Beginners and Beyond

Felicificative Friday Penguins (Read 37 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." WinkIt can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Felicificative:  Tending to make happy.  Which is what Friday does for us, correct? Big grin

What, no penguin thread started yet?  Everyone sleeping in?

Rest day for me today.  Feeling better and back at work but tired after dealing with that virus crap yesterday.  Probably will powernap at my desk a lot today.  Joking  Am leaving work early today, doc wants some more blood drawn, but got to work at 5:30 a.m. to make up the time for leaving early. Nice and peaceful at the office at that time, with nobody else around.  Oh yeah, obligatory San Antonio weather report:  still no rain in sight, heading for another high of 70-something today.  I think we never had an actual winter this winter, lol.  We went from Fall right to Spring.   Got a 5K tomorrow morning, Race #16 for 2013.   Mardis Gras 5K in New Braunfels, TX.  Isn't it a bit late for Mardi Gras?  Oh well.  Should be fun, lots of runners in costume for this one. Beer post-race, and lots of other goodies, oh yeah!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Mmmmm...beer

Morning everyone!

Hey Scotty!  I wish we would go straight to Spring, I know I've said before that I like running in the cold, and I do, but I'm ready for it to be warm.  Good luck tomorrow!

A rest day + new Fastwitchs = a pretty fast run that felt easy. Smile  I decided to limit it to 5 miles, because I just wasn't able to slow myself down, and I didn't want to run long and fast when I'm supposed to be tapering.  Great run tho, loving the new shoes.  I'll get some more miles in them before I decide if I'm gonna use 'em for my half, but I'm leaning towards yes.

Hope everyone has a great day!

-Dave

2014 Goals | sub-19 5k done! | sub-40 10k | sub-1:25 HM | BQ done! | sub-3 M

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good Morrning Penguins!

Scotty - thanks for the e-card the other day ! Also those things you listed as things you learned from running were hilarious! Especially the one about the horse!

I ran 6 on Wednesday and shuttled my wife for her test. Yesterday I went with her for an MRI. Looking to get 7 miles on Saturday . We are supposed to get well into the 50's this weekend!! Right now I am 90 miles from home and there is 5" of snow with more falling . While back home there is nothing!

Hope everyone enjoys either the snow or the Spring-like weather!

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Mmmmm...beer

Forgot to mention from yesterday's thread, Zel, you can borrow my new shoes, but I'm guessing you're not a size 13. Smile lol

-Dave

2014 Goals | sub-19 5k done! | sub-40 10k | sub-1:25 HM | BQ done! | sub-3 M

Jack K.

I love sponge cake.

Hi Pens:

Scotty: I am glad you are better and good luck with the blood work.

D2: those really are some sweet looking shoes and the best part is they feel good on your feet.

Gus: enjoy the miles and be safe in the snow.

Today I have a 7 mile tempo run at hm pace. I will likely have to do it tonight on the dark because DW and I are picking up our new car(!) after work. We got a Prius C and it will be fun! Rest day tomorrow but we are going down to San Diego for DS's 19th birthday.  Have a good weekend, Pens!

2014 races

Santa Anita Derby Day 5k - 5 Apr  

Mountains to Beach Marathon - 25 May

kristin10185

I race in SparkleSkirts

Dave loves those new shoes especially the saying on the heel!

Moved my running schedule around to account for my best friend's birthday festivities this weekend. Moved my Sunday 1.5 mile recovery run to today, and will do my Saturday LR on Sunday. Since it was a snowy, slushy mess out I did the 1.5 miles on the TM, and did 20 min on the eliptical.

Happy Friday!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Good night folks. I'll check in later.

Jerryb49

Glad you are better Scott Smile !!!

Jack, congrats and good luck with the Prius.  You can really sneak up on the runners when running silent.

Might try that elusive long run today, but it will have to be on the streets with all the snow still on the running paths.  OTOH, its supposed to be warmer tomorrow.  4 weeks until Knoxville.

First HM :     Covenant Health Knoxville HM 4/2013 2:24 

Last HM :     Michelob ULTRA Miami HM 2:31

Next HM :    Big Ten 10K, Chicago  7/26

Lifetime Fitness Chicago HM 9/7.

IMT Des Moines HM, 10/19

Pura Vida

Morning, penguins! Got my 10 on the TM last night and then drove up to DD's robotics tournament, which is today and tomorrow. I think I can manage to get in 6 here. I'm on my phone so I'll just leave it at Felicificative Friday to the whole colony!

PRs: 5K: 25:35 / 10K: 53:03 / 10mi: 1:26:15 / HM: 1:55:02

Upcoming: Beat the Blerch 10K 9/21, Portland Marathon (debut) 10/5

Bad Ass

Morning!  I have either 6 miles or an SRD.  Asthma has not being doing well lately, so we will see.

Damaris, Marathon Maniac, Ultra Runner

Next:  San Francisco Marathon

Blog

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire."

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Scotty, thanks for starting us off.  Good luck with the doc and the power nap.

Dave - Those shoes look awesome.  Just be sure to know the course ahead of time.  You're getting fast enough that there might not be a pack to follow.  Wouldn't want you to get lost.

Gustav - Sounds like midwest weather.  Hope the MRI goes well.

Jack - Not sure I know a lot of Prius drivers that drink Natty.  Kudos on being your own man.

Kristin - Way to be flexible, and still get your runs in.

Mitch - Good night.  A man needs his rest.

Jerry - It looks pretty nice out today.  Not sure I remember how to dress for 50.

Zel - Good luck with the rock sock em robots.  I couldn't take another TM run.  I hit the streets for10.5 last night.

Docket - Hopefully the asthma decides to calm down.  I wouldn't bet on you taking a rest day.

AFM - On my phone.  Good run last night.  I lost my pace a bit on my second tempo bout, but felt good.  Should hit 50 miles this week.  Next week I will have more quality and fewer miles.  The next week is taper.  Then, my second HM.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

SheCan

MOrning Penguins!

Scotty-  glad you were feeling up to coming to work.  Don't over do it though!  Hope you find out what's going on, and start feeling even better.

Dave-  if there were any shoes at all that would make me run like you, I'd end my cheap streak and pay whatever they cost!  Glad you're feeling fast and good while you're tapering.

Gustav-- :-( @ your wife's being ill.  Gosh I hope it's not going to be too bad.  Good job on the runs!

Jack--- ohhh, a new car, I definitely think that's even better then new shoes!   Enjoy!  Are you driving down to see the son?  Where do you live anyways?  Anyway, enjoy the weekend with your son.

kristin--- is there a party planned for your best friend?

(((( Mitch ))))) Know you're tired, but glad you checked in.

Jerry-  good luck getting your run in with the snow around.  Just watch for ice!

zelanie-- have fun at the tournament.  Good luck to your DD!

Docket--- I have my fingers crossed for you.  Hopefully your asthma will give you a break and let you get some miles in.

Awood--- great job on the miles!

I"m hoping to get 6 miles in, but it's raining now.  I guess if it doesn't stop soon, I might go to the gym.

Cherie

Running- the real sport.  The others just play with their balls.

Jack K.

I love sponge cake.

Jerry: thanks, I will try to get a picture up later. The Prius  C is smaller than the usual Prius.

Awood: lol!!!! My wife and I are not "typical" Prius drivers. It's our first and we are not liberal tree huggers (not that there's anything wrong with that). DW is also a fan of Natties!

She Can: yes, we are driving down tomorrow for his birthday and we about two hours north of there in a small town you have never heard of. It's a great town but too bad it's in CA! Smile

2014 races

Santa Anita Derby Day 5k - 5 Apr  

Mountains to Beach Marathon - 25 May

kristin10185

I race in SparkleSkirts

She Can- I'm heading to my best friend's place (hour and a half away from me) after work. Going out to dinner  for her birthday tonight. I am sleeping there tonight, then  tomorrow we are waking up early and going to a St Patrick' Day parade and thrn St Paddy's day themed birthday pub crawl (tomorrow is her birthday) Should be fun!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to