Beginners and Beyond

Losing a lot of weight. Have you? Do you need to? (Read 189 times)

kittenkat

The c word is repulsive

I caught the tail end of one of the episodes of America's Biggest Loser here in the UK this morning. It's not a show I would normally watch because I'm still not sure that I agree with the format, but anyway.

I watched the weigh in, some of those guys and gals have lost SO much weight, it must be completely life changing. I must admit I was getting a bit emotional at some of their stories.

Anyone here done it for real or is anyone at the point where weight is inhibiting their life/happiness?

Love the Half

It has been my misfortune to stumble across The Biggest Loser on occasion.  The only thing I took from the show as that fat people cry a lot.

I started running because I wanted to lose weight.  I don't know that my weight interfered with how I was living my life but it forced me to buy a pair of pants with a 42 inch waist and I found that completely unacceptable so I went out and ran half a mile and I kept at it.  I have heard that I no longer snore.  Other than that, I know that all of those normal health markers your doctor checks have improved dramatically.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

happylily

Never had the misfortune of stumbling across that show. If I did, I'd quickly switch to something else. I think losing that amount of weight must be one of the hardest things in life and it says a lot about the determination of the people who succeed in doing that. But I am against turning everything into a game, almost a circus.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Zelanie

I haven't watched the show, so I don't know how they structure their weight loss plan.  But I am currently 105 pounds lighter than when I started losing weight in 2011.  And yes, it's changed my life.  I certainly didn't run before- I couldn't run.  But even though I'm spending more time running, I feel like I have more time for other things in my life because I have so much more energy.  Before, just going to work and getting through my day would leave me completely drained.

outoftheblue

Wow Zelanie!  What a huge and positive life change you've made.

I've watched BL a few times and my take away is that it teaches people to lose weight in the worst, and most unsafe manner possible.  Massive amounts of exercise which continue on despite budding injuries and a near starvation diet.  I had a friend in LA who was in the industry who told me that almost all the contestants regain the weight they lost on the show.  No wonder.   All they've learned is that weight loss is an extreme, and extremely unpleasant, thing.

Life is good.

Hip Redux

I find the BL an amusing show, and yes, includes a lot of crying by the contestants, but is the worst in terms of actually learning how to lose weight.  I worry about anyone who is trying to emulate a reality TV show, esp. that one.   There's nothing "real" in almost any reality TV.

edited: to clarify on what I meant. lol

I've lost a little weight and need to lose a lot more.  All told 80-100 lbs. I put it on 5 or so lbs a year over 15 years.  I don't want to take it off that slowly, but if it takes 5 years, I'm OK with that.  I'd rather lose 15 lbs a year through gradual lifestyle change that I can maintain, than try to lose it all in one year through drastic change that will almost certainly fail.

BL, from what I've seen, isn't taking average overweight Americans - folks like me or Zelanie or LTH that need to lose 50-100 lbs.  They have folks that need to lose 150 or more, and are having them lose it at a rate and by a method that should only be done with close medical supervision.

Jess runs for bacon

Wow Zelanie!  What a huge and positive life change you've made.

I've watched BL a few times and my take away is that it teaches people to lose weight in the worst, and most unsafe manner possible.  Massive amounts of exercise which continue on despite budding injuries and a near starvation diet.  I had a friend in LA who was in the industry who told me that almost all the contestants regain the weight they lost on the show.  No wonder.   All they've learned is that weight loss is an extreme, and extremely unpleasant, thing.

This. You should read some of the inside stories online.

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

The only reason I'm interested in the show is that this season they have Olympic lifter Holly Mangold on it.  I admit I've begun watching it to see how they portray her.  She's a super heavyweight, which is rarefied even in the lifting world, and her weight does hold her back, but it's still fascinating that she'd submit herself to such ministrations.  I suppose, all in the name of publicity--and Oly lifting can improve with lower weights (i.e. she could enter a lower weight class).

In general, though, the show kind of terrifies me.  It's also highly misleading.  The contestants don't actually do that much of those high intensity workouts they show, I have read.  What I believe is the case is they do mostly low-impact cardio for hours at a time.  Fair enough.  I just can't imagine obese folks at home tuning in and deciding they need to start performing these high-impact, high-intensity routines to lose weight.

Not been obese myself but I have obese relatives and honestly it makes me sad how very hard it is to reverse that sort of lifestyle... so much of modern life plays into it.

PRs: 5k 19:25, mile 5:38, HM 1:30:56

Lifting PRs: bench press 125lb, back squat 205 lb, deadlift 245lb

Sloooow.

I watch the Biggest Loser for the "wrong" reasons. It's a guilty pleasure for me. Too much crying, too extreme, but hey, that's what makes good television? Should I say that being bullied in school, or abused as a child, is why I am fat? Nope. I'm fat because I eat too much, food is good, lol.

I haven't lost a significant amount of weight, only 57lbs so far. My turning point was having surgery and I convinced myself I was going to die. I promised the universe I would get healthier, lose 50lbs, if I could survive. Yes, I'm a hysterical drama queen at times.

I like having some weight on me, my goal is still the upper end of normal (28lbs to go). I want some caloric time padding in case the zombies come, or I get gravely ill. Hopefully the running will help me keep some distance between me and them.

tinman11

I haven't watched the show, so I don't know how they structure their weight loss plan.  But I am currently 105 pounds lighter than when I started losing weight in 2011.  And yes, it's changed my life.  I certainly didn't run before- I couldn't run.  But even though I'm spending more time running, I feel like I have more time for other things in my life because I have so much more energy.  Before, just going to work and getting through my day would leave me completely drained.

When I trained for my first marathon I thought I'd be dealing with a major time management challenge for months.

Intead, it was as if I had more time for everything.  I think the structure of the training plan helped with scheduling everything else.  And the extra energy, improved diet benefits, etc......

I was about 365. snug 54 pants and 4xl shirts. I have been down to 252. I am 260. Would like to get to 220 or so.

It it takes time and diet is more of it than the exercise. The more I run the more I eat.

I watch the show if it's on.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

RSX

I tried watching that, but it wasn't to my liking. I guess I would rather see a mix of different body types. 1 season seems like too short of a time to lose a bunch of weight. When I go to the gym, I would prefer not to hear people yell at each other.

GC100k

In the past decade, I've been 40 lbs more than I am now and 40 lbs less. It doesn't make much difference in my life in general or in how I feel, but it does make a BIG difference in my running , which is why I talk about it a lot here even though I don't think about it much except when I'm running.

I watched BL once because of the buzz it got on running forums.  Once was enough.  I don't know if fat people cry more, but you aren't getting cast on that show unless you cry in the audition.  Because it's not that interesting to watch people sitting around not eating, they promote the myth that weight loss is all about exercise.  And the weight losses they have are totally unrealistic unless you start at 400 lbs and losing weight is your full-time job.  The show I watched they kicked a girl off and scolded her because she only lost 8 lbs that week.  If a real person loses 8 lbs in a week, it's too severe, but on that show is was too little.

A BL contestant spoke at a local elementary school and said something like "exercise is boring and difficult, but you have to do it".  What a horrible message for kids!  My kids are super fit and have never "exercised" in their lives.  They play.  They practice their sports that they love.  They've never done any exercise they didn't want to do.

The show's not all bad.  I won a sweatshirt  in a Biggest Loser contest at work.  I was 0.1 lb from winning $350.  I think biggest loser contests are cool.  I'll get slapped down for it here, but I also think it's kinda cool that the show suggests that it's possible for fat people to run distance (yes I know that one guy cheated in that marathon).

Mmmmm...beer

I don't care for the show, I think it presents an unrealistic fitness/weight loss scenario, but if it helps even just a few people get motivated, then I guess it's worth it.

I was 270lbs at my peak (possibly higher judging from some old pictures, but 270 is the highest documented weight I have), got down to a low of 183, but then got a lil too comfortable and was holding steady around 195.  Getting focused again now to drop some more weight for my marathon.  I'm pretty sure I'm back in the 180s now, but won't know for sure until I get home next week from work travel.

Every part of my life has been improved by losing weight. Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!