Beginners and Beyond

Tropical Tuesday Penguins (Read 29 times)

SheCan

Morning Tropical Penguins!

Bin- glad you got any miles at all in in the rain.  Very cool picture, btw.

ffboy---LOL @ the comb-over!   Hope your mission trip to Haiti goes well.  Can't wait to hear about it!

Hopesmom-- man, it sounds like almost everyone is getting rained on today.

Jack-- "Also, I lost a toenail last night, but the strange thing is what was underneath; there is this membrane thing there that is harder than skin but not as hard as a nail. It looks like a nail but I don't think it is because it's too soft. Any ideas? It doesn't hurt or anything, it's just weird!"  Freaky!  No ideas here.  I've never even lost a toenail before.

I did 6-1/2 miles in beautiful DRY weather.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Sloooow.

Quick check in, will come back when I'm recovering from Jillian.

3 miles this morning, 11:19 overall pace. I'm committing to 30 minutes of running each time. Once I get to 30, I can usually squeeze out a few extra minutes. 5 minute warm up (walk), 33 minute run, 7 minute cool down (walk w/ incline and decline). I'm going to starting a warm up again will help with some aches and pains. Off to visit Ms. Michaels for 25 minutes Sad

Dad on the run.

Funny for the day!

Go up to your SO and say "I'd fight a bear for you. Probably not a grizzly bear. Or a brown bear. Or even a panda bear. Maybe a care bear, I'd fight one of those sonsabitches for you!"

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

GinnyinPA

Today's tropical theme seems to be a rain theme, which is appropriate, I guess.  It's raining here today, but since it was a rest day, I don't really mind.  We managed to get the dog walked before it started.

Vance - I'm glad you got a good trail run yesterday.  Will the snow really be gone before your half, or are they expecting more.  As weird as this year has been, I'd be prepared for anything.

Bin - nice that the track is so close to your home, even if it's not completely covered.

Damaris - hope you had a good day in Court.  Loved the RR.

Tomas - glad the walking helped loosen your muscles.  I know it really helps me.

Jerry - I'm sure you're really looking forward to having your daughter home again.

Mitch - Good news from the lung doctor.   Just what you wanted to hear.  Sleep well.

Jimmy - you might want to give your blister a chance to dry out and heal before running again, especially if your shoes are still wet.

Fitfatboy - have a safe trip to Haiti.

Jeff - if you went too fast Sunday, maybe take it easy today?  I didn't think Oregon got hot.

HopesMom - you should have just worn your swimsuit in the rain, then no problem right?  Hope it dries out for you tonight.

Jack - I think the nail will harden, now that it is exposed.  I had something like that several years ago, when I crushed a finger and the nail fell off a few months later.  Not a problem.  My husband loses toenails fairly often from hiking, and he says that the new nail hardens pretty quickly.  I only lose my little toenails, which disappear completely for a few years, then grow back in weird shapes.

Singer who runs a smidge

For Damaris, I absolutely did not take a nap at my desk.  And apparently my tech also did not take a nap at his desk.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Sloooow.

N-Bug, nice work on the redemption run! Hawaiian Shirts and Bermuda Shorts Day, how funny! Wish I could've suggested that to my partner this morning, he's the company Safety and Compliance Officer, haha.

Bin- You did great with the crappy weather you were dealt. Is it hot as well as rainy? Sounds miserable!

Docket- Getting ready to read your RR after "breakfast". Does it make it easier for a while to run at home, after experiencing worse? I guess it's tough to compare miserable with more miserable though.

Tomas- Good job on the 3, I hope the soreness eases soon!

Jerry- I hope your daughter had an amazing time! I'm so jealous. I miss Europe desperately.

Traci- Nice job with the 2 last night. How is running going? Hopefully you're strong and any problems are getting better.

Jimmy- Sorry about the run, eeesh. Sometimes so many things go wrong it seems like a comedy of errors. Wipe the slate clean and give it another shot tomorrow.

Hog4Life- "Night!" Good news about the doctor!

Fitfatboy- I hope you have an awesome vacation!

Jeff- Heat makes me bonk too. Hopefully your 5 will go great today!

HopesMom- You're doing great on your walking program. Which one are you following? I think I want to add a walk day into my week, my treadmill is actually an incline trainer, so I think a slow walk with incline would be good for my legs.

Jack- Did the toenail gradually break down? Usually when it's slowly falling off, your body creates a starter toenail underneath it. Toenail traumas freak me out, but my daughter had a similar thing happen. By the time the toenail came off, there was a "baby" toenail underneath it.

Cherie- Sounds like a wonderful run! I wish we had "spring" weather here, lol. Wait, aren't you in a hot area too? I forget most people don't have my complete lack of heat tolerance.

Ginny- Enjoy your rest day Smile

I really need to get better at time management. I got up at 9:30am, fed and watered the indoor and outdoor chickens, fed the kids, did other random stuff, 45 minutes on the dreadmill, 30 minutes of Jillian, made egg, veggie sausage, tea and bagels for lunch. And it's 1pm. Where the heck did my morning go? Also, I can't wait for the chickens to start laying. Store eggs are just baaaaad. There is almost an ammonia like smell to them. I'm sure when I'm getting two dozen a day, I will start complaining about how many we have. So far only 3 are definite roosters, out of 36. Lol.

Singer who runs a smidge

Coralie, I went to the RWOL forum for New Runners, the Starting Line, I think they call it.  They've rolled out several training plans, but most of them are $10 each, which annoys me.  The walking one is free, I think it's called Start Moving or something like that.  Anyway, it starts you off by walking for 15 minutes (hey, even with my knee I can do that!) and works up to 60 minutes over 8 weeks.  So I'm about halfway through.  I figure once I can walk for 60 minutes, I can probably handle re-starting C25k.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Sloooow.

Coralie, I went to the RWOL forum for New Runners, the Starting Line, I think they call it.  They've rolled out several training plans, but most of them are $10 each, which annoys me.  The walking one is free, I think it's called Start Moving or something like that.  Anyway, it starts you off by walking for 15 minutes (hey, even with my knee I can do that!) and works up to 60 minutes over 8 weeks.  So I'm about halfway through.  I figure once I can walk for 60 minutes, I can probably handle re-starting C25k.

I'll check it out! I have problem with my right knee. I had an MRI when I was 16 and was told I had low levels of cartilage and the ligaments in my knee were twice as long as they should be. My knee dislocates sometimes, but I have yet to have a problem when I'm running. I'm hoping it has strengthened my knee a bit. The last time it dislocated I was 9 months pregnant, leaning out of the shower for a bottle of shampoo (big mistake). At least now I can look back and laugh, lol.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Off today and not for fun reasons...had a little bit of dental work done, yuk..  Knew I would be feeling kind of 'blah' afterwards, so got a run in this morning before the appointment at Lackland Air Force Base.  Not exactly tropical, for a change - altho San Antonio will hit 80 degrees today - temp at my run time was 62 degrees...but the humidity was 87% and the dewpoint was also high....very darn muggy out there!  Ended up with 3.8 miles done.   Now I'm home chillin' after my appointment, feeling no pain...nice pills the dentist gave me!

Pain...what pain?  Oh yeah....

Ma takvi se nasite kucijna denes

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Congrats on your great trail run, Vance!  Good luck with the upcoming HM. Well, you could compromise a bit and wear bright-colored obnoxious underwear... Big grin

Congrats on getting your run in, Bin.  Yeah, I remember that rain in Asia, especially during 'the season."  Couldn't even see across the street sometimes, it was coming down so heavy. Nice photo!   I'm on 30th floor. If you look at the building on the right with a small balcony protruding. That's part of the track which is not covered.  Good gracious, Bin!  You run that high up?  I'd have to run with one of those 'short altitude' opening parachutes...I'd be afraid of falling over the edge, lol.

Congrats on your marathon, Damaris, just read your report.  You did great! Especially in that weather!

How are the legs feeling, Tomas?  Surprised you can walk yet, lol.

Enjoy your family reunion, Jerry!  Hope your DD had fun, but also hope she is glad to be home again.

Congrats on your miles, Traci!

Jimmy, if you're going to do speed-work with dogs, you need to be at the greyhound track.  Wink  Sorry about the blister.  Get some "Second Skin" from one of your local pharmacy departments, great stuff.   I don't know about a bear...I might fight the chihuahua next door for her.  My funny with her:  I tried the dishwasher joke I had read about somewhere...last night she asked me if I could get the dishwasher loaded.  I said "Sure!"  Opened a can of beer, handed it to her, said "Drink up!"    SHE didn't think that was funny, lol.  Luckily, I was out of 'smack" range.... Joking

Sleep well, Mitch!  Congrats on the miles!  I got a message on my phone from my doc:  "Why haven't you scheduled your colonoscopy yet?"  I'm due for one this year, oh boy. Roll eyes

Nice photo, 2F Boy!  Have a safe trip to Haiti!

Sorry about the bonk, Jeff.  Hot weather can be a bear to run in.  Acclimatize, acclimatize, acclimatize, in easy stages, and always hydrate hydrate hydrate!  Looks like we are finally heading toward 'real summer" here...in the 80s  as our highs all this week for us!

Here's a plan, HsM..just do your walk in your swimsuit...and then go swim since you're already wet.  Wink

Congrats on your 6 miles, She Can! It must be starting to get really hot in AZ right around now.

Way to go on your workout, Coralie.

Happy rest day, Ginny.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

fitfatboy

More cowbell!

Okay all, going dark until next Thursday.  Might take a couple of days then to get pics.  Run well, run safe!

Scotty-don't worry, be happy!

STILL HAVING FUN!!!

SheCan

Cherie- Sounds like a wonderful run! I wish we had "spring" weather here, lol. Wait, aren't you in a hot area too? I forget most people don't have my complete lack of heat tolerance.

I really need to get better at time management. I got up at 9:30am, fed and watered the indoor and outdoor chickens, fed the kids, did other random stuff, 45 minutes on the dreadmill, 30 minutes of Jillian, made egg, veggie sausage, tea and bagels for lunch. And it's 1pm. Where the heck did my morning go? Also, I can't wait for the chickens to start laying. Store eggs are just baaaaad. There is almost an ammonia like smell to them. I'm sure when I'm getting two dozen a day, I will start complaining about how many we have. So far only 3 are definite roosters, out of 36. Lol.

Well, I''m in Arizona, Coralie, but near mountains, so although it sounds hot, it's not super bad with the altitude.  And I'm pretty heat intolerant also.... once I start whining, y'all might be willing to pay me to stop.

Is this your first year with chickens?

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Singer who runs a smidge

My swim has been swum!  This is the first time I've been in the pool since classes started this semester, I think.  I just couldn't stomach the thought of a bunch of people flooding "my" space.  It should be pretty quiet this summer, though, so hopefully this was just the first swim of many.

Sloooow.

Well, I''m in Arizona, Coralie, but near mountains, so although it sounds hot, it's not super bad with the altitude.  And I'm pretty heat intolerant also.... once I start whining, y'all might be willing to pay me to stop.

Is this your first year with chickens?

I have a friend on Facebook who lives in Arizona, some of the weather reports she posts are frightening!

This is our 3rd or 4th year with chickens. Our flock got wiped out by a fox/raccoon in January (I left the coop door open by accident, argh). April 1st we had 36 of our restart flock killed by neighbourhood dogs (they tore through fencing). I have 24 outside now, I'm actually sat on my bed with my laptop, watching them while they free-range in their pen for a while. 12 2 week olds are brooding in the house.

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

Busy day here - nope, I couldn't wear bright colors to work, unfortunately.  Black uniform shirts and khaki pants.  I'd get a few laughs then be told to go home and change if I'd tried.  LOL  Ginny - snow is all gone except a few spots where it been piled up over the winter for plowing.  Matter of fact it has been 60+ (even 70's) for nearly two weeks.  I'm thankful.  As far as my upcoming HM I am not sure what I am going to wear - I have to wait and see what the forecast will be.  3 years ago it was 45 deg at the start of the race and 70 when we finished.  That is a big stretch.