

photo 027_zpsvcutxxvl.jpg

photo 028_zpsduezm3bj.jpg

photo 029_zps5ydkktso.jpg

Yay, Team RWB (Red White & Blue) - a veteran's organization of which I am also a member.

photo 034_zpsyhzw3jk0.jpg

ON THE COURSE

We did about a ¾ lap on the track, then went out of the stadium onto the paved surrounding roads. The course also included a lap through Morgan’s Wonderland Park – a park open to all comers, but designed in mind for children with special needs, and quite famous world-wide, the first park of this type ever built. People from all over the world visit this park and Italy recently followed their example and built a special needs park in their country. After Morgan’s Wonderland, it was back onto the roads, then back onto the stadium to finish on the track.

photo 035_zpsnq9witur.jpg

photo 036_zpsvew1dpm7.jpg

photo 037_zps9svjldwm.jpg

Passing Toyota Field where the San Antonio Scorpions soccer team plays

photo 038_zpszhpdkdx5.jpg

photo 039_zpsrfbmnjiu.jpg

photo 040_zps8nq5n6i3.jpg

Heading toward Morgan's Wonderland park

photo 041_zpsappzsfwg.jpg

photo 042_zpskyarx0ep.jpg

photo 043_zpsbmbgtchu.jpg

In Morgan's Wonderland...I've made a loop around the lake and am looking at the other side where I just came from

photo 044_zps4r3sztql.jpg

photo 045_zpsvyi53gug.jpg

Into the main part of the park

photo 046_zpsy6z2egtr.jpg

photo 047_zpsu4vwirxq.jpg

photo 048_zpsccfxedca.jpg

Onto the streets again...

photo 049_zpsa0pj0kaj.jpg

photo 050_zpsukfpiugd.jpg

photo 051_zps70uwgbro.jpg

photo 052_zps3xtyuxmx.jpg

AFTER THE FINISH

Wandered around after the finish getting some photos, but had to go pretty quick to get home, shower, into my next set of running gear and get to my 2nd 5K location for the day. Mitch of iRun Texas was kind enough to give me my medal ahead of the ceremony start time so I could get moving. Thanks, Mitch!

Me and friend, Bernadette, who did the same three 5Ks today as I did.  Number 1 for the day finished!

photo 053_zpsffz9x9sl.jpg

photo 056_zpsavf2tenv.jpg

photo 057_zpssayqasyb.jpg

photo 058_zpsjwginpfx.jpg

photo 059_zpsk45zamw2.jpg

photo 060_zpsp3suqvfm.jpg

photo 061_zps1b5defov.jpg

photo 062_zps9kozl2sj.jpg

photo 063_zpsdn8veudv.jpg

photo 064_zpsuzifoe9x.jpg

EPILOGUE

This was the inaugural 5K for the event and it was a lot of fun and I hope it grows in the future, as it certainly is for a good cause. The route was well planned out. Most races done at this location don’t include the park or the stadiums, it’s just run around the adjacent park roads (YAWWWWN…boring), so starting and finishing in Heroes Stadium and doing a lap through Morgan’s Wonderland is a nice touch for this event. Definitely would do this one again. Mucho thanks to iRun Texas, the volunteers, sponsors, law enforcement out there for us…all the people that made this one happen for we participants.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

Looks like a fun course.  Congratulations on the AG medal.

LRB

That's a nice turn out for a first year event. No post run beer for a Scott T dog?