Beginners and Beyond

Today's kids are less fit than their parents (Read 91 times)

LRB

"Today's kids can't keep up with their parents. An analysis of studies on millions of children around the world finds they don't run as fast or as far as their parents did when they were young.

On average, it takes children 90 seconds longer to run a mile than their counterparts did 30 years ago. Heart-related fitness has declined 5 percent per decade since 1975 for children ages 9 to 17.

The American Heart Association, whose conference featured the research on Tuesday, says it's the first to show that children's fitness has declined worldwide over the last three decades.

"It makes sense. We have kids that are less active than before," said Dr. Stephen Daniels, a University of Colorado pediatrician and spokesman for the heart association.

Health experts recommend that children 6 and older get 60 minutes of moderately vigorous activity accumulated over a day. Only one-third of American kids do now.

"Kids aren't getting enough opportunities to build up that activity over the course of the day," Daniels said. "Many schools, for economic reasons, don't have any physical education at all. Some rely on recess" to provide exercise.

Sam Kass, a White House chef and head of first lady Michelle Obama's Let's Move program, stressed the role of schools in a speech to the conference on Monday.

"We are currently facing the most sedentary generation of children in our history," Kass said.  The new study was led by Grant Tomkinson, an exercise physiologist at the University of South Australia. Researchers analyzed 50 studies on running fitness — a key measure of cardiovascular health and endurance — involving 25 million children ages 9 to 17 in 28 countries from 1964 to 2010.

The studies measured how far children could run in 5 to 15 minutes and how quickly they ran a certain distance, ranging from half a mile to two miles. Today's kids are about 15 percent less fit than their parents were, researchers concluded."

(link)

StepbyStep-SH

I saw that in our paper yesterday. Not only are schools cutting PE time, but also recess. In one of the area schools here, even kindergarten and first graders only get recess at lunch time - 20 minutes tops. And then with the trend after school to be organized activities, there just isn't time for running around the neighborhood, riding bikes, climbing trees, building snow forts in the winter ...

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I bet Rob Ford's kids are more fit than him...

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

delicate flower

Heh, I'd have smoked my parents in the mile when I was a kid.

<3

StepbyStep-SH

Another thought I just had re: this - A generation ago, more kids had physically demanding chores to do. Mowing the lawn, shoveling snow, delivering papers on a bike, etc. Today, if you suggested an 8-year-old use a lawn mower, in some circles you'd be accused of child endangerment. Yet that is when I started mowing my family's lawn. And there was definitely no motor-assist. And so many people have snowblowers, leaf blowers, etc., that there's no need to enlist young muscles.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

From the Internet.

I saw that in our paper yesterday. Not only are schools cutting PE time, but also recess. In one of the area schools here, even kindergarten and first graders only get recess at lunch time - 20 minutes tops. 

I was super disappointed when I found out this was happening around here.. I have no idea where my daughter will be going to kindergarten yet but we're looking into private schools for a variety of reasons, and one of those is more active time both in the form of PE and recess.

Philliefan33

Another thought I just had re: this - A generation ago, more kids had physically demanding chores to do. Mowing the lawn, shoveling snow, delivering papers on a bike, etc. Today, if you suggested an 8-year-old use a lawn mower, in some circles you'd be accused of child endangerment. Yet that is when I started mowing my family's lawn. And there was definitely no motor-assist. And so many people have snowblowers, leaf blowers, etc., that there's no need to enlist young muscles.

Good point.  Also, as kids we had more freedom.  On a summer morning, I would take off and not be seen by mom until I came home for lunch.  In between, I was riding bikes and climbing trees and trying to keep up with the older kids.  I had to pedal hard to keep up with the older kids when they tried to lose me.  Sometimes on a dare I climbed way too high in a tree, but had to find the strength to get myself down (or fall).

Now, if you just let your 9-year old run free you'd be accused of neglect.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Dorian doesn't know the meaning of walk.......... but I think that is because of his short legs lol, he finds it easier to run than walk.  Plus I plan/hope to homeschool him, so he will be getting A LOT of time outside for play - I don't think his or  my sanity would survive otherwise. I think he covers 1-3 miles a day just running around our shop and the office and shipping room, and when he goes outside during nicer weather.

When I was in school, less than 10 years ago PE was very important even in high school and we had the usual 45 minutes to an hour of it and only spent 10-15 minutes stretching. Elementary and Middle School were even better, kids would try to eat as fast as they could so they could get outside and we got to play for 30-45 minutes both in the mornings, during lunch and during daycare.

Health and fitness should be a priority in schools and at home.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Hip Redux

Sometimes I look at what's in the cart ahead of me in line at the grocery store and I have to shake my head - and we wonder why kids are overweight?   "Food shopping" is now "questionable foodlike products shopping".

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I'm not the only one who does this??? YAY!!!!

Sometimes I look at what's in the cart ahead of me in line at the grocery store and I have to shake my head - and we wonder why kids are overweight?   "Food shopping" is now "questionable foodlike products shopping".

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

I'm not the only one who does this??? YAY!!!!

Are you kidding? We are nothing on these forums if not judgemental.

We had gym class every day in school all the way through high school. I have the emotional scars to prove it. Now you only need I think one year in middle school & one semester in high school. And we watched plenty of TV, but we spend hours & hours outside, until our moms yelled at us to come in for dinner or bedtime. Which kids don't seem to do much any more. And of course there is the food. Remember "pizza day" in the school cafeteria? EVERY day is actually pizza day now. And all the snacks with their fat and sugar and HFCS, blah blah blah.

Dave

catwhoorg

Labrat

There may be hope. At DD's daycare, the majority of kids are being dropped off with healthy breakfasts.

(Thats the parents choice, the rest is provided by the school)

Lots of kids with fruit and yogurt, as the main portion of that meal.

Maybe in 10 years the situation will be a bit better.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I like to think we are the good kind of judgemental. Joking

PRs

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I bet the Amish don't have this problem.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Tar Heel Mom

kween

One of the reasons kids aren't outside running around is that they are doing "organized" activities, among them are sports, so there is some hope.

Nolite te bastardes carborundum.