Beginners and Beyond

Shunamitism Saturday Penguins (Read 27 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Shunamitism:  Rejuvenation of an old man by a young woman.

Which is perfect for me today, as I am soon off to Seguin, TX to do my 64th race of 2013.   At my races, my old body usually gets a bit tired toward the end of the race, but then some young "Great Legs" lady passes my be and I get 'shunamitized" to give chase and push on to the finish!   Big grin

It is around 6:30 a.m. here in San Antonio right now and it is already 63 degrees!  Race start time is 9 a.m., temp then will probably be close to 70.  The record high for Nov 16 in San Antonio is 86 degrees and the weather guy this morning said we might break that today!  Crazy Mother Nature, just can't make up her mind for us if we are in our Fall or still continuing our summer.  Joking  The weather tomorrow for the San Antonio Rock n Roll marathoners and half marathoners is going to be very warm, so please send them some good thoughts!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Baboon - like LRB, if I saw that thing coming at me, I'd run the other way!  Especially on a rail trail cuz in my warped mind, lol, I'd think maybe a little train was heading right at me!  Joking

Damaris, nice marathon photo of you and the little girl yesterday in the dailies thread, that one is a keeper!

OK, I gotta hit the road to get to my race, Seguin is about an hour away.  As usual, race report and my multi-photos to be posted later.

Mmmmm...beer

Got confused for a second with the similar daily thread titles. Smile

Good morning everyone!

Some recovery miles and garage cleaning on tap for today.  Weather is supposed to be pretty nice this weekend, gonna take advantage of it and get the garage cleaned up so I can get a workout area setup.

Hope everyone has a great day!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

Scotty: Have fun at the race. Crazy hot there!

As for me, I have four recovery miles today. I'm going to run at DD's swim meet. There is usually a lot of time between her events and there is a very nice track so I will put it to use. Later this afternoon we "have" to go to an "engagement party" for my cousin. Bleh...

Have a good Saturday.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Scott, just think how many legs would pass you in the Marathon.  You would turn into a 21 year old.

Good luck with your race.

Hoping to get our run in before the rain comes, but got to take dd to eye doctor first.

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good morning penguins!

Good luck to Margo and Scotty !

I ran 9.5 this morning. Then I got a service call about 100 miles away...ugh.  I guess the rest of my day is driving.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

PADRunner

Morning all!

6 Easy this morning.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Dang Scotty, I thought I was seeing double.

Kickboxing and maybe some miles.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

Morning!  Had a great run last night! Smile  It was cold and dark and rainy, but the legs just wanted to go after two days off.

Hope Margo and Scotty are having great races!  Scotty, I hope that you find the motivation you need out there!

D2- Good luck getting your workout area!  Hope it doesn't get too cold out there in the winter!

Jack- Don't fall asleep on the track! Wink

Jerry- At least it's rain and not snow!

Gustav- Hope you have something good to listen to for the drive!  Or you can "practice" for karaoke night!

PAD- Nice miles!

D- I thought you already kicked ass in your trial yesterday!

Robert31320

Team TJ

Happy Saturday, y'all!

I last minute registered for the Flying Fortress 5k at the Mighty Eighth Air Force Museum in Pooler, GA.  This was the scene of my first ever 5k two years ago.  Today I ran it 16 minutes faster and got 3rd place in my age group!

One happy runner today!

Running for TJ because he can't.

SheCan

Morning friends and penguins!

Scotty-- hope you had a lot of fun at your race and got some awesome pictures!

Dave-- i've heard garage cleaning is very good cross training.

Jack-- enjoy your lighter running day, good luck to DD.  Have fun at your cousin's party.

Jerry-- hurry and get that run in.  Thank you for the movie review yesterday.  I was thinking it might be a good one to watch at the theater, but now I'm just going to wait until it comes out on dvd.

Gus and PAD - good job on the miles!

Docket-- have fun with the kickboxing and miles!

Zelanie-- glad you had such a great run.  I'd probably break my leg running in the dark.

Robert-- awesome job!  16 minute improvement over the first time, wowsers!  If that don't show you how much you're improving nothing will.  Congratulations on 3rd AG.

I did my neighborhood half marathon today.  More people showed up for it then I was expecting.  This was the only half marathon within 2 hours of where I live since I've started running. And this one was less then a mile from my house.  So I HAD to do it.  They did go up the one canyon I do when i want a challenging run.  So it wasn't exactly an easy run, but at least I know they area so well, I knew when to push and when to hold back.  Unfortunately, I forgot to click my garmin on when the race started.  I have no idea what time I got, but i know it wasn't that great.  However, I still ended up as 4th place woman OA.  Gotta love these small races!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Congrats Robert.  Third place is terrific.

Cut my run short after 2 miles as my hip/upper leg was sore.  Felt fine all day and when I stretched, but hurt as soon as I started running and never got better.  Try again tomorrow.  Undecided

Philliefan33

Bad day.  I managed to limp in just barely under 2:30. No injury--just cramps. I am feeling shaky and nauseated now--i will put together a RR later when I feel more recovered.

SheCan

Bad day.  I managed to limp in just barely under 2:30. No injury--just cramps. I am feeling shaky and nauseated now--i will put together a RR later when I feel more recovered.

(((((((((( Margo )))))))))))))  That's not a bad time.  I'm sorry you're not feeling great, but you did well.  Get some fluids and food in you and hopefully you'll feel better soon.  And yes, CONGRATULATIONS!  It's never easy, and you did do good, especially since you weren't feeling great.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson