Beginners and Beyond

The coolest part of the BAA 10k (Read 101 times)

Hip Redux

Was when the elite runners passed us mid-packers on an out and back portion.   This was taken right after they passed MBC and I a little further up - everyone starting whooping and hollering and clapping.   Truly awesome!  This was our first race with elite runners, too, so I'm glad we managed to see them - Lelisa Desisa was beat out by Stephen Sambu during the last kick, I guess, but since I was somewhere at mile 3 when they finished I missed all the action lol

(photo from BAA)

Tight running quarters for the out and back for the mid-backers.  How many runners in the race?

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

Docket_Rocket

That's awesome.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

happylily

So cool! Looks like it was a beautiful morning for a race!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Hip Redux

Tight running quarters for the out and back for the mid-backers.  How many runners in the race?

I think they said 6k.  Definitely one of the more crowded races I've done... didn't really clear out until mile 2 for those of us lined up in the 9-10mm group!  It was just a sea of poeple.  lol

delicate flower

I think they said 6k.  Definitely one of the more crowded races I've done... didn't really clear out until mile 2 for those of us lined up in the 9-10mm group!  It was just a sea of poeple.  lol

It was tight from the back of wave one.  It started to ease up at the 1K mark (for me, anyway).  After that it never got crowded and I never had to break stride to get around anyone.  For most of the race I could have reached both arms out and not touched anyone.

<3

Ric-G

that's neat. looks like it was a great day out there.

marathon pr - 3:16

Nevrgivup

When I did this race last year, it was very congested. It was a really fun race. Hot as hell though, as there really isn't much shade on the course. Maybe I'll do it again next year. Congrats on finishing it guys.

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Wow.  That is cool.  Looks like if you got stuck mid-pack though, your finish time was going to be determined by the pack.  That's a tightly bunched group.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

RSX

I always thought it would be cool to run on Storrow Drive. I saw someone wearing the race shirt in a store this afternoon, and they always have the best looking ones.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

+1.  That other side looks packed!

Congrats on your race.

Very cool getting to see the elites.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Hip Redux

I always thought it would be cool to run on Storrow Drive. I saw someone wearing the race shirt in a store this afternoon, and they always have the best looking ones.

The tees are awesome!    We weren't on Storrow though - it was mostly on Commonwealth.  Still a neat place to run.

Will run for scenery.

That is one of the true plusses of an out-and-back course.  When you're huffin' n' puffin' and the lead runners come by it's a total WTF moment.  I think that might be the only way to really appreciate what they're doing.  Otherwise it just looks so easy.

And FWIW I've read in RRs by badass lead runners that they really DO appreciate cheers from "the pack" even if they can't spare the energy to respond.

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

Cool pic, glad you all had fun.

LRB

That is one of the true plusses of an out-and-back course.  When you're huffin' n' puffin' and the lead runners come by it's a total WTF moment. 

It can also be quite dejecting lol!  Good stuff O.