Beginners and Beyond

Houston Half Marathon RR 10/27/13 Rain Rain Go Away!!! (Read 68 times)

TxDiverMom

Scroll to the bottom for quick results or read along.

If you happen to have read my Monster Mash RR, you'll remember the rain.  It's been doing that a lot in Houston.  However, if you live where it's hot and humid, you'd rather rain than 80 and humid.

I've been training for the San Antonio RnR HM on 11/17 and had not intended on running this race at all.  The problem with making lots of running friends is that they talk you into things you really don't plan on doing.  I knew I could finish it and probably do much better than my first HM last Dec.  My training has been going well.  I did intervals once a week at the track all summer and actually ran at a pace less than 10 mm on occasion.  I truly had no clue I had it in me.  Now it wasn't for far, but I was shocked that I did it at all.  I've been doing 8/10/12 on my long runs and have been doing track one day and 3-5 mile runs (occasionally a tempo or whatever) 2 days.

The race was Sunday morning starting at 7.  I car pooled downtown with some running friends.  There were major thunderstorms in the forecast, pretty much for race time.  This race is run my a local running club and most of the other local running clubs (every suburb has one) were participating.  If you had over 40 participants they set up a tent for you in the start area.  This turned out to be a REALLY important detail.  We had 2 EZ Up canopies.  YAY!!!

We took our group picture at about 6:15 because it was getting windy and seeming like the storm was coming.  It hit hard about 6:30.  They announced that the race was postponed for an hour.  There were a LOT of us huddled under those tents.  I was lucky enough to be in the middle!  That kept off most of the blowing rain.  At one point they even announced that they wanted us to all go to our cars or a packing garage for safety, but nobody under any of the tents left!  We figured we'd stay dry as long as possible.  One friend suggested the night before that we bring rain ponchos or trash bags.  I had a big trash bag and put it over me with my head sticking out.  But it kept me dry!!!  The storm moved on thru and the lightning finally stopped.  It was still raining quite a bit, but no lightning, so they announced that the race would begin at 8 AM and for us to head over to the start.

Sang the National Anthem, and we're off.  I still had on the trash bag and many people had on ponchos.  If the weather had been nice, the course would have been about the best you can have in Houston.  We left out of downtown and went down a parkway toward Memorial Park, which is a very large park west of downtown.  I started towards the middle because with only a few minutes to get to the start, everyone was pretty mixed up.  People just kind of ended up out there however.  I would have gone towards the back, but there really wasn't a way to get there.  After a few miles, I felt really good and in my groove.  I walked all the water stops and 3 big hills...well they weren't really hills...they were going up to an overpass.  Other wise, I did not walk at all until a bit in mile 11 and after mile 12.4!!!  So different from last year!!!

I have issues with cramps in my legs.  I pretty much have always dealt with this.  When I was young (in my teens) I got them often.  I got them while pregnant.  I get cramps in my toes at least once a week, maybe more...especially when they are cold.  So it's no surprise to me that I battle cramps when doing long runs.  I had them at about 7 miles on a 10 miles race a month ago when it was really hot.  I got them around 10 miles on a training run.  I'm finding that if it drink Gatorade instead of water and take gu or something like it every 40-50 min. it helps ward off the cramps.  I truly feel the culprit this time was that the last water stop at about mile 10-11 had only water and not Gatorade.  I felt strong enough not to need another Gu, so I didn't take it.  I feel like either Gatorade or a Gu might have helped me avoid the cramps....they we're true cramps which stop you in your tracks, but if I tried to run, if felt like I would cramp, so I had to mostly walk the last .7 miles.

This race was so fun for me!  It was so different from my first HM last Dec.  Last Dec. a few times I wondered if I'd finish.  I thought about quitting.  At about mile 10 I really was struggling!  I NEVER felt that way at all this race!  I truly felt good.  Yeah, there was a blister on my right foot that's been giving me fits, but I knew what it was and that it would be ok.  I'm sure the rain throughout almost the whole race contributed to the blister.  Squishy feet all the way!!!

Paces:

Mile 1  13:03

Mile 2  12:48

MIle 3  12:43

Mile 4  13:08

Mile 5  13:23

Mile 6  13:12

Mile 7  12:59

Mile 8  13:09

Mile 9  12:47

MIle 10  13:01

Mile 11  12:44

Mile 12  12:47

Thru 12.43  It took me 5:46 to go .43 miles and then my phone died.

It took me a little over 10 min. to go the last .7 miles.  That's when I was really having cramping issues.

My time was 2:52:09!!!  Yay for less than 3 hrs!!!

This was a PR compared to last year of 20 minutes!!!

Here's a picture and I'm so proud to say that it's my very first floater!

Pinktastic

Congrats!   Sounds like a soggy race, but you got a shiny new PR out of it, and best of all, you felt strong the entire way.   Good luck with your continued training!  Thanks for sharing!

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

Docket_Rocket

Congrats!  Great job breaking 3 hours and getting that course PR!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

SheCan

Congratulations you!   I'd just read your MMRR (love the costume pic you posted there!) last night, and now you're doing a Half already!  WTG, and way to hang in there.  Congratulations on the PR, and I won't be surprised if you get another one at your half next month.  Wow, if you don't look happy out there running in the rain!  Hope the blister heals up quickly.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

That course sounds like part of the course for the Bayou City 10K, along the parkway there.

Crazy darn weather!   Congrats on your half on a miserable Mother Nature day and on getting a new PR!

When will you be coming up to San Antonio?  Are you staying in the downtown area?   I know after you get here you probably will not want to run before you do the half, but if you have time, let me know and maybe we can have lunch or something.

I know half/marathon time is hectic what with packet pickup, the expo, etc., so I completely understand if you will be going helter-skelter for the time you are up here.  Whatever happens, wishing you all the luck for the RnR half!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

RabbitChaser

Congratulations! Great job crushing your old PR by 20 minutes! I think your new PR will be short lived and you'll break it at San Antonio. Thanks for sharing the RR and pic.

Zelanie

Congratulations!  I remember you from the dailies threads when you first started, and it's good to see how far you've come!  And overpasses absolutely count as hills! Smile  Good luck in San Antonio!

PS- Your shirt has my daughter's name on it. Smile

LRB

You look so happy!  Congrats on SMASHING your old PR!  Cool

Hip Redux

Wow, I can't believe the weather was so bad they postponed the race for an hour?  That would have played some mental games with me - I barely tolerate when they postpone a few minutes to deal with long the portapotty lines.

Congrats on a 20 minute PR!  Way cool.

happylily

That is such a great PR, how wonderful! I am so impressed with the fact the you battled rain and cramps and managed to run to about the entire distance! I don't do well in rain, and I've never suffered cramps, but if I did, I know I'd be crying like a baby... You are tough! That's a great finish line picture. You look happy, pretty and strong! Bravo!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Nice job - a PR, a floater, and a big happy smile all in one race!

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I agree with Gustav.  It sounds like a great day to me.  It sounds like you've come a long way in the last year, and your pacing looks pretty steady.  Congratulations.  Keep up the awesome progress.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Great PR! Man, bad weather, cramps... And you still have an ear to ear grin! I love it!!

tracilynn

Congrats on a new PR and glad this HM was a much more enjoyable race for you. Love the picture & you are adorable Smile

~~~~~~~

Traci

Just B.S.

Big congrats and great job on the PR!!