Beginners and Beyond

Control - Alternate - Delete - Thursday Penguins (Read 29 times)

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good morning Penguins!

Not feeling it today (for work that is) - back to bed and taking a mental health day.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I did that Monday Gustav.....it is nice to do sometimes!

SRD. Switching my run and rest days a bit this week cuz I have a 5K Sunday and want a rest day Saturday. I am supposed to use the race as a time trial for my upcoming half and run it at 95% effort. Although that makes me a little nervous to do that so close to my half (6 days out)....thoughts?

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Philliefan33

Ready, Ready, it's another beautiful day...Ready, ready!

Don't know why that popped into my head this morning.  That was the wake-up call used over the PA system at a basketball camp I attended.

Gus is not ready for work -- but ready for a mental health day.  Sounds good.

Kristin -- If you are nervous about going almost full-out on Sunday, why not just run at a little faster than your suggested PCR or out-and-back pace?  You've done enough 5Ks to know how your legs feel afterwards, I say use your experience as a guide.

AFM -- RD today.  Apple picking later.  (Scotty -- it is not hard work.  It's just a nice walk in the orchard, each of us carrying about 20 lbs of apples on the way out.  Making the applesauce and/or canning pie filling afterwards seems like more work -- but we enjoy the goodies all winter long.)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning Gus, Kristin, Margo and sleeping Pengs.  Going to try to break my 1 day streak of rest days.

Have a great Friday Eve !!

Mmmmm...beer

Good morning penguins! Smile

8 miles done this morning in my new kicks, my third pair of Cortanas, great shoes!

I think I've talked myself into a 50k trail race in December.  Apparently December is my month to go temporarily insane (last year was my impromptu marathon).  My wife is laughing at me because I keep going back and forth, trying to justify it, etc.  She said to just shut up and do it. lol

Hope everyone has a great day!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Phillie- I am WAY slower than my predicted paces right now (I bailed on the anaerobic and coordination phases) so I think I need to run by effort and not the paces listed in the plan. It thinks I am going to PR this 5K by 25 seconds and run my half about a minute per mile faster than I think I can. Lol

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

hog4life

Kristin, you've already answered your question. If it makes you nervous, don't do it at 95%. I agree with Phillie, use your experience from previous 5k's. You definitely want fresh legs for the half. Maybe run it at tempo pace??

Margo, I would like some treats this winter, so maybe grab an extra 20 pounds for me.

Dave, haha at the wife's comment

Jerry, let me know when you're coming to Nashville, I could come up to meet and run with you.

I ended up with like 4.75 last night, and tonight is NOBO class. I won't get to run before hand, so maybe 4 mile tonight.

Sloooow.

Gustav, make the most of your mental health day.

Kristin, no suggestions available from this complete n00b, but I'm really excited for your upcoming races!

Philliefan, apple picking sounds wonderful. Wish we had that to do around here! Have a great rest from running day.

Jerry, have a wonderful day Smile

Dave, 50k! It will definitely be a different experience though. It cracks me up you talking yourself in and out of it, I had the same conversation with my partner and a similar response from him over my half.

Sorry for being AWOL, I'm camped out in my pre-surgery pit of misery. I haven't ran at all this week, and I've had stomach cramps since my run on Sunday. Wah wah wah Smile I'm aiming for an easy three today, then I will see how my long run goes on Saturday.

Dad on the run.

Good Mornnnnniiinnnggg! PENGUINS!

So about my day yesterday! I got off work, went and picked up my daughter and we stopped by Wal-Mart to pick up a movie that she has been patiently waiting to come out ever since it advertised months ago! Little Mermaid on blu-ray! So it was movie night at the Black house, we had pizza and candy and watched The Little Mermaid, I haven't seen that movie in a very very long time. While we watched the movie I layed in the floor and stretched / rolled my IT Band off and on throughout the entire movie.

After the movie went off it was around 10 after 7 so I grabbed my shoes, Brook Pure Flow this time, I wanted to try something with some cushion but a much lower heel/toe drop to see if that would help any (at this point I'm game for trying anything). Slapped on my watch and HRM and out the door I go, leg feels great, no pain what-so-ever!

I start running look down and I'm humming (for me anyways) 8:30ish pace, I figured might as well pick it up and see where I'm at, finish the first mile in 7:57, I'm excited! Leg still feels pretty good, lungs... not so much, I walk for less than .1 miles and start running again, about half way through I start hurting a little, not enough to affect my gait but it's definitely annoying. Finish the 2nd mile in 9:51. The last mile I do some "fartleks?" 6x 15sec sprint with 1min jog in between. Aside from the irritation of the pain it was a very enjoyable run, I got home sweating like a pig, was happily exhausted and felt accomplished. Last night was a good night and reminded me why I can't quit and I love running so much.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Zelanie

Morning!  Got my 8 in last night, nice and easy, and today I have the weekly social run.  I got a new pair of Kinvaras in a 1/2 size up, I think I'll try them out tonight.

Gustav- Enjoy the day off!

Kristin- That kind of makes sense if you think of taper as "reduce volume, not intensity".  I'd be a bit nervous to really run it all out myself, but I do think as long as you're cutting down overall volume it makes sense.

Margo- Enjoy the apple picking!

Jerry- Have a good run!

D2- Race it. Smile  I love my Cortanas, but I am hoping I can get some good mileage out of them for what they cost.

Mitch- Hope the class goes well.

Coralie-

Jimmy- I'm glad you had a good run, but, I am concerned that you are "racing" a large percentage of your runs lately, and I wonder if that might have something to do with your injuries.  Lots and lots of easy paced runs might seem boring, but they do the trick.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  Chorus tonight, and BOY was I wiped out after quartet last night!  I don't think I even heard DH come to bed.  Stretching today.

Gustav -- mental health day, yay!!

kristin -- Supposedly it takes 1 day of recovery for every mile that you race, so it should only take 3 days after your 5k for you to be back to good.  Don't panic!

Phillie -- I need to pick up some apples this weekend and make apple dumplings.  It's time!!

Jerryb -- knock that streak down!!

D2 -- glad you're loving the shoes!!

hog -- have a good class!!

Coralie -- sorry about the pit of misery!!  Hope you get to feeling better!

jblack -- glad you didn't have much pain and had a good run!!

Zelanie -- woo-hoo for your 8, and have a good time tonight!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

Gus: I love mental health days!!

Kristin and PF: Enjoy your rest days, those are something I have come to enjoy. Smile

D2: I agree with your wife. "Just shut up and do it!"  LOL! Wink  You will do great.

hog: Good stuff hog, I'm glad to see you out there again, hopefully pain free.

Coralie: Just get your surgery done and you will be fine. The running will take care of itself.

JBJ: If it still hurts, I would take some time off and ease back into it slowly. No offense, but I get the impression that you are all in or nothing. Not all of your runs need to be raced. Durning my marathon training I have truly come to appreciate a nice, SLOW recovery run.

Zel: What color did you get? I just got a pain on clearance, the red and black one, but I go a full 2 sizes up.

HsM: Smile

She Can: (from yesterday) Thanks for the (backhanded) complement!  Wink

As for me, I ran 14 miles last night, pushing the pace just a bit. I finished in 2:00 flat.  Today, I have a six mile recovery run.  Good stuff.

Have a good day.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  6 miles tonight.

I have spent my time off at lululemon, ay ay ay.  Now off to sign up for some races.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Bin Running

Gustav, Hope the mental rest day works.

Krsitin, Enjoy the RD.. 6 days should be enuff to recover from the 5K.. take 2 days easy after that.

Margo, Do yoi owned a orchard? That will be so cool.

Jerry, Enjoy the RD.. breaking a streak is difficult but sometimes it must be done.

Dave, Good luck with the 50K trail...

Mitch, Enjoy the NOBO class.

Coralie, Welcome back.. go get that 3M

Jimmy, Glad you found your mojo..Are you still going for that FM?

Mel, Why 1/2 up? K3?

Hopesmom, Wohoo for the great chorus night.. I think your DH tip-toe so that he doesn't affect your beauty sleep. Go give him a hug tonight.

Jack, Enjoy the recovery..

Damaris, When you be traveling to Chicago?

DW and DS went to in-law as all Thurs..  Today is my Friday as I take time off to go for some fancy meal with DW before DD arrive. Maybe going for Japanese bbq.
                                12.9M MLR for me just now after work.. Heatup some left-over popeyes and down 2 glass of coke.. Life's good..

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar