Beginners and Beyond

Coffeeeeee Thursday Penguins (Read 31 times)

obiebyke

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

obiebyke

I couldn't come up with a better title. What better evidence that I need coffee?

I lied about yesterday's workout: it was 30 minutes, not 35. It went great! For the first time, I was able to hold up my cadence intervals for the entire run instead of pooping out halfway through. My "easy" pace yesterday was only 5 seconds slower than my PR 5K pace from 7 years ago. Isn't that nuts? Today's a RD.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Orrrrrrrange Juice!  That's for me this morning since I don't like coffee. Can't even stand the smell of the stuff, which is why I will never walk into a Starbucks, that awful coffee smell is too overwhelming in there.

An hour of weight training yesterday.   Today after work will be 3 - 4 miles in the lovely sunshine.   The rain has moved out of San Antonio and we are back to upper 80s and 90-degree weather.   Loverly....

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Philliefan33

I just filled my coffee cup 

It's a nice, cool day today -- the predicted high is only 62º.  I plan to do about five miles after work.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

'Morning !!!  We will also do 5 after work.

A little Aldi's coffee for me this morning.  Then I make it again at work.

Have a great Thriday.

From the Internet.

Made my way back to track practice with my club this morning! Big grin Mile repeats, I ran 3 of them in 8:46, 8:43, 8:31, felt like I actually got in a workout but wasn't super hard either. 5.5 miles total with warmup and cooldown. If my legs recover well I'm going to possibly run a 5k with club members next weekend (not all-out PR effort, but more than a jog) instead of my usual long run, since we have a million birthday parties on Saturday. Maybe being patient all winter has finally started to pay off??

Brilliant

Sipping my coffee here, trying to steel myself to head out for a run.  I had a minor surgical procedure done on May 1, with instructions to wait 4 weeks before running.  So I've been trying to do some hill walking and hiking over the last month, and last week I also sneaked in a 2.7 mile run but I felt guilty the whole time.  Here's hoping I haven't turned into a sloth...

Zelanie

Mmm, coffee.  6ish tonight with the social group.  We've actually finally gotten "spring" weather here.  Before this is was either summer or winter, no in-between.

obie- That's always such a fun milestone.  I love it when I am just jogging easily at what used to be my 5K pace.

Scotty- I will have your coffee if you're not going to drink it!

Margo- Sounds like a perfect day for a run!

Jerry- Have a good run!

Lauren- Smokin' fast!

Brilliant- Hi!  Are you new, or have you posted under a different name?  In any case, welcome.  I say over 4 weeks counts as a month, and I hope you enjoy your run!

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Coffee, coffee, coffee, coffee!! 

The older I get, the more I need it.  

Got some hill work on the bike planned for tonight after weights yesterday, then a solid 5 on the feet planned for tomorrow!  (Hopefully weather is nice enough for an outdoor run)

Randy

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

Ahh, yes. Today is the last day of school. Believe me, I am not complaining.

Last night I ran three more miles. My legs are coming back after Sunday's marathon. I still have a few aches and pains but it's nothing. DW is still hobbling about the house and hasn't run at all. I remember after my first marathon it took about two weeks to recover, maybe a bit more.  We'll see about a run tonight. It will be warm and I may not be able to walk a straight line so I will figure it out later.

Redrum: I forgot if I texted you, there is a 5k coming up in Claremont.

See ya.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  I bailed on yoga yesterday, so I really need to do it today.  Chorus rehearsal tonight!!  I can't believe May is almost gone already, wow!!

obie -- woo-hoo for your 30 minutes and faster pace!!

scotty -- well, Starbucks is awful coffee!!  You might like the smell at a good coffee place ... though probably not, knowing you!

Phillie -- 64 for a high here, amazing!!

Jerryb -- have a good 5 later!!

Lauren -- hope your patience pays off!!

Brilliant -- laughing at your sneaking in a run and feeling guilty!!

Zelanie -- woo-hoo for actual spring!!

redrum -- have a good bike ride tonight!!

Jack -- congrats, you made it!!  I know my teacher friends are just counting the hours ...

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

GinnyinPA

I love coffee.  DH fixes a pot for me every morning and I drink the whole thing (four cups) since he is allergic and won't touch the stuff.  He says he doesn't mind the smell though.

obiebyke - nice progress in your pace.  My easy pace is faster than it was, but not up to former 5k pace yet.

Scotty - hot and humid, yep summer has arrived, again, for you.  We have 60s today and 70's for the next few after that.  I like backdoor cold fronts, in the summer anyway.

Margo - enjoy the cool weather run.

Jerry - have a good run this evening.

Lauren - that is great speed.  I can do that for 1 minute sprints on the TM, but not for a whole mile.  Good job.  No issues with the leg?

Brilliant - welcome to the penguins.  A month isn't enough to destroy your fitness, especially since you stayed active.  You'll definitely feel slower on your first few runs though.  But it comes back pretty quickly when you haven't been off very long.

Z - enjoy your social run this evening.  Every time I leave a place, even for just a few weeks, it seems it puts on its best face.  The sun shines, the flowers bloom, the birds sing.  It all makes it harder to leave.  Your home is just saying "hurry back" as you prepare to leave.

Redrum - enjoy your biking this evening.

Jack - I'm glad your recovery is going so well.  Maybe see if you can get your wife out walking, if she's not ready to run yet.  Are you doing the 5k?

AFM:  Short run later in the coolth if it isn't actively raining.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

So my ankle isn't broken - it is "just" a sprain.  But given that I can't stand or walk on it - a pretty bad sprain.  The orthopedist gave me a cam walker boot and instructions to  rest and take lots of advil.  I asked him how long until I could run again and whether or not I'd be able to run my half on June 15th and he just sort of laughed at me.  (so I'm guessing that's a "there's no way you're running that half" response) Maybe I'll be able to at least do the 10k I'm registered for on June 22nd.  I'm in the boot for at least two weeks, so no running until then.  He told me to come back in 4 weeks if I wasn't out of the boot and able to walk on my own by then.  I bought a water jogger belt and a kickboard on amazon.  I'm hoping to be able to hit the pool on Monday.  I need the lacerations on my hands and knees to heal a bit before I start up with that.  I'm wondering if there's anything upper body wise that I can do to try to maintain my cardio base a bit.  The gym downstairs doesn't have a hand bike or anything like that so I'll have to be creative.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  9 done, Pilates and more miles later.  It was just too hot and humid (88F and 73 DP at 6am).  I melted.

Now attending a conference call.  See you later.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

So my ankle isn't broken - it is "just" a sprain.  But given that I can't stand or walk on it - a pretty bad sprain.  The orthopedist gave me a cam walker boot and instructions to  rest and take lots of advil.  I asked him how long until I could run again and whether or not I'd be able to run my half on June 15th and he just sort of laughed at me.  (so I'm guessing that's a "there's no way you're running that half" response) Maybe I'll be able to at least do the 10k I'm registered for on June 22nd.  I'm in the boot for at least two weeks, so no running until then.  He told me to come back in 4 weeks if I wasn't out of the boot and able to walk on my own by then.  I bought a water jogger belt and a kickboard on amazon.  I'm hoping to be able to hit the pool on Monday.  I need the lacerations on my hands and knees to heal a bit before I start up with that.  I'm wondering if there's anything upper body wise that I can do to try to maintain my cardio base a bit.  The gym downstairs doesn't have a hand bike or anything like that so I'll have to be creative.

Ouch.  Hope the recovery is faster than expected.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page