Beginners and Beyond

Tuesday'ly Penguins (Read 20 times)

PADRunner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!).

"I often hear someone say I'm not a real runner. We are all runners, some just run faster than others. I never met a fake runner."

-Bart Yasso

PADRunner

Morning Penguins!

Group run tonight for me.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning PAD and Pengs.  Today's run is weather dependent.

Have a great day.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  7 and weights since I failed to do weights last night.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

on my way to badass

Morning Penguins! Thanks for starting us off PAD! Jerry- I hope the weather cooperates. Have fun with the weights DR. 4.5 done last night. 3 tonight. I am a real runner but sometimes I feel like a poser.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!! I'm leaving early today because DH's brother, SIL, and nephew have been in DC for the past week for Pokemon World Championships, and we're meeting up with them for dinner tonight. Since they live near Seattle, we don't get to see them often, so woo-hoo!! Which means I have to get hopping on all my to-do list, including a walk probably early this afternoon.

PAD -- enjoy the group run!!

Jerryb -- last night I stopped by Walmart, and it apparently poured while I was inside. Just up the road, it was dry. Then I turned onto my road home, and it was wet again. Scattered showers, I guess!!

Docket -- hope the soreness has eased up!!

Stone -- I'm the poser. I'm a walker masquerading in the running forums!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

tracilynn

Hey penguins

3m this morning. pretty sore from doing lunges and strength BS (level I SHRED) yesterday.

I need coaching help!  I want to follow a plan and gradually up my mileage while trying not to piss off my effing shins.  I decided on Hal Higdons 10k intermediate based on my mileage etc. I'm not targeting a 10k or anything it just seemed like a good plan for me. It's an 8 week plan but I was going to repeat each week to build up slower. It starts somewhere around 16 mpw and tops around 26 mpw (With an 8mi long run).

so according to his plan if I follow it exactly he has 5 straight days of running and 2 days non running (Or a day of rest and a day of cross train)   I feel like with my stupid azz shins I should switch the days around so I'm not running 5 straight days.   The cross train day is supposed to be an easy day according to his plan. So should I rest after a tempo day or after a long run day?  According to his plan you rest 2 days prior to your long run and then run 4 more straight days.

Was that as clear as mud?

~~~~~~~

Traci

Docket_Rocket

traci, switch things around and accommodate to your liking (and shins).  I would rest the day after the LR and the tempo, if you can manage it.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Note to self:  Do not bend over in this shirt.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

tracilynn

Thanks  Damaris, I put my complete rest day after my long run (cause I think long runs are what kills my shins) and I will do an easy day after my tempos.

Woohoo

~~~~~~~

Traci

Docket_Rocket

Note to self:  Do not bend over in this shirt.

Did you make a lot of guys there happy?

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Traci, sounds great!

So, an attorney came into our building without his ID, so he called our office.  The receptionist told him exactly what I told her when she asked me: We are vouching for you because you are nice and cute.  I asked Damaris and she vouched for you.  Great, thanks.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

Morning!  I have a long meeting today, boo!  I am not ready for school to start so soon!  Today I have the second strength workout of my program, 4 x 1.5 miles at a little faster that MP, half mile recoveries, 11 miles total.  I did the last one on the treadmill, this one I think I'll do back and forths along the river path by my house.  I'd prefer to run in the afternoon, but we'll see how hot it is after my meeting.

PAD- Enjoy the group run!

Jerry- Hope that the weather cooperates for you!

D- Good luck getting those weights in!

SF- Sometimes I feel like I don't know know how to run at all, still.  It's like I can't even imagine being a runner, but I still go out there are run, and then I feel fine again.

HsM- Polemon world championships, sounds like fun!  Good luck to (I assume) your nephew!

Traci- I love the idea of repeating every week so that your building, but building slowly!  I think switching days around shouldn't be a problem as long as you're not stacking two "hard" days next to each other.

Singer who runs a smidge

Did you make a lot of guys there happy?

Had there been guys in my office at the time, I would've!

Singer who runs a smidge

Traci, sounds great!

So, an attorney came into our building without his ID, so he called our office.  The receptionist told him exactly what I told her when she asked me: We are vouching for you because you are nice and cute.  I asked Damaris and she vouched for you.  Great, thanks.

Yeah, you sound really professional there!