Beginners and Beyond

Melalgia Monday Penguins Need Vitamin I (Read 27 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!) ShyShyShy

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Good morning friends.

5 miler done.

Make today great

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Melalgia: pain in the limbs.  Probably several penguins may be dealing with that today after the weekend.  Including me, after doing an 8K on Saturday and a hilly 5K on Sunday.  My legs are a tad sore today.  So break out the Vitamin I (ibuprofen) or biofreeze or aspercreme or  your pain reliever of choice and have a happy and relaxing Monday.

Rest day for me today.  Here are the links to my two events I did over the weekend.  LOTS of photos for each.  I tend to get carried away with my photo-taking and don't realize just how many I took at an event until I get home and start posting them.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/69f10da8e99c4b779c432e2d2b706efd/resume#focus

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/939583dd169044938a9ff182bbcdf55c/resume#focus

Good morning, Tomas, congrats on your 5.  I may not make today great, but I might make it GRATE...as in grated cheese, that is, put some of that on my lasagna for lunch.  Big grin

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Hey Scotty!  Good morning.  I was just about to start a penguin thread, and then there it was.

I wanted to get out earlier than I did this morning, but I did get out in time to get in a little over 6 miles.  The run itself felt great, but I left the shirt at the door.  It was 73 when I left with 89% humidity.  Right now, the humidity is 93% with a dew point of 70.  P3 thought I had been running through sprinklers.

This week I'm only supposed to run 70% of my peak mileage, but there are some pretty intense runs.  Part of me says that 70% is a pretty small portion, but the other part of me says, "Who the hell am I to question Jack Friggin' Daniels?".  So, I'll try to stay fairly close to the recommended mileage for the week.  That doesn't mean that I have to like it.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Scotty - Enjoy the rest day.  I really enjoyed the RR's.  8K's a bit further than your usual, and you exceeded your expectations on it.  I'm sure you could use some vitamin I.

T-rod - Stop telling me what to do Angry.  Just kidding.  I will make today great.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

The only time I question jack Daniels is when he said have one more shot and the next morning I was like what train just hit me Smile

Tomas

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I need vitamin something that's for sure. Too many drinks at the wedding last night. Work is going to be miserable. SRD. Thank god.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  5 miles tonight.

Awood, LOL.  I would kill for 70DP right now.  But it is a high dewpoint, so hydrate well next time!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

T-rod - I've got one Jack Daniels that tells me I can be a better runner, and another Jack Daniels that tells me I could be the UFC Heavyweight Champion of the world.  Combine the two, and I'll just run around the world whoopin' people.

Kristin - Running cures a hangover in short order.  I promise.  Jack took my advice once.  He can verify that I'm not just being a jerk.  That first mile will feel like crap, but I prefer to beat a hangover in 10 minutes rather than deal with it all day.  Then again, P3 would rather sleep it off even if it takes all day.  It's a personal preference...lol  Great job this weekend.

Docket - I've been hydrating a lot this weekend, because this week is going to be in the 90's all week with scattered thunderstorms.  So, we know it's going to be steamy when the clouds break.  My plan is to do most, if not all, of my running very early in the day and drink plenty of water the rest of the day.  As I splished and splashed all the way home in my drippy running shorts and squishy shoes, I wondered how in the heck you run marathons down there in Florida and don't look like a well basted turkey in your race photos.  I still remember last summer when the temperatures peaked at over 105 degrees.  I was driving to a meeting with a customer, and my AC was barely keeping up.  I was on a split highway with 2 lanes going in each direction.  There was a man with a long white beard slung over his shoulder, wearing 70's style running shorts and some old Adidas running shoes just trucking down the highway along the median.  It dawned on me that he had to be at least 5 miles from home, because he was kind of out in the middle of nowhere.  He was maintaining a pretty solid pace.  Here I am, in my car, thinking to myself, "I think I'll go to the gym tonight and run on the treadmill.".  Seeing that old man without so much as a water bottle just out there kicking ass made me feel like such a loser...lol

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

Docket_Rocket

LOL.  Basted turkey.  I do.  Did you see the sweating picture i posted on Friday?  That's only after a 5K!!!!!!!!!!

I don't run in the mornings because the dewpoint here is super high and temps + dewpoint is actually worse in the mornings.  I prefer to run in 96F and 70DP than at 85F and 80DP.  The body feels better.  So, if your highest humidity is in the mornings, prepare to slow down and feel miserable.  If in the afternoon, you're probably doing it fine.  I never run later than 6am down here.  By 8am, the weather is too horrid.  Good luck!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Bin Running

Overcast day called for 7M run.

i dreamt of a mega FE the other day. All penguins. Can't really remembered where but I think Awood and Tomas are there.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

T-rod - I've got one Jack Daniels that tells me I can be a better runner, and another Jack Daniels that tells me I could be the UFC Heavyweight Champion of the world.  Combine the two, and I'll just run around the world whoopin' people.

Kristin - Running cures a hangover in short order.  I promise.  Jack took my advice once.  He can verify that I'm not just being a jerk.  That first mile will feel like crap, but I prefer to beat a hangover in 10 minutes rather than deal with it all day.  Then again, P3 would rather sleep it off even if it takes all day.  It's a personal preference...lol  Great job this weekend.

Docket - I've been hydrating a lot this weekend, because this week is going to be in the 90's all week with scattered thunderstorms.  So, we know it's going to be steamy when the clouds break.  My plan is to do most, if not all, of my running very early in the day and drink plenty of water the rest of the day.  As I splished and splashed all the way home in my drippy running shorts and squishy shoes, I wondered how in the heck you run marathons down there in Florida and don't look like a well basted turkey in your race photos.  I still remember last summer when the temperatures peaked at over 105 degrees.  I was driving to a meeting with a customer, and my AC was barely keeping up.  I was on a split highway with 2 lanes going in each direction.  There was a man with a long white beard slung over his shoulder, wearing 70's style running shorts and some old Adidas running shoes just trucking down the highway along the median.  It dawned on me that he had to be at least 5 miles from home, because he was kind of out in the middle of nowhere.  He was maintaining a pretty solid pace.  Here I am, in my car, thinking to myself, "I think I'll go to the gym tonight and run on the treadmill.".  Seeing that old man without so much as a water bottle just out there kicking ass made me feel like such a loser...lol

I think its a mind set thing. When I am running at its hot as hell outside its isnt too painful, but when I am sitting on my ass watching TV if its over 73 in the house I complain.

Running is a great hangover cure. Its better to do it outside than on a dreadmill as the booze leaves the skin, it can get a lil funky Smile

Bin- Were AWood and I guarding the coolers of beer??? I bet Scotty was there taking the pictures with the ladies Smile

Tomas

Philliefan33

Good morning everyone.

5 miles of Fartleks done this morning.  Warm and humid, but probably better than it will be this afternoon.  Temps are predicted to be in the mid 90's here all week -- I'm looking forward to my vacation in Oregon next week.

Zelanie

Good morning, penguins!  Good thing I don't need Vitamin I, because today I have to work 3 shifts!  I am doing some work for my school district on their Spanish report card, then I work at the Weight Watchers store, then I head back into town to work a Weight Watchers meeting.  Luckily none of those shifts are too long on their own- I'll be busy only about 9 hours to do all 3.  And it's also lucky that I am in need of a RD today anyway!

Tomas- Nice miles!

Scotty- Hope you enjoy your RD!

Awood- One of the things I try to remind myself is that it's not as much the workouts that build strength as the recovery afterwards.  So having the right amount of time to recover from those tough workouts might do you even more good than an extra run.  I know that we both tend to fall into that "working hard is good, so working harder must be better" mentality though.

kristin- Hope you are starting to feel better!

D- Enjoy the 5!

Bin- Maybe you dreamed of our penguin relay team!

Margo- You have picked a lovely time to visit Oregon!  The weather is fantastic.  But you came around this time last year, didn't you?

From the Internet.

Morning colony!

Um, accidentally ran longer than my weekend "long run" this morning - 4.96 miles in 50:25, didn't feel that long at all! I was fretting about whether I should shoot for 5 this weekend but I guess that answers that!