Beginners and Beyond

What is the best or worst running or exercise related advice you have received? (Read 87 times)

LRB

Not to stretch a cold muscle.

This line of thinking sent me on a two year detour of injury and disappointment mostly because I barely had time to run, let alone stretch after running.

Long story short; unless you are dead there is no such thing as a cold muscle (shortened yes, cold no), you can therefore stretch throughout the day as well as pre and post run.  It's just how you do it that matters.

LRB

As an aside, bending over for long periods to stretch your hamstrings involves the back muscles and could lead to other problems.  It should probably be avoided by most of us.

B-Plus

Other than don't run?

LRB

Other than don't run?

Don't run would be the best wouldn't it?

MTA: modified the title to reflect it.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Stretching before a run actually does me no good, but worse. I have found that a warm up walk or iog helps me more. I stretch afterwards and throughout the day though.

Best: Listen to your body,  and don't be afraid to take rest days.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Cyberic

Running is bad on the knees? It is often the first question people ask me when I tell them I run - and I'm talking about people who are into sports, just not running - how are you knees?

Running has fixed my knees. My self-evaluation of how this happened is this: I'm tall and ectomorph. The bulk of my thigh muscles is rather far from my knees. My calves are rather small also. So there is not much muscle support to stabilize the knees. I've had knee problems since my early-twenties. At 42 I started running, and naturally my calves and thighs became stronger and that stabilized my knee. I'm 100% pain free now.

So when people pretend that running is bad on the knees, I don't know what is the foundation of that belief.

Therefore, the worse advice I got was: "Don't run, you already have bad knees. "

happylily

I was told when I started running that a treadmill would not get me anywhere. WRONG! It friggin got me to Boston. 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Therefore, the worse advice I got was: "Don't run, you already have bad knees. "

Related: "Don't run, you already have a bad back." My back has never been better than since I've been running. Granted most of that time I was doing a lot of yoga as well. But running certainly never made things worse. (Although I am always afraid to say anything about it.)

Best advice and mantra: "Run lots, mostly slow, sometimes fast." My understanding it is mainly attributed to SRL on RA and RWOL, but maybe was actually brought down from the mountain, engraved on stone tablets.

Dave

I was told when I started running that a treadmill would not get me anywhere. WRONG! It friggin got me to Boston. 

Maybe they just meant it would literally never get you anywhere, because you are running in place.

Dave

happylily

Maybe they just meant it would literally never get you anywhere, because you are running in place.

My sentence was also a pun! You are explaining to me my own pun! grrr... I hate it when this happens. That means I wasn't clever enough. 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Cyberic

. Sorry Lily, you thought of it first, obviously, but my slow mind only caught it when I read Dave's reply.

Cyberic

Best advice and mantra: "Run lots, mostly slow, sometimes fast." My understanding it is mainly attributed to SRL on RA and RWOL, but maybe was actually brought down from the mountain, engraved on stone tablets.

6 words that say it all.

My sentence was also a pun! You are explaining to me my own pun! grrr... I hate it when this happens. That means I wasn't clever enough. 

More likely that I wasn't.

Dave

Antipodean

Good advice? Easy. It's your own advice from a video link you added a couple of weeks ago. Those leg swinging, back kicking things against the tree (in the video) have been added to my repetoire and seem to be helping me on my road back to half-shape after my glute/hamstring injury. Thanks!

Bad advice? Dunno, don't listen anymore. 

Julie

"It's not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."

~ Sir Edmund Hillary

Birdwell

Related: "Don't run, you already have a bad back." My back has never been better than since I've been running. Granted most of that time I was doing a lot of yoga as well. But running certainly never made things worse. (Although I am always afraid to say anything about it.)

Best advice and mantra: "Run lots more, mostly slow easy, sometimes fast hard." My understanding it is mainly attributed to SRL on RA and RWOL, but maybe was actually brought down from the mountain, engraved on stone tablets.

fyp