Beginners and Beyond

Welkin Wednesday Penguins (Read 23 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Welkin: The vault of the sky; firmament; the heavens.

Which is what San Antonio is enjoying this morning.  Beautiful, clear morning, about 50 degrees, with the vault of the sky filled with stars.

I also enjoyed the sunny vault of the sky yesterday after work. Went over to one of my favorite parks and did 3.3 miles on a mix of paved trails and off-road natural trails.  What a beautiful afternoon for a run!  80 degrees, blue skies, sunshine,  humidity in the low 40s, low dewpoint, and a light cooling breeze that made you feel great out there, very comfortable.  The day was so nice the park was chock full of people - runners, walkers, cyclists, soccer players, baseball players, folks taking their kids to one of the many park playgrounds.  Lots of people walking their dogs too.  I carried 12 dog biscuits with me and had gotten rid of all of them by the end of my run/walk.  Some of the dogs I met were Hondo the German Shepherd,  border collies Minnie and Mickey, and a very unusual lab named Halley, she was a purebred SILVER lab and really was silver all over.   Nice run/walk and met lots of nice doggies and their folks.  Good times in the park!

Today is a non-running day.  After work I may go do my weight training circuit.  I have been very lazy in this department so need to get back with it.

Philliefan33

Good morning Scotty.  sounds like gorgeous weather for you.  We've also got a nice stretch coming -- not as warm as you but nice for us.

Yesterday I took my maiden run from my new work site.  The one redeeming quality of this new place is its' proximity to the Perkiomen trail, a packed dirt / gravel / cinder trail, about 20 feet wide, winding along the Perkiomen Creek.  It's going to be a nice place to run.  Yesterday the trees sheltered me from the 20 mph winds, and there will be shade in the summer.  I went North yesterday, and it was gentle rolls.  I think there are bigger hills if I head South.  The surface was a little rough on my feet so I'm going to ease into using that trail regularly.

I'll be back on pavement today, for about 5 miles.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  6 miles tonight, most likely with hubby.  My chest is super tired today due to the allergy shot and the 7 miler yesterday.  It seems I can never go higher than this dose without major effects.  Ugh.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I did not get my run in, and I'm on the road tonight.  I might just have to race this weekend.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

From the Internet.

Morning pens! 3 easy with 3x strides on my favorite running path that's no longer a frozen slushy mess Big grin Quick for me, finished in 28:47.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!! Today is my Friday, as we leave tomorrow for competition in Winston-Salem. Our quartet rehearsed last night, running through our two songs and then listening to the recording. I think we're not going to be good enough to win any prizes, but we're not going to be horrific. Hopefully we'll improve over our performance last year, which is all we're really shooting for.

Scotty -- I haven't looked at the welkin much lately ... I need to fix that. Things have been so busy with competition coming up that I've found myself wishing I had time to slow down a little. Soon!

Phillie -- the trail sounds lovely!!

Docket -- hope you feel better and tonight's miles are fun!!

Awood -- good luck with your scheduling!!

Lauren -- glad your path is clear!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Zelanie

Morning!  School all day, conferences all night.

Lauren- You are getting speedy!

Damaris- At least you know what it was.  And the shots seem to be helping overall, yes?

Awood- Good luck if you do race!

Scotty- You never want to mention a "silver lab" to a serious lab breeder, you'll get an earful!  Most people think they're secretly mixed with Weimaraner.

hog4life

Maybe some easy miles or a RD. will have to wait and see how the day develops.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

I was up early this morning, 4:45, and ran 7 miles. It will be too hot to run this afternoon and by the time I get home from DD's swim practice it is close to 8:00. That is too late to ear dinner as it is, so I took one for the team today and got it in early. It actually feels nice to have it done.

Enjoy the rest of the day.

GinnyinPA

Today is a good day to look at the welkin here as well.  Sunny, clear and almost 60 this afternoon.  Not supposed to be a run day, but I'm running anyway.  It's too nice a day to waste indoors, and DH has a doctor's appt. this afternoon so we can't go to the mountains.

Scotty - I've never heard of a silver lab.  Sounds pretty.  Have fun at the gym tonight.

Margo - nice to have a dirt trail close to work.  It may be hard on the feet, but it is better on the knees, etc.

Damaris - I hope tonight's miles are more enjoyable than last night's.

Awood - sorry you can't find time to run.  Maybe tomorrow?

Lauren - I'm glad you got some early miles on dry trail.

HM - you must be so excited.  Good luck on your competition this weekend.  Have fun.

Z - conferences all night?  They do work you teachers hard.

Mitch - have a good day.  Are you back on nights?

Jack - good job on the early run.  I know, "I am a marathoner" can work to get you going at 5:00 a.m. when nothing else will.  But you're going to be one tired puppy tonight!

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  School all day, conferences all night.

Lauren- You are getting speedy!

Damaris- At least you know what it was.  And the shots seem to be helping overall, yes?

Awood- Good luck if you do race!

Scotty- You never want to mention a "silver lab" to a serious lab breeder, you'll get an earful!  Most people think they're secretly mixed with Weimaraner.

Good question.  They helped overall but I am not sure if right now they are adding any additional protections or just maintaining.  It is also high allergen season so maybe a combination of all is the problem. The problem is every time I reach this level I get sick (with chest congestion) immediately thereafter and I don't think it's a coincidence.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Me and a few co-workers lost power at work at 10:20.  So I took an early lunch and went to the gym and did my weight training circuit already.  Nice to work at a university and have such close proximity to a gym - and a boss who will let you have an extended lunch hour if you are working out or running. So i will just stay a little later today at work to make up the time.  It was a good workout, although I have not done my weights in about 2 weeks so my fat-body muscles are screaming in shock at me right now, lol.

That trail of yours sounds really nice Margo!  Is that near your house or your work area?

Probably a good thing to run with hubby tonite, Damaris, the way you feel today.   He can catch you if you get tired and start to fall.

Awood, how do you know if there will be a race on the road?  Good luck and safe travel.

Slushy-mess trails are no fun, Lauren - well, I guess they can be, but the wet feet is always annoying for me.  Glad your trail is now all mellow again.

Safe travel, HsM, and good luck with the competition!  Winston-Salem...isn't that where they burned all the witches?

Zelanie, I asked the dog's human if it was part Weimeraner and she said no.   I then asked Halley The Silver Lab the same question and she shook her head 'No'...but kinda winked at me too....so i dunno...

4:45, ugg, Jack, don't remind me...i will be facing those days come July and August here in Texas.    That is too late to ear dinner   Well, Jack, if you'd just eat your dinner instead of trying to listen to it.....or you have some very weird anatomy.... I can see you at breakfast..."Honey, i'm trying to eat breakfast and can't hear you now, I have a banana in my ear... "

Enjoy your beautiful day, Ginny!  lawd knows, you deserve a beautiful day after the winter you had!

Singer who runs a smidge

Safe travel, HsM, and good luck with the competition!  Winston-Salem...isn't that where they burned all the witches?

Nope, it's where they make the cigarettes the mobs were smoking while they were burning the witches!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Nope, it's where they make the cigarettes the mobs were smoking while they were burning the witches!!

Well, you should win the competition then, cuz all the teams from the Winston-Salem area will have scratchy throats from breathing in all the cigarette smoke that's there.