Beginners and Beyond

Bali HM 2013 RR (Read 78 times)

Bin Running

Short version

Bali Half Marathon. 16 Jun May 2013 Indonesia, Bali

Ran HM @ 1:51:59. #82/749

Longer version

7th HM that I had participated.  2 weeks after running an unpleasant HM.

Goal for this race:
    Goal 1: Have fun..

After my unpleasant HM, I have 2 weeks to “prepare” for this HM.. Well, there’s really nothing to prepare, I am recovering on the 1st week and tapering on the 2nd.. Just easy runs without any speedwork. I look up the route profile but there is not much abt the elevation. From last year RR written, I figure it will be flat for up to KM5 then slowly up the hills as we pass through the villages then down hill from KM15 or so.. I lived in Singapore where most of the land are flat.. Hills will be a major problem for me..

On Sat, our family of 3 left for the airport in the morning..  DS is still feeling sleepy.. The flight only took about 3 hours. We catch a taxi and made our way to our hotel at Nusa Dua..  I am glad to see that the area has ample security. They even have sniffer dog at the entrance.. I was like “Wow!” Race pack collection is on Sat and we still have time to have a proper meal after settling down.. Met up a friend who was another flight to collect the pack together. He’s running the half with his BIL..  We are supposed to catch a 3am shuttle services from our area to the race.. Morning call to be at 2am..

Didn’t really slept much but still feeling fresh. Had a  can of ice coffee and a banana cake when I woke up at 2am.. My buddy texted me that he’s not running due to a headache.. I guess I am in this alone.. Slow jog to the ferry point and I am the 2nd to be there.. The gentlemen before me was a Thai, doing a 10K. We chatted a little while waiting and he has a flight to catch after the run.. That’s risky to me..

The ferry to the race point was abt an hour even without traffic.. Feeling a little effect of the iced coffee while on the ferry and the 1st thing to do was to look for porta potties. There is a little queue but I managed to hold it.. haa.. Doing #2 is a little tricky as there is no light.. Iphone came in handy here.. Too much details, I guess.. Tongue  Still another hour to the start of the Full as I just wander around. The Full started at 5am and followed by half 30 mins later. The 10K started at 6am. The field is rather small from what I experienced at home.

Here are my splits (in km, sorry guys...)

1-8KM

I was very relaxed as I only wanted to experience the atmosphere of an overseas race.. Certain part of the route were not lit so most are running carefully. The route as fairly flat here with ample room for all of us.. We did a turnabout at KM5 and the hills started at KM7.

9 – 16KM

This is where the fun begins.. We are greeted by children and villagers along the way.. They cheers and gave us hi-five and I felt like a super-star here.. The good thing is we ran past this route before the Full racers.. haa.. They are still full of energy and enthusiasm. It’s all downhill from KM14 and I managed to pick up my pace..

17 – 21KM

Not much supporters after KM17 and I can concentrate on maintaining my pace..I think to myself, it would be nice to be able to maintain 5min/km.. So, that’s the pace I am shooting for. The route merge with the 10K and I passed a lot of people here.

My Garmin showed 1:52:02.

Collected my drinks and medal. The ferry back to my hotel area will only leave at 930am and it is 2 hours wait.. I am a little hungry and the thought of missing my hotel buffet breakfast saddened me a little.. Tried to find a cab but it is almost impossible.. Well, it is impossible.. The ferry left just after 9am and my Thailand friend has a 12noon plane to catch.. Driver dropped him just outside the airport at 1030 due to traffic.. Hope he made it to his plane..

Thanks for reading and pardon my grammar and spelling..

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Bin Running

A shaky video..

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151483148068603

More data for the geek out there.. I like these sort of data.. haa

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Great job, Bin!  I for one would like to see how fast you could run in great weather.  Love the pics and video!

Damaris

Will run for scenery.

Nice report. Great run !

Bali sounds like a beautiful and interesting place to visit.  At least you got to see some of it in the daylight !

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

hog4life

Congrats! Good time and cool medal.

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Congrats on your HM! It looks like a fun time.

- Andrew

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Thanks for sharing!! Congrats on another strong HM finish!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

happylily

I never realized how handy those iphones could be. Thanks for the tip. Big grin When talking to people there, is Englsih the common language? I love reading your RRs from Asia, so exotic sounding to me! It's really cool to imagine that we all share the same hobby, but are so spread all over the world... Love your pics!

Great job so soon after your last half, two weeks ago! Excellent finish time for a "fun" run. Bravo! Smile

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

GinnyinPA

Bin - you ran really well, especially given the big climb in the middle.  Sounds like a fun event.  Congratulations!

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Bin, I think it is safe to say that you met your goal. The coolest thing is the villagers coming out to support you. I bet your splits were fast in that bit! Also, hats off to for getting up at 2:00AM for a race!! That is dedication! I know you can run faster than 1:52 but on this day it didn't matter. You had fun and that's what you wanted to do. Well done!! Of course it goes without saying that you rocked the headband. Smile

Zelanie

Sounds like a great time!  Very nice sunrise picture.  I'm glad you were able to enjoy it and treat it like a fun vacation race.  The video was awesome, too- talk about great crowd support. Smile

tracilynn

Another great run for you.  Wow that elevation look a little scary.  The medal is very cool too.  Have you bought a display hanger for all your medals yet?

~~~~~~~

Traci

Bin Running

Damaris, thanks.. I thnk only runner will appreciate these kind of video cos it is too shaky.. Tongue

jjs22, the sunrise is beautiful.. Glad to be part of this.

Mitch, thanks..

Brr, it was a fun run..

Kristen, thanks. Pretty happy with this race myself.

Happylily,  those are the time you glad you had an Iphone.. Luckily, there is no need to sacrfice a socks.. Bali is full of tourist.. Everyone speaks a certain level of English.. So, it's not really a problem.

Ginny, thanks.. The trick with hill is probably to run them slower, I guess.

Jack, yeah for  headband.. hee We were greet by small pocket of villagers along the way and it's very cool..

Mel, the school children were a fun bunch.. They were shouting their lungs off. Very touching in fact..

Traci,  bought 1 from Diana (or is it Diane) while she clears out her last few pieces.. Haven't really thought of where to place it.. It read "marathon".. so.. haa.. I haven't done 1 yet.. Maybe will write a small "half" somewhere..

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

SheCan

Congratulations on another HM!   I know it was only a fun run, but you still have a good time.  That metal is really cool, and you're totally adorable in your pictures!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Bin - If I'm ever in the position to do an international race, it would be a blast to run a race with you.  You seem like a hell of a guy, and know how to have a good time.  Without you, I wouldn't have my headband either.  Nice run man.  I think that once the smoke clears at home, and you get back to training you're going to be set for a big PR toward the end of this year.  I'm not sure what distances your targeting.  It may be the half.  It may be another distance.  You're getting a lot of good experience though, and you train intelligently.  Hats off to you.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013