Beginners and Beyond

Hermes 5 mile RR (pics incl) (Read 104 times)

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

Holy Moly - you are a rocket ship! Fast, fast, fast!!!

Especially given the conditions!

I would probably have been at that race if I had been up in Cleveland, but instead, I had to settle for a 5K that started at around 55 degrees. Smile

Not rubbing it in - I know that this time of year, weather can change dramatically from day to day. We're enjoying a couple of warm days, but we've got storms coming Monday.

""Next thing we know, we come up on a dude wearing cargo pants, a wool hat with ears, big wool socks, and CROCS! ""

Are you sure that wasn't Bob King? Smile

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

MrNamtor

Really nothing to say to this except GREAT!!! Can't wait to see your next marathon time.

YAYpril - B-Plus

""Next thing we know, we come up on a dude wearing cargo pants, a wool hat with ears, big wool socks, and CROCS! ""

Are you sure that wasn't Bob King? Smile

Ha! Smile

Pinktastic

SMOKIN' fast!!   Way to go, SIAR!!   Congrats on an awesome race!!

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

outoftheblue

Fantastic race!  And thanks for the cool picture of the mastiff.

Life is good.

Nicely done SIAR!

First Race

Hot Chocolate 5K Chicago November 4, 2012 30:17

Second Race

Penguin in the Park 5K Decatur Illinois March 23,2013 27:08

Scott

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Great job on your race! You are seriously fast - I think I see smoke coming off of your shoes!

I wonder if that guy was wearing the new "zero drop crocs". I hear they're fast!

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

SheCan

Danged, that's a fast paced race!   And to come in at 35 out of over 4000 participants, is beyond amazing--- congratulations and wow!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Quick disclaimer:  didn't mean to mislead...the event had 4000+, which included the 2 mile race.  So feel free to be unimpressed Smile

Bruce...The "b" goal amused me too, but there are some things you just can't stand for!  It really was a big confidence boost.

Adam...You're right, fella probably was pretty legit and looked fit.  He did seem to slow by a minute or two overall though.  The funny thing was, that was the only time I wasn't really just in my own head for the whole race.  Mentally it was about as strong as I've been.

Zelanie...yeah, weird hill starts.  I think we're both looking great for our goal races.

Shirfan...Thanks man...just trying to keep up with you!

RunTom...Couldn't have been Bob King...didn't hit me up for a car.  It was a good event and I'd definitely do it again.  Enjoy those temps while you've got them...I'd be bragging too.

Namtor...Thank you.  I hope it lives up to this one.

Pink...Thanks!  I felt pretty pinktastic, in a manly sort of way.  Although perhaps feeling green would have been more appropriate?

OutofBlue...Wasn't that mastiff a beauty?  I'd have spent more time saying hi but I didn't want to annoy his owners.

Sparker...Thank you

Gustav...Those new shoes better not have been smoking, it was my first run in them ha.  I guess the slush would have kept them from catching fire.  Zero drop crocs ha good stuff!

Shecan...I appreciate the kind words.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

happylily

You are awesome... All this hard training is obviously paying off. Congratulations, SIAR! You will rock that marathon!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

By the way, I'll be up in your neck of the woods next week. Driving up Tuesday, back on Saturday. Should be an enjoyable 3 days. Of course, if there's a bad storm coming, I will stay home instead. I'm weak these days.

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

Supersono99

I busted out laughing about croc-man, my husband had to ask me what was so funny.  I got cold seeing your picture in those shorts and knowing it was cold and wet. Congrats on your sub-30, wow! That dog is freaking HUGE!

Hi everyone!  Just a quick little RR from me.

This was a large race for me (aside from marathons), with about 4,000 plus participants.  The course covered a lot of the Cleveland Marathon course, which I've done twice.  The weather didn't cooperative and gave us a combination of freezing rain and snow, making for some very slushy, wet conditions and 30 degree temps.  I still ended up racing in my split shorts, a singlet, some arm warmers, a hat and throw-away gloves and was comfortable enough.  It was also my first run in my new LunaRacer +3s, and I loved them.

I basically trained through this race as I'm busy getting ready for the Toledo Marathon, but by trying to get ahead of a little foot pain I was having last week, I actually came into the race feeling fairly fresh.  I intended to go out a little conservatively and build into the race, but it really didn't pan out that way.  My Garmin also went a little funky so I had to try to pace mostly by feel.

Right as the race began I found myself stepping in puddles, so I pretty much gave up and realized that I was going to get pretty wet, especially with the water kicking up on my legs.  The race started on a small uphill and then a bridge, which was pretty slippery.  Still, I felt comfortable and just tried to settle in and clump with some other runners.  At mile one the timer called out a 5:50.  I was a little concerned as I was going to start more slowly, but I felt good so I held my pace.

The next mile made a turn to a familiar area, heading down to the Browns stadium.  The runners really started to thin, and I was basically running with 3 or 4 guys.  Next thing we know, we come up on a dude wearing cargo pants, a wool hat with ears, big wool socks, and CROCS!  I decided my "B" goal for this race was not to be beaten by him.  The course made a little turn by the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and hit a small uphill, at which point my other partners started to slow.  I was feeling good and just held my pace.  Mile two called out at 11:40.

The rest of the miles got a little blurry, and I was pretty much running by myself.  I was still trailing Croc guy too.  I ran through a puddle that was actually a pothole in this mile and am very happy that my ankle didn't turn more than it did.  My pace was still feeling good and I kept pressing on.  Mile 3 called out at 17:40.

About this point, the course doubled back on itself which I always find helpful in shorter races.  My stride continued to feel free this far in, but the race started to get tougher as we made a couple climbs.  The total course climb was only 275ft, which I actually think makes for a good course, but a hill is a hill.  I ditched my throw-away gloves and just reminded myself that I run hills all the time.  At this point I finally got by CROC-Man, and could tell that he was slowing considerably.  Mile 4 called out at 23:45, so I did a little head math and realized I just needed to keep moving along and I'd go sub 30.  Before the race I was thinking that 30:30 would be realistic, so this gave me a little boost.

I had about a half mile climb that was a struggle up a bridge, but after that the course finished on a small downhill.  I didn't have anybody to catch or worry about catching me, so I gave it as much as I had without really going into a sprint.  Finish time:  29:23, overall pace 5:53, just missing an AG award and putting me in the top 35 (winner ran 24:42, 4:56 pace).

I'm really thrilled with this result as all my training has been focused on the marathon.  The best part is, it predicts to a significant sub-3 marathon, which is my major goal.  I guess all my high mileage weeks are paying off!  I'm also still healthy, which for me is probably the biggest victory of the day.

me mulling around pre-race, in St. Patty day kit

me at finish, arms too tight as always

165lb mastiff I met before the race!

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Awesome job!!! That is an incredible time...your sub-30 5 mile time is what I hope to run one of my next 5Ks in haha. Especially with all the puddles and that hill you really rocked that race! Can't believe there was a guy running in Crocs, glad you smoked him Smile

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

B-Plus

I forgot to ask, did you get a Hermes wallet or any other kind of orange swag in your race kit?

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Happylily...thanks...it does feel good to see the training yielding results.

RunTom....yep, definitely want to avoid any potential storms!  Are you staying up in Cleveland?  I'm actually about an hour away...always wish I were close enough to do more running in the MetroParks.

Supersono...Your reaction to Croc guy was about what mine was on the course.  3 of us at the same time just gave a WTF?

Kristin...Thank you!  If we can just get you healthy you'll have your 5k for sure.  By the way, I totally understand your frustration with all the injuries.  I've been there too.  Just keep plugging along until you find out what works for you.

BPlus...Haha, not the brand Hermes but more of the son of Zeus Greek mythology guy.  I'd have taken the wallet though.  Actually there was no swag with this race - not even a medal!

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn