Beginners and Beyond

Penguin SaturDaily Making Punch (Read 19 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!) Big grin

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Long  run weather this weekend, so we will try for 8 or 9. today or tomorrow.  It was nice to have dinner with both DD's last night.

Have a great weekend!!!

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  10 miles this morning.  I had to leave at 6:30am and that was too late.  At least I felt 77F for like 5 minutes before it turned into 85F.  Ha.

Jerry, enjoy your LR.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

PADRunner

4.5 easy this morning. So I don't piss D off. The temp started with a 6 this morning...

tracilynn

Rest day for me.

My 15 yr old has homecoming dance tonight. Gotta go buy some glittery overpriced heels that she will likely only wear for 2 hours ?  then off for her mani and pedi.(ie more wasted $) ha

~~~~~~~

Traci

Docket_Rocket

4.5 easy this morning. So I don't piss D off. The temp started with a 6 this morning...

Bahahaha.  I mean, Angry

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

Morning!  Ran 11.5 last night.  The lungs were ready, the legs no as much.  I was just so close to 2 hours when I got to 11, that I wanted to keep going at that point.  6 later today.

Jerry- Got any races on your horizon?

D- Glad you got the miles in.

PAD- Nice run!  The temps for my LR started with a 6 last night, too.  Since it was raining, I brought a jacket. Tongue

Traci- You are a nicer mom than I am!  I don't think I bought DD a damn thing for homecoming last year.  But she did get a dress and shoes for the winter formal.  And luckily, I think she even wore them again to something or other.  I guess I should see when her homecoming dance is this year, and whether she wants to go.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

Jerry: Have a nice run. What kind of beer tonight? I'm going shopping later.

Docket: Man, does it ever cool off?

PAD: Good job on the miles.

Traci: Aren't teenagers fun? I will be going through the same thing in two weeks.

Zel: Well done! It's good to see you running some big numbers again. Smile

As for me, holy crap, my legs are tired. I just ran 18 mile at an 8:39 pace. My breathing was great, at times it felt like I wasn't breathing at all, but man are my legs tired. I think they will be ok later. I actually had a nice drizzle for a few miles early on and that was around 5:30. Now it's off to the shower and then we are taking DS back to university, late afternoon XC meet for older DD, a Costco trip, and then I have an appointment with my chair and some beer. DW can pick the movie tonight. Smile

Hi everyone else and have a great day.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

No races scheduled Mel.  We are still clicking our heels from the 2 HM's earlier this year.  I have been ramping up really slowly since my hip problem, so I'm not close to HM distance yet.  My only 8 miler was kind of a struggle.  Volunteering the Marathon will be my racing fix this fall.

GinnyinPA

Jerry - how is the hip doing?  Any twinges?  Did you do PT or just rest it?  Hope tomorrow's long run goes well.

Damaris - good job on the early 10.

PAD - Nice and cool for your Saturday run.  We're having that kind of day here too, plus rain is forecast for later.

Traci - the worst of those kind of shoes, is usually they are so uncomfortable she won't want to ever wear them again.

Z - glad your long run went well.

Jack - that was a good long run, no wonder you're tired.  Hope your son is doing the driving down to SD and your wife on the way back.  You will likely stiffen up sitting still in the car.

AFM:  Rest day here.  No residual pain from yesterdays run, surprisingly.  I seem to have a pinched nerve in my shoulder though that is causing me a lot of grief.  It woke me up and kept me awake for a couple of hours before the Tylenol finally kicked in.

Docket_Rocket

Ginny, hope that pinched nerve gets better, ouch!

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Hi guys.  I tried to make the best of a rough morning.  I woke up with a scratchy throat, stuffed up nose, and later an ear that feels like its under pressure.  I was supposed to run 19 with 15 at gmp.  I ran 2 easy, and the next 12 at gmp.  Then, I thought I felt a pretty nasty hot spot on the ball of my right foot.  I tried to run through it, and it became a stabbing pain.  I made it to 18 miles, but I wasn't at gmp any more.  I was feeling pretty rough.  I have to figure this foot thing out.  I've been checking it out, and there isn't a blister or anything.  It's just a giant callus.  I don't know if I should knock it down a bit or what.  Someone suggested wearing my socks inside out.  Sounds weird, but everybody who has tried it says it works.  I don't know.  I'll figure it out, I'm sure.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Zelanie

Awood- I usually go with a ton of vaseline on my feet when it comes to that.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Take care of the foot AW.  Hope  the pinched nerve is getting better Ginny.

Since our usual bike path is so crowded on the weekend, we decided to try the Des Plaines River trail (5 mile drive). Ran only 4 miles on gravel and dirt trail.  Nice and flat, just had to avoid the horse poo.   Much easier with the trail bikers than the rude speedsters on the bike path.  Really nice change for us and it was such a beautiful day to run in the forest preserve.  We might try another section next weekend.   DW even liked it, and she hates dirt and gravel.

Sloooow.

Afternoon all Smile

Jerry, hope you got your long run in.

Docket, sounds like a miserable run, for a change Smile Will you get ANY break over the "winter"?

PAD, lovely running weather, nice run!

Traci, it doesn't seem possible that you have a 15 year old? Have a wonderful rest day!

Zelanie, 11 miles!! Wow, congratulations! You've recovered wonderfully. When is the next race?

Jack, I wonder why your legs are so tired Joking Lol. I'm sure you will recover quickly.

Ginny, enjoy your rest day. Great to hear you have no soreness from yesterday Smile Pinched nerve sounds miserable though.

Awood, just getting out when you felt so bad, plus the foot pain, you definitely have the mental part of running down pat. I'd still be in bed. Are you due a rest day to recuperate?

AFM, 6.2 miles. OUTSIDE! OUTSIDE!!!!!!! I ran 10K outside. Yes, I'm tickled pink. 11:23 overall pace, was brought down by 2 miles of pot holes pretending to be roads. I am soaking, but at least I didn't get too hot. It was only 74-76F outside.