Beginners and Beyond

5K PR in a 4 mile race (Read 65 times)

No more marathons

Haven't raced since last Dec 2nd and being in the middle of some moderate marathon training (40 or so per week)  wasn't sure how this 4 mile road race would go.  But it was at the local Oskar Blues brewery, free beer, and an 11 am start so I figured why not.

Had a wild thought that I would try to go sub 7's (hey - I'm fat and old), but mainly wanted to get 1st in age since the award was a hand crafted beer mug from a local potter.

First quarter mile was a bit quick at 6:10 but then settled into a consistent pace right at the goal pace.  Not being in mental race shape showed in the last half mile when I was passed by a couple of youngsters in their 40's and just couldn't respond - although the last mile was 2nd fastest.

Finished in 28:03, got my age group win by about 3 minutes (60 - 69) and in checking the garmin chart see that at the 5K mark I was 3 second faster than my "official" fat old man PR set back in 2009.  Guess there is something to this higher mileage training after all .

Do I get to count that new PR?  Hell yeah!

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

Zelanie

Nicely done!  You would have smoked this youngster with that time!  Congrats!

Will run for scenery.

I'd run fast, too, for free Oskar Blues. But I must not be fat and old enough, 'cause I still think sub-10 is fast....

Three minutes ahead of your age group - was it like showing up too early to a party ?  Or maybe doing a stint as a chaperone ?

Nice job!

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

Docket_Rocket

Great job!  Imagine when you actually RUN a 5K.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

LRB

Finished in 28:03, (60 - 69) 

That is impressive!

delicate flower

Great job, bluesky!  Congrats on running away with the AG win!  Get any good swag for that?

In my last 10K race, I set a 5K PR the first half of the race.  I counted that as my unofficial PR.  It lasted four months.

<3

LRB

Great job, bluesky!  Congrats on running away with the AG win!  Get any good swag for that?

Yes, a hand crafted beer mug.  Say, we need pics of that.

delicate flower

Yes, a hand crafted beer mug.  Say, we need pics of that.

I always want to see AG or OA placement swag.  It angers me when people don't share that with us.  IT ANGERS ME!  

<3

YOU HAD ME AT OSKAR BLUES!!

Their Ten Fidy Imperial Stout is da absolute bomb, one of my favorite beers ever. I imagine the name comes from the fact it is 10.50%abv.

Oh and nice running!

Dave

delicate flower

The GORDON was my favorite Oskar Blues beer back when I enjoyed that sort of thing.  Wasn't a big fan of the $13 price tag for a four pack of cans though.

<3

happylily

That is some awesome speed at any age. Bravo and way to represent the old, Bluesky! Good luck in Boston!!!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Setting a 5K PR in a 4 mile race is impressive. Congrats!

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Did you say "free beer?" Congrats on the AG win. I can only hope to say that someday. Smile

No more marathons

Since you asked.  Pretty cool huh?

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

LRB

Nice!