Beginners and Beyond

compression preference: socks or sleeves (Read 70 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Just curious, I currently have compression socks but I wonder if sleeves are better.  Or is it just a matter of preference?

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Hmmmm......To be honest, I've truly worn neither but I do have some socks that come close.  I'll answer this 2 ways cuz I *think* you're talking about calf-sleeves but just in case you're talking about arm sleeves.......

#1.)  Compression socks because the socks I own that compress my calves also have a tighter band around the arch of my foot and I love that feeling of snug all the way up the leg.

#2.)  I don't get arm sleeves....(except for maybe warmth?).  I wish there was something for shoulders because sometimes on long runs my should joints start to ache.

I hope that helped & didn't totally fubar the topic. 

Randy

Zelanie

Socks.  The LRS only carries sleeves and insists that socks aren't necessary because all of the soft tissues that can swell are in your legs, not your feet.  But I feel better in socks and they are more comfy. Smile

And for what it's worth, our local 80-year-old HMer (who rocks and does our track workouts with us) can vouch for the fact that your feet CAN swell if you just have the sleeves.  She was going to go get some of the socks after I started wearing them to the track.  She has the sleeves because she shops the LRS and listened to to guy there.

Docket_Rocket

Socks.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I do like my socks Smile But I have been curious about those calf sleeves, you think they have rainbow colored compression socks? DH has a fetish with long socks up to the knees so I figured I'd look around.

Next question, do you like wearing them during hard runs or after your hard runs? And which is better, during hard run or after hard runs?

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

onemile

Sleeves so you can wear your own sock.

delicate flower

Sleeves so I can like Meb and win marathons.

<3

StepbyStep-SH

For running - sleeves because I'm a sock snob and want to still be able to wear my Smart Wools and Feetures.

For recovery - socks so they can start the compression lower and because I love the extra support then for my arches and ankles.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

Docket_Rocket

I do like my socks Smile But I have been curious about those calf sleeves, you think they have rainbow colored compression socks? DH has a fetish with long socks up to the knees so I figured I'd look around.

Next question, do you like wearing them during hard runs or after your hard runs? And which is better, during hard run or after hard runs?

I run marathons and ultras with compression socks. They help me noy be sore after those at all.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Sleeves so I can like Meb and win marathons.

I think Meb uses the socks.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

delicate flower

I think Meb uses the socks.

It appears you are right.  No wonder I suck.

<3

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I run in sleeves and recover in socks. I don't like to run in the socks because I'm in love with my Balegas and Feetures and I don't like the way the compression socks feel on my feet when I run.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

I prefer sleeves because my feet sweat a lot and I don't find compression socks breathable.  I only wear them for recovery, and even then only in limited circumstances, but I'm only racing up to 10K and training up to 10 miles.

Zelanie

I wear compression for running, not for recovery, although I do love a good pair of knee socks when I'm not running.

I wore sleeves for my race on Sunday, with another little compression footie for my heel, and the end result was that I got a huge swollen donut around my ankle between where the calf sleeves stopped and the footie started.

From the Internet.

I'm definitely very compression-sock-curious - I have the calf sleeves and like them for recovery, but I don't like to run in them.

I often feel like I want more compression around the lower ankle/foot when I have the sleeves on and sometimes I think they aggravate my ankle tendons or whatever the heck's in there with the abrupt cutoff between compression/no compression, but I have bought too many running things over the past couple months so I will wait patiently for my birthday before I spring for the socks :P