Beginners and Beyond

Thursday Oregon Pot Penguins (Read 27 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

HEY MON!

Oregon legalized mary-ja-wanna, Washington State already had done....gonna get real smokey on the West Coast!

San Antonio rain is starting to clear out, but still a little chilly for us - 58 for the high today - and VERY windy. We sure needed the rain but it did leave a lot of messes behind it....flooded roads, road closures, lots of mud and water everywhere, etc.  I got home after work and our silly cat, Sinatra, who wanted to go out for the day, was out behind our yard fence on a stone wall, surrounded by mud and puddles and when he saw me he began meowing like crazy, like saying "About damn time!  Come here and rescue me and get me out of this stuff!"  Got him in and dried off and he got some dinner and went right to sleep, purring like crazy.  He was very happy to be inside, lol.

Plan on running after work today, an easy 3 to 4 miles.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Last night my friend and I did something really fun and running related....

A local running store was celebrating their one year anniversary of being open with a group pub run. We started at the store, had beer, Halloween candy and chips then ran about a mile and stopped at a bar, had a few beers, ran about 2 miles, went to another bar for beers, then ran about a mile back to the store where we had more beers, pizza, and there was a raffle for free running stuff. So much fun! Even though my friend could not really keep up with the group's "easy pace" (she ran by far the fastest mile of her life just trying) so we did the runs basically by ourselves, but the store owners, who were really nice (and cute!) guys always looped back and ran with us.

We had a blast Smile

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Last night my friend and I did something really fun and running related....

A local running store was celebrating their one year anniversary of being open with a group pub run. We started at the store, had beer, Halloween candy and chips then ran about a mile and stopped at a bar, had a few beers, ran about 2 miles, went to another bar for beers, then ran about a mile back to the store where we had more beers, pizza, and there was a raffle for free running stuff. So much fun! Even though my friend could not really keep up with the group's "easy pace" (she ran by far the fastest mile of her life just trying) so we did the runs basically by ourselves, but the store owners, who were really nice (and cute!) guys always looped back and ran with us.

We had a blast Smile

Dang, that sounds like a lot to eat and drink while running!  Hope the bar owners had the Pepto and tums available post-run!

tracilynn

I doubt Alabama will ever vote for pot. This is tthe Bible Belt. There are still "dry" places here where you can't buy alcohol. We still don't have a lottery either and all the Alabamians drive to TN or GA buying lotto tickets and giving those states all of our $ meanwhile our schools can't even afford to buy expo markers or ink for the copy machines.

Kristin, that beer run thing sounds really fun!  I don't think I would be able to eat all the food either. cute guys too meow. Maybe they liked you. 

At home with a sick kid. Connor had it a few days ago and now Ella has it. Fever & bad chest congestion and a cough from HELL. I have been drinking 2-3 cups of echinacea tea daily. I hope I don't catch it before my half in Saturday. Mycoplasma is going around here (walking pneumonia).

Strength stuff and yoga for me later woohoo

~~~~~~~

Traci

Docket_Rocket

Florida did not get the 60% votes (got 58%) for the marijuana but mostly because Miami-Dade and Broward did not get out to vote (lowest turnout ever).  It actually has massive approval.  And that is why we kept our governor which no one likes.  I don't understand people.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

hog4life

Kristin, that sounds like a fun run. We had some "pub" runs at out LRS, but too far to drive for 4 miles.

Traci, sorry about the sick kiddos.

I smoked my fair share, well more like 50 shares, of pot when I was young and dumb. 8 miles last night with Bella, 60 degrees and a drizzle, it was great. I'll try for a few this evening.

tracilynn

Me too but I didn't inhale!

~~~~~~~

Traci

From the Internet.

Morning pens!

This election was weird. I'm glad DH got his fancy new $$ job when he did and we moved to a town that dumps tons of money into education, our family will be OK no matter what and I can pretend conservative policies will benefit me if I get too sad thinking about it all :P MA voted on a ballot question to make paid sick days mandatory for more workers, so that was nice. I think businesses with <11 employees are exempt, not sure of the other stipulations.

Felt gross yesterday morning so I took a sick day and URD. Lots of Netflix, felt OK after breakfast and pretty much back to normal after lunch. Some kind of 6-hour bug? Too much Halloween candy? Who knows, but I'm good again today. Also had my follow-up appointment with my surgeon, all good! He said that he typically sees a 1-2% recurrence rate for my repair, and I should essentially have nothing to worry about unless I get pregnant in the next couple years and stretch the tissue out that way (lol no thanks). The lifting/strenuous exercise restriction is only for the first 4-6 weeks and I feel pretty much entirely normal again, so I might start easing back into some very light/bodyweight strength-type stuff next week or the week after.

Ran 3 miles this morning because that's all I had time for, I might try a double today and run another 3 this afternoon since I'm just base-building for the foreseeable future.

PADRunner

Morning penguins. Tough 5 this morning. I've had a lack of motivation since I got back and just haven't been able to get back into it yet.

Zelanie

Looks like I can expect more people to want to come here for a FE now!   When we stayed up in Washington last winter, I remember running in the park and some guys were on the trail just openly smoking a bowl, not even trying to be subtle about it, and I realized that was the new future.  I have seen people openly smoking on the trails around here since then.  Legal or not, the attitude has really shifted since Washington legalized it.  As a grumpy old lady, I decided that I can disapprove of people out smoking anywhere I would also disapprove of people being out drinking.   Anyway, I certainly voted for it, although it's been years since I've smoked any.

Today I have 6 again, maybe running to/from running club with a stop to see people, maybe just around home.

Scotty- Glad Sinatra is still doing well!

Kristin- Sounds like fun!

Traci- You are a healthy runner, you'll be fine. Smile  At least that's what I'm telling myself since my kiddo is sick too.

D- I thought Broward county voters just didn't know how to operate the voting machines?

Mitch- Glad Bella is doing so well with her running!

Lauren- Hooray for the all clear!

PAD- Maybe it's time to cut back on the pot.

Docket_Rocket

I think that was Miami-Dade not Broward.  The elections department also screwed up in the morning and the governor denied to keep the

booths open later for the time they screwed up.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

3 very hot miles yesterday and today for me.

That includes stopping at hotels to cool off.

Zel, is the Oregon pot genetically modified? Hope it doesn't hurt the Brewers.

welcome back Kristin.  We are thinking of a NYC race in October since we have a wedding in Boston on 10/9.  Possibly the one in Central Park on 10/4.

tracilynn

Nice come back Lauren!  You'll be PRing in no time.  

Big FE at Zel's ! Everyone's invited! Maybe we can do a "weed run" take a hit and run a mile, take a hit run 2 miles, eat some Doritos, watch some Scooby doo reruns, etc. 

~~~~~~~

Traci

hog4life

Nice come back Lauren!  You'll be PRing in no time.  

Big FE at Zel's ! Everyone's invited! Maybe we can do a "weed run" take a hit and run a mile, take a hit run 2 miles, eat some Doritos, watch some Scooby doo reruns, etc. 

LMFAO!!