Beginners and Beyond

Don't like using your foam roller? Get this :) (Read 136 times)

Mmmmm...beer

A friend of mine had one of these at the post race party at the 20 miler this past Saturday, I tried it out and fell in love.  Using a foam roller is a workout in itself, this is spring loaded, it does the work for you.  I picked one up today from my LRS and used it while sitting on the couch watching tv, and didn't work up a sweat like I usually do when foam rolling. lol  It's a lil pricey, but I think it's worth it to get a much easier massage than from a foam roller.  Just thought I'd share.

http://www.rollrecovery.com/

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

That's a pretty cool looking device!!  I was trying to figure it out by the pic, but as soon as you said "spring loaded", it made total sense.  Ahhhhh, I can just imagine the feeling of not having to become a acrobat trying to foam roll myself.  I have one & rarely use it anymore just for that very reason.

Randy

StepbyStep-SH

But how do you wrap it around for glutes and lower back? Those are my problem areas.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

happylily

It looks like Homer's beer helmet. 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Mmmmm...beer

It won't do your lower back, but you can get the glutes by holding one side at the top of your thigh and rolling the other side over the glute.  Also have to be careful when working your lower legs to stay off your shinbone, it hurts. lol  So it won't do everything, but it definitely works the legs really well.  I've only been hitting the foam roller when I absolutely need it (probably for a day or two every few months), so it'll be interesting to see how it goes with using the R8 on a regular basis.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

onemile

This is my latest gadget.  It's pretty awesome and has already saved me a couple trips to the chiro for graston.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Holy crap.. I think that was an advert for the chics ass...

LRB

This is my latest gadget.  It's pretty awesome and has already saved me a couple trips to the chiro for graston.

Is there video of it in action?

MTA: Never mind, apparently I am a dolt. 

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Probably what I need, since I am so damn uncoordinated...I always end up falling off of the foam roller.  Gail thinks it's hysterical, she loves to watch me trying to use that thing.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

I've used the stick before with some success.

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

Just B.S.

Hubby and I foam roll each other. Its much more effective if you have someone to do

It for you, if they can stand the grimaces and squealing ( him not me Smile )

RabbitChaser

I have the roll recovery and love it! It does a great job on the upper legs and arms. You need to be carefull to avoid the shin when rolling the calf muscles with it. It's basically the same force of a foam roller, but you can do it while sitting/standing.

daisymae25

Squidward Bike Rider

Already have it as part of the arsenal.  I hate foam rolling, so this helps out a lot.

Singer who runs a smidge

Ok, so I hate foam rolling, but suspect my runner's knee would be much helped by some massage of my quads and calves, so after much pondering and reading of the return policy (which is basically, don't like it?  Return it!), I bit the bullet.  I really wish it were less expensive, but if it's as good as they (and y'all) claim, it'll be worth it.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

daisymae25

Squidward Bike Rider

Ok, so I hate foam rolling, but suspect my runner's knee would be much helped by some massage of my quads and calves, so after much pondering and reading of the return policy (which is basically, don't like it?  Return it!), I bit the bullet.  I really wish it were less expensive, but if it's as good as they (and y'all) claim, it'll be worth it.

I agree, the price is ridiculous....but considering it's the cost of roughly 2 one-hour massages, it will pay for itself in the long run.