Beginners and Beyond

Hermes 5 mile RR (pics incl) (Read 104 times)

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Hi everyone!  Just a quick little RR from me.

This was a large race for me (aside from marathons), with about 4,000 plus participants.  The course covered a lot of the Cleveland Marathon course, which I've done twice.  The weather didn't cooperative and gave us a combination of freezing rain and snow, making for some very slushy, wet conditions and 30 degree temps.  I still ended up racing in my split shorts, a singlet, some arm warmers, a hat and throw-away gloves and was comfortable enough.  It was also my first run in my new LunaRacer +3s, and I loved them.

I basically trained through this race as I'm busy getting ready for the Toledo Marathon, but by trying to get ahead of a little foot pain I was having last week, I actually came into the race feeling fairly fresh.  I intended to go out a little conservatively and build into the race, but it really didn't pan out that way.  My Garmin also went a little funky so I had to try to pace mostly by feel.

Right as the race began I found myself stepping in puddles, so I pretty much gave up and realized that I was going to get pretty wet, especially with the water kicking up on my legs.  The race started on a small uphill and then a bridge, which was pretty slippery.  Still, I felt comfortable and just tried to settle in and clump with some other runners.  At mile one the timer called out a 5:50.  I was a little concerned as I was going to start more slowly, but I felt good so I held my pace.

The next mile made a turn to a familiar area, heading down to the Browns stadium.  The runners really started to thin, and I was basically running with 3 or 4 guys.  Next thing we know, we come up on a dude wearing cargo pants, a wool hat with ears, big wool socks, and CROCS!  I decided my "B" goal for this race was not to be beaten by him.  The course made a little turn by the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and hit a small uphill, at which point my other partners started to slow.  I was feeling good and just held my pace.  Mile two called out at 11:40.

The rest of the miles got a little blurry, and I was pretty much running by myself.  I was still trailing Croc guy too.  I ran through a puddle that was actually a pothole in this mile and am very happy that my ankle didn't turn more than it did.  My pace was still feeling good and I kept pressing on.  Mile 3 called out at 17:40.

About this point, the course doubled back on itself which I always find helpful in shorter races.  My stride continued to feel free this far in, but the race started to get tougher as we made a couple climbs.  The total course climb was only 275ft, which I actually think makes for a good course, but a hill is a hill.  I ditched my throw-away gloves and just reminded myself that I run hills all the time.  At this point I finally got by CROC-Man, and could tell that he was slowing considerably.  Mile 4 called out at 23:45, so I did a little head math and realized I just needed to keep moving along and I'd go sub 30.  Before the race I was thinking that 30:30 would be realistic, so this gave me a little boost.

I had about a half mile climb that was a struggle up a bridge, but after that the course finished on a small downhill.  I didn't have anybody to catch or worry about catching me, so I gave it as much as I had without really going into a sprint.  Finish time:  29:23, overall pace 5:53, just missing an AG award and putting me in the top 35 (winner ran 24:42, 4:56 pace).

I'm really thrilled with this result as all my training has been focused on the marathon.  The best part is, it predicts to a significant sub-3 marathon, which is my major goal.  I guess all my high mileage weeks are paying off!  I'm also still healthy, which for me is probably the biggest victory of the day.

me mulling around pre-race, in St. Patty day kit

me at finish, arms too tight as always

165lb mastiff I met before the race!

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Ball of Fury

Good lord you are fast!!  Nice RR and great race!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Hip Redux

Excellent!!

YAYpril - B-Plus

Great job, dude! 35th overall is incredible with a field that big. Hope the pothole didn't do any damage.

Outstanding performance! And how cold was it in a singlet?

I seem to remember a guy on the forums who ran in Crocs, maybe it was back on RWOL. I think he actually ran marathons in them. Kee-razy.

Dave

B-Plus

Great race SIAR, and way to not let Croc Man pass you. You're gonna rock that marathon!

LRB

You run with the likes of those who I will never know!  Damn that's fast!

Side note; I always wanted a Bull Mastiff, but never got one.

workinprogress11

Wow, you are super speedy!  Congratuations!  Just looking at your pictures made me shiver.  Brrrrr.

Luke79

Awesome race.  More importantly, you seemed happy with it.  Grats.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Outstanding performance! And how cold was it in a singlet?

I seem to remember a guy on the forums who ran in Crocs, maybe it was back on RWOL. I think he actually ran marathons in them. Kee-razy.

Honestly, I didn't feel cold. I even tossed my gloves, although I regretted that for a few moments. I remember the croc poster too....he didnt stick around long here.

April...thanks. The pothole incident wasn't too bad, more just down and in than a twist. A cone would have been nice though.

LRB...you never know, I got beat by a 63 yr old. You're killing your speed work, so you have time.

BPLUS...thanks - that is the hope!

Workinprogress...I got the shivers after the race, for sure. This winter racing stuff is a bit nuts.

Luke...very happy...so nice to be feeling good.

Amik and Oski...thanks!!!

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

BruceD555

You ran an awesome race and I loved the in-race "B goal" twist. Man, those miles are paying big dividends in your training and that's such a confidence booster for Toledo. BTW, 35/4000+ is kicking it over the top!

Train smart ... race smarter.

Adam_McAllen

Beer-and-waffle Powered

Nice race. I can't believe some guy in crocs was up that far in the first place. Actually, he's probably pretty legit and was doing it for a joke. Better luck with the AG award in your goal race.

In the words of my late-coach : Just hang in there, relax... and at the end of a race anyone you see.....just pass them

Zelanie

What is up with races starting uphill towards a bridge today?  Glad you were able to keep your footing in the conditions.  And good job passing croc-guy!  Good luck on that sub-3!

Great job SIAR!

35th in a race that big, awesome.

I'm glad that all your hard training is paying off.

LRB

Actually, he's probably pretty legit and was doing it for a joke.

I thought the same thing.