Beginners and Beyond

My first duathlon RR (warning: contains some cycling content) (Read 111 times)

delicate flower

Today, at the suggestion of my wife, I did my first duathlon.  She did a triathlon today with the rest of our usual race crew (Oski et al), so I was on my own today.  I chose a tough event for my debut.  4.5K run, 40K bike, 10K run.  All hilly.  This event is mainly a triathlon, but they also offer the duathlon (for those who don't swim) and an aquabike (for those who don't run).  Not only was the course hilly, but it was also 77 degrees with a 74 dew point and 94% humidity.  Not cool, man.

The duathlon started down by the water where the triathlon started, and went off with the first wave of swimmers.  I set some basic goals for myself based on last year's results:  Finish in 2:45 and a top half finish.  I had a basic idea of what I wanted for each segment too.  Getting ready for the start, I figured I'd probably be one of the faster duathlon runners given the small field, so for the first time ever, I lined myself up on the front row.  I took a very short warm up just to loosen the knee.  7:30 and we were off.

Run 1:  4.5K (2.85 miles), 22:10, 7:37 pace, 267' of uphill.

The first run starts on a dirt road uphill.  Without a decent warm up and with the humid air, I was sucking wind quickly.  Once I got out onto the road though, I settled in nicely.  This first run was comfortably hard.  As you can see, I was always either going up or going down.  I felt good though and kept it dialed back.  I only got passed by a couple of runners.  I was the 9th runner back into transition, already soaking wet, so I guess taking a spot on the front row was ok.  In transition, the duathlon and triathlon races come together and follow the same course the rest of the way.  I looked around and didn't see a lot of bikes gone.  I switched to bike attire, downed a gel, drank some water, and headed out for the bike ride.  Pace splits on the first run were 7:33, 7:48, 7:31.

Bike:  40K (24 miles), 17.5 mph, 1:22:54, 1400' of climbing.  

This was the first time I ever pedaled my road bike in a race, so I was nervous.  I was going to try to ease up a bit on the bike and save myself for the final run, but I ended up going hard for the whole ride.  Having scouted the bike route last weekend with DW, I knew what to expect:  A few miles of a rolling hills, then a whole lot of downhill followed by a whole lot of uphill.

Not a whole lot of specific detail to report on the bike ride.  I got passed by a lot of people though.  I think the 4.5K run was faster than the swim, so I just happened to get out in front of the field.  I had to be one of the first 15 people on the bike course.  The triathletes whipping past me looked like they should be whipping past me.  One after another after another.  I wasn't exactly going slow, either.  When I hit mile 15, when the climbing starts, my avg mph was 20.6.

The next (and last) 10 miles were pretty much all uphill.  I thought maybe I'd catch some riders on tri bikes on the hills with my lower geared road bike, but that didn't happen.  I started to fatigue around mile 21, and you can see that's where the uphill really gets tough.  I was standing and grinding in my lowest gear, giving it all I had but going slow, and I was happy to finally crest the final hill.  24 miles and I didn't pass a single rider.  I didn't really care because I had ridden about as well as I could have.  I pulled into transition and the race volunteer told me I was in about 50th place of all riders.  Huh...better than I expected.  I dismounted and slowly hobbled trough transition.  I racked the bike, switched into the running gear, downed a gel, drank some water, and headed out for run 2.

Run 2:  10K, 55:40, 8:59 pace, 367' of uphill.  

The first 3/4 mile of this run were through some winding trails and up the same dirt road climb the first run followed.  That was not welcoming to my tired legs.  My paces were all over the place due to the rolling hills and my fatigue.  I didn't try to force the pace.  I just took what my legs gave me.  I was doing ok for the first couple of miles, but fatigue and the warm thick air were taking over.  Around the three mile mark, I was ready for this to end.  I was soaked, I was dripping, and my shoes were squishy, and no I didn't pour any water over my head.

I got passed by more people.  At least it was just a few this time.  With 1.5 miles to go, my legs had had it.  Just keep moving...just keep moving.  Finally some flat and downhill road the last half mile.  I had no idea what my finish time was going to be but I knew my paces and splits were right around where I wanted.  As I approached the finish line, the clock read 2:43:XX, right on target on where I wanted to be.  I was smiling big when I crossed the finish line, tired as hell and just as sore.   Pace splits in the 10K were 9:06, 8:18, 8:38, 10:00, 9:30, 8:41, 7:41.  My slowest 10K yet, but that had to be expected.  Smile

Official time was 2:43:56.  Preliminary results had me at 16th overall in the duathlon.  I'm guessing there were 40 or 50 total.  I'm anxious to see the final results with all my splits and ranks for the different legs.  I had a freakin blast doing this.  I can not wait until my next one, especially since our usual race crew will all be there.  Doing races with Wife and friends is much better than going it alone.

Thanks for reading my nonsensical babble.

<3

delicate flower

Cool, results were posted while I typed this:

Overall:  16/47

Men:  13/29

Run 1:  11/47

Bike:  19/47

Run 2:  14/47

Pretty consistent between the runs and bike.  I thought for sure I lost more ground on the bike.  Gotta say, I'm pretty happy with this!  243 people did the triathlon.  Looks like I'm around the the 70th percentile when I compare my bike and second run to the triathletes.

<3

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Congrats, Phil, on your duathlon!

You should be the Rehab Poster Boy for your hospital!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Hip Redux

We missed you today, Phil!!

You really kicked ass on that course.   Wow, it's lumpy!

Docket_Rocket

Great job, Phil!  Will you try another?

Sorry, my bad.  Did I send you my Dewpoint?  Just send it further East; I don't want it!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

No more marathons

Nice -  well done.  duathons are a good althernative to those (me) who don't care to swim.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

From the Internet.

You should be the Rehab Poster Boy for your hospital!

Seriously! Nicely done, congrats!

Will run for scenery.

Very impressive debut! I can't imagine what your legs must feel like hopping off the bike (after that climb) and trying to run.

Duathlon sounds cool, but triathletes get one more spiffy outfit. Big grin

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

Just B.S.

I heart cycling content.Big grin

Great job!! I've done 9 duathlons and also did an Olympic for my debut race on a really hot day. Lots of

hills pretty similar to yours. The 2nd run can be a killer especially after climbing a lot on the bike.

You did amazing!! and I love love that medal!

We switched to tri's this year. I'm doing my 3rd of the season next weekend. They are easier. I

am a wuss.

LRB

Great job, Phil!  Will you tri another?

Doh, FYP.

Good stuff 3 to the B.  And just wait until you are all the way back running, you will be top 5 material possibly.

I would love to get into those someday.  Someday...

Just B.S.

I would love to get into those someday.  Someday...

Why wait? You should do it. All the cool kids are. Big grin

I have to 100% honestly say that for me  tri's are way more just plain fun, feeling like a kid, having a

blast , than running only races.

B-Plus

Congrats Baboon! That second run segment sounds really tough. Did the duathlon participants get the same medal as everybody else? Or did you steal MBC's for your report?

workinprogress11

Wow, great job!  That sounds like a blast.  I love to ride my bike casually and have toyed with the idea of training and racing and this might push me over the edge to buy a decent bike and have a go of it.  You did really well and should be proud of yourself.  Congratulations!

Ric-G

Congrats, that was some mean effort and nice results...thats a heluva rehab/comeback youve had there!

marathon pr - 3:16

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Hell of a job Baboon.  Reading the report, I wasn't sure that you were going to end the report with "I had a freakin blast doing this.".    I've gone for a casual bike ride after a run before, and always found that my legs were like rubber afterwards.  I can't imagine running again after hard cycling.  You've made a heck of a comeback from the knee injury.  Overall, I'm pretty darn impressed.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013