Beginners and Beyond

Treadmill running misleads you according to this article. (Read 395 times)

Jess runs for bacon

I've been absorbing Doplebock's advice on the 24 hour race thread, just because it seemed like really good stuff. Didn't realize how hardcore he is. Thanks for sharing that article.

I'm a lot slower on the treadmill, but it's a no brainer in the winter. I refuse to run at night alone so I stay indoors. I still mix it up with group runs and races (and sometimes lunchtime runs).

xor

This is as good a place to re-mention it as any...  There are some really REALLY good runners who post here.  And you wouldn't know it at first because they just talk like everyone else.  It's a little different here because most people keep their logs public.... and so they don't need to bravado it up.  We know what's what just by looking.

Sub 2:30 marathoners.

People who win ultras. Regularly.

Faster short distance people.

Nobby.  (who?  Trust me. )

Race directors

Physicians (just like RWOL!)

Etc

And... plain ol' not-as-fleet-of-feet people.

All living in harmony.  With a lack of rainbows.  Some beer.  Occasional dust ups.

Hey Doc

Feets don't fail me now

Christine Clark qualified for the Olympics doing most (2/3rds) of her training on the treadmill.

I really wonder about PEDs in this case.  I'm not necessarily implicating her but - taking away the variable of the treadmill since that was constant for her - to run a 6 minute personal best in the Olympic qualifier in terribly hot/humid weather conditions when all of the other elites were significantly slower than their PB's/crashing and burning?  In this day and age where legends are falling, it seems a little bit too Chariots Of Fire to me.  

**The Philadelphia Phillie's  catcher whose hitting average skyrocketed last year even though he was 33 or so just got suspended which is why it's on my mind.   usually things that seem almost too good to be true, are.

slowrunningjulie

I might be an outlier, but I started doing a couple of my shorter mid-week runs on a TM recently, and I have found that I am getting faster. I think that it is because I am real quick to drop my pace when I am fatigued, and you can't do that on a TM without turning down the speed. Also, the boredom factor on the TM causes me to pick up the pace so that I can finish the workout faster.

Upcoming:

July 27 - San Francisco marathon