Beginners and Beyond

Race Report With Photos: Cornyval 5K (Read 30 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO:  I am Scott aka Scottydog, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, UTSA Roadrunner, friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

SHORT VERSION REPORT

My 29th race of 2013 and my 2nd event for the weekend after having done the Poder 5K on Saturday morning. The Cornyval 5K is held in association the the annual Cornyval Festival - http://www.cornyval.org/ - and the race this year happened to fall on May 5, Cinqo de Mayo. The weather was really nice, about 54 degrees at start time, sunny, no wind.  Maybe around 300 or so participants and there was also a Kid's Run which had a nice turnout too.  This one was a hilly course and yet in spite of that I managed to finish faster today - 32:59 clock time, and 32:53 per my chrono - than for my flat 5K yesterday (time of 33:59), go figure.  Maybe because I did take a few more photos for yesterday's race on the course than for this one, since yesterday's was in downtown San Antonio, with scenic views of the Riverwalk.

LONG VERSION WITH PHOTOS

BEFORE THE RACE

Race was held in Helotes, Texas and supported the Helotes Senior Center, where the course started and finished. Walked around getting photos - which is how I do MY race warmup, lol -  of supporters/participants before start time.

photo cornyval001_zps4c5abdd3.jpg

photo cornyval002_zps7c6befb5.jpg

photo cornyval004_zpsa9a396c7.jpg

photo cornyval005_zpsdd05480a.jpg

photo cornyval006_zpsc4a760d9.jpg

photo cornyval007_zps7f07c564.jpg

photo cornyval008_zps168bfd14.jpg

photo cornyval009_zps0bfb50ca.jpg

photo cornyval010_zps093fadb9.jpg

photo cornyval011_zps4400b262.jpg

photo cornyval012_zpsdd0d0446.jpg

photo cornyval013_zpsc35bbc64.jpg

photo cornyval014_zpsf755f01e.jpg

These folks were providing musical entertainment.  When I first arrived and heard the singing, I thought it was a recording, it was that clear and good!  The guy with the guitar was singing and he has a really good voice.

photo cornyval015_zps61fe06c0.jpg

At the start area

photo cornyval016_zpsaaf9ec74.jpg

photo cornyval017_zps2364a305.jpg

ON THE COURSE

The course went like this:  Out of the Senior Center lot, onto the road for a tad, then onto the grounds of O'Connor High School, flat for a bit, then climb a hill, get to the top, turn around, back down the hill; flat again for a bit; out the school gate, turn right, pass the Mile 2 marker and then climb again; then a downhill to a turn-around, then climb back up the 'downhill' we just did, which is now an uphill, crest that...then downhill to the Senior Center, and then a flat .1 to the finish line.  Whew!

On the grounds of O'Connor High School...

photo cornyval019_zps06a5758c.jpg

photo cornyval020_zps58a45db3.jpg

photo cornyval021_zps0083a7ba.jpg

photo cornyval022_zps733c9c30.jpg

photo cornyval023_zps9777a723.jpg

photo cornyval024_zpseed534fe.jpg

photo cornyval026_zpsaa95b94b.jpg

First uphill and downhill.. Helotes is not known as "Where Texas Hill Country Begins" for nothing, lol.

photo cornyval027_zps72461801.jpg

photo cornyval028_zps17cb433f.jpg

Whew!  Flat again for a bit...

photo cornyval029_zps4ef5c61b.jpg

photo cornyval030_zps40ea8724.jpg

photo cornyval031_zps2d8f68ca.jpg

photo cornyval032_zps8121bc31.jpg

Next uphill.  After we climbed this, we went downhill to a turn-around, then came back up the hill on the other side of the road, and then downhill on this part of the road back to the Senior Center.

photo cornyval033_zpsf76306e4.jpg

Looking back the way I'd just come.  The school grounds we were just on are to the left.

photo cornyval034_zps04655a59.jpg

After that I high-tailed it on in to the finish.  As I climbed to the top of this hill, I passed two young ladies and I heard one say "That guy who stops to take pictures is passing us again!"  Umm, sorry ladies.  For the rest of the way I chased a young lad of maybe 12 or so.  After the turn-around I  almost caught him going back up the hill, but after we crested the hill and went downhill to the Senior Center, he must've heard me coming, lol; he took off like a shot.  I stuck with hm as close as I could but he really smoked me finishing up.  Deja vu!  I was beat at my 5K yesterday by a kid too, lol.  As I passed the clock it read 32:59 and my chrono was at 32:53, which makes sense, since I did not start my chrono till I got to the actual start line, and I was a bit back in the start crowd.

Kid's Fun Run Start....they did a half mile and got big cheers from everybody.

photo cornyval054_zps6c5b7896.jpg

AFTER THE RACE

"Happy Finishers" and Supporters

The young man that smoked me at the finish, and companion

photo cornyval055_zpsad9e13ae.jpg

photo cornyval035_zps911b6a7e.jpg

photo cornyval036_zpsf20ced4e.jpg

photo cornyval037_zpse7150fda.jpg

photo cornyval038_zps99220972.jpg

These 2 are sisters, right?

photo cornyval039_zpsce976faa.jpg

photo cornyval040_zpseab18e72.jpg

photo cornyval041_zps7b6d314e.jpg

photo cornyval042_zpsa323b976.jpg

Two "Happy Finisher" cancer survivors....this lovely young lady beat throat cancer!

photo cornyval043_zpsf829ae7b.jpg

photo cornyval044_zps85bec920.jpg

photo cornyval046_zps23dcfed3.jpg

photo cornyval047_zps0cd3c222.jpg

photo cornyval048_zps19fec87b.jpg

photo cornyval049_zps3ba4688d.jpg

photo cornyval050_zps1f836ace.jpg

photo cornyval051_zpsb6c0079a.jpg

photo cornyval052_zpsedd10953.jpg

photo cornyval053_zps25722c0d.jpg

photo cornyval056_zpsb009beb4.jpg

Happy running group, with kids displaying their finisher ribbons for the Kids Run

photo cornyval057_zpsf3053174.jpg

EPILOG

Very nice event, one I continue to do year after year whenever I can.  If you ever happen to be visiting during Cornyval, definitely do this one, you'll enjoy yourself!  Thanks to Soler Sports - the best local running sports store in San Antonio area - for supporting this one!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

Nice RR Scotty.  Looks like everyone had a good time.  I love the pictures, seeing how varied the people are who run these races, all ages, races, shapes.  But they all have big smiles.

hog4life

Congrats on #29. Kids are great! The re is a local kid here that took 4th place yesterday in my 8k.

SheCan

Congratulations on your 29th race and 2nd race of the weekend!   Great job.  It looks so warm and sunny during this race--- too bad you couldn't have sent some of that sunshine to Hog4life's race yesterday.  

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

SheCan

Congratulations on your 29th race and 2nd race of the weekend!   Great job.  It looks so warm and sunny during this race--- too bad you couldn't have sent some of that sunshine to Hog4life's race yesterday.

EDIT:  LOL, hmmm, not sure how I posted that twice.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Docket_Rocket

Great report!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

B-Plus

Congrats Scotty! It sounds like a challenging course.

happylily

Another great race and report! Well done, Scotty! Thank you for sharing!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010