Beginners and Beyond

Heritage to Hatzic 10k RR (Read 60 times)

B-Plus

Short version

Time:  38:57 (PR)

OA place:  5/113

AG place:  3/9

Gender place:  5/44

Longer version

On April 7, I ran the Heritage to Hatzic 10k, a tune-up for my goal 10k in 3 weeks. First off, I broke one of my rules in terms of the location of the race, as it was probably about a 75 minute drive to get there, but this fit nicely on the race calendar so I thought I’d give it a shot. I usually don’t even drive to most of my races, unless it’s a destination race.

My previous PR was 40:24 from 2008, and all things were pointed to that PR being smashed, as I wasn’t in as good a shape when I ran my previous PR, and things have been progressing along nicely recently, including my recent 23-second 5k PR.

I got up at 5:30, had breakfast and did the rest of the race morning ritual (if I even remember how the ritual goes), and arrived at the race location at around 8:00 a.m. – about an hour before the start. I really need to my houseguest for being such a trooper for getting up early with me and withstanding the cold and rain to watch me. I got in about a 20-minute warm up jog with 3 strides, stripped off my warm up gear and off to the starting line. I made a last minute decision to change out of the singlet into a tee. I just wish I hadn’t noticed the pebbles in my shoes so close to the start, but luckily they didn’t bother me.

There were just over 100 people for the 10k, and a few more for the 5k. I didn’t really have a set time goal for this race, but I did want to PR, go under 39:00 and go under 38:40 if all the stars aligned correctly. Ok, so maybe I did have a few times goals. But really, looking at last year’s results, I thought I might have to race the competition instead of myself with this one, depending on who showed up.

1 km – 3:39 (5:53 mile pace) – I was waiting a while at the start, so my Garmin went into sleep mode or whatever you want to call it for the starting gun, so I ended up fiddling with it on the downhill start. I just added the variance from my watch time and my chip time to this mile split, so close enough. I went out super-fast like an idiot on the downhill start, trying to stick with the leaders as long as a could and then realized I was going to finish a bit further back than I had expected. Then I remembered that there was also a 5k going on, so I didn’t know who I was chasing. A few times I looked down at my Garmin and noticed the pace was slow, so I tried to pick it up. Then I remembered that I still had the pace set in miles, but the distance in kilometres. I felt like such a fool when I came to that realization.

That’s me in blue, before getting dropped by the master behind me. It looks like I heel strike like a mofo:

2 km – 3:49 (6:09) – Ok, that’s more like it. The race starts to spread out at this point, and I come to realize that this will likely become a solo time trial. We turn into a park and down a pretty big hill on a hard packed gravel path. I can see the 5k leader running pretty much alone way ahead of the pack on the trail at the other side of the park.

3 km – 3:46 (6:04) – The 5k runners turn off, and we exit the park and I can see 5 runners ahead of me. I hope that’s it, since I can’t see the chase bike. There’s not much to see here, just small town suburbs, but it’s pretty flat for this part of the race.

4 km – 3:57 (6:21) – Ok, I spoke too soon. We head up a pretty nice sized climb, and then there are only 3 runners left in sight. I tried to relax on the uphill, and surge at the peak. I ended up passing one of the runners, but can still hear his footsteps for a while. Now there are two runners to chase within my sight.

5 km – 4:04 (6:33) – The two runners ahead are still within sight, but somewhat far away. At this point, I decided to stop staring at my pace on the Garmin and I wanted to focus on keeping them in sight with the hopes that they will fade soon and I could close the gap a bit. A bunch of suburban rollers this split.

6 km – 3:51 (6:11) – I’m still running alone with the two ahead in sight. I try to remain focused here and push a little bit with the intent on making up ground on them. It didn’t work, so they must have picked it up as well.

7 km – 4:08 (6:40) – There was a little bit of a climb here. The most eventful part of this split was going the wrong way when either I misunderstood or the volunteer misdirected me at one of the meeting points of the 5k and 10k. He was able to quickly correct me, so I only lost about 3-4 seconds on that misturn. I could here the runner I previously passed on the hills following me the wrong way as well. We turn into another school near the end of this km and I lose sight of the 2 ahead of me for a bit due to some twists and turns, but I regain sight once we hit a straightway again.

8 km – 3:57 (6:22) – I decided that if I wanted to catch them, now is the time to put in a solid effort, but I couldn’t muster much. The guy behind me must have been fading, because I’m pretty sure I dropped him for good here.

9 km – 4:08 (6:40) – We re-enter the park near the start, and with about 1.5 km to go, we have now have to go up that big hill. I hope that I could catch the 2 ahead, but no such luck.

10 km – 3:39 (5:53) – We come out of the park onto the streets, and head our way back to the school. I start my kick a bit early, determined to close as much space as possible or die trying. We get back to the school for a final sprint around the track. As I go around the last turn onto the final straight, I can see sub-39 slowly slipping away, so I found one last gear and am sprinting pretty hard to just slip under at 38:57. I hung out for a bit while I caught my breathe to wait for the next runner, who turned out to be the one I lost earlier, about 40 seconds back.

Overall, I’m happy with my performance and the nice PR, but I just have to think that if I was able to pull off a 3:39 final km with that kick, I could have pushed a bit harder earlier in the course. I also wonder if I would have been able to hang with the 2 ahead of me, who finished in 38:18 and 38:30 if I had just been able to keep up with them at the start. The problem though was the joint start with the 5k, so I didn’t know who I was chasing. I was thinking of putting in some surges mid-race to try to catch them, but I decided to just take the safer route and run my race and hope that I could still do well in this time trial format. Hopefully for my next race at the end of the month, there will be more people running my pace that I can work off of.

In terms of the actual event, I found it too be well organized and a decently challenging course. I don’t like the joint start, but I guess there are logistical and possibly cost challenges in having a separate start, even if the starting time is different. If it wasn’t so far away, I wouldn’t hesitate to say that I’d do it again.

Next race:  April 28 (10k goal race)

YAYpril - B-Plus

Great job, B, and I love the pictures! Congratulations on your PR. Smile

Docket_Rocket

Congrats on the PR!  I love your running form (looking good hammering those miles).  Great job!

As to thinking you could've run a bit harder, I always leave the race feeling a tad like that.  I wouldn't worry.  I'll bet you all that wet pavement and raining had you slowing down a bit.  I know I slow down a tad for fear of slipping and falling.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

Speedy race B, nicely done.  I couldn't help but notice in your nice pics that all of you seem to be running off the tangents.  Particularly at the beginning you all are near the yellow line yet the road curves to the runners right.  Do you think you could have picked up some time by hugging the curbs a bit?

Still you got some juice in dem legs, keep it up for your upcomming goal race.

Hip Redux

Alrighty speedy!  Nice work and PR!!

LRB

Photos can be misleading, the force of impact doesn't necessarily happen in the heel even if it looks like it is striking first.

I have driven further for a 10k, it helps when it is a well organized event.

That was a nice read.  It's funny how it wasn't your goal race, but yet you're kicking yourself for this or that.  True competitor, I feel you on that.

Way to knock that bad boy out!  You are set up nicely for your goal race.  Can't wait to read all about it!

Trail Monster

Great job! COngrats on the PR!

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Hip Redux

Photos can be misleading, the force of impact doesn't necessarily happen in the heel even if it looks like it is striking first.

Except he's not landing underneath his body - physics would dictate that he can't land midfoot when it's in front of him like that.

Not that I care how you land, B+, because you're still way fast!

LRB

Except he's not landing underneath his body - physics would dictate that he can't land midfoot when it's in front of him like that.

Not that I care how you land, B+, because you're still way fast!

One would need a sequence of stills to judge fairly, but in this particular shot you may be right....or you may not be [insert loud scream and horror film piano] moohoohahaha!

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Very nice RR! You definitely have speed! The hard work is paying off. Smile

- Andrew

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Congrats on your PR, way to go!  Wow, that looks like a wet run!  You looked really strong in your photos!

That first photo made me laugh cuz it makes it appear there are a couple of runners with umbrellas.  I know the brellies are probably being held by spectators at the side of the road...but my first thought was "Wow, that umbrella wind drag must really slow their pace down!"  Joking

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

SheCan

Great job, speedy B!  I'm rather surprised that as small of a race as it was that you didn't place higher even.  Still yet, 5th overall is really awesome.  Great pictures, and fabulous PR!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Zelanie

Congrats on a fast race in a speedy field!  Pace in miles but distance in k sounds like a recipe for major confusion!

B-Plus

Thanks for the comments everybody, and sorry for the late reply. Things have been a bit busy around here lately.

April - Thanks. It was nice to get some race pics of myself for once, since I'm usually the loner without a cheering section/mobile bag check Big grin

D - Thanks. I like to think that wet pavement makes me look faster in the photos, but I think you're right that I probably needed to slow down a bit on tighter turns.

F5 - Thanks for the interesting observation. I really just tried to follow those in front of me, but I did focus on running the tangents later in the race on the more obvious turns. It wasn't always possible though, since we only had half the road.

Oski/Banshee/Brrrrrrr- Thank you!!

LRB - You reminded me that I left out quite a few thoughts on this RR, since I wrote it piecemeal over the course of a few days. My goal was to just get a practice race in and to figure out how I should feel, but you're right, the competitor in me will never be satisfied. Even though I don't like to race often, I've come to realize that I do need to race more often when training for these distances to get better at racing. I'm starting to like this idea of a racing phase, instead of just having a goal race. I think I'll do that next time around and get you to school me on Daniels. Better yet, I'll read the damn book!

Oski/LRB - Those photos where I'm landing way in front do strike me, as I've never seen a race photo of myself landing that far forward. I hope LRB is right, but it's likely that I just need to learn how to run downhill properly. See the guy behind me who looks to be landing a bit in front of his body as well. Maybe I need to set up a camera on a tripod one day and get a bunch of pics or video of myself running at different speeds.

Scotty  - Your comment reminds me of an 8k I did a few years back where I bunch of walkers with massive golf umbrellas lined up right behind the elites. I was so pissed!!

She Can - I was aiming for a top 3-5 finish.

Zelanie - Distance is k is a given since I'm in Canada. But I switched my training over to miles a few years ago when I decided I wanted to try to BQ. I did purposely set my watch up like that, thinking it would be easiest for me, but it really shouldn't matter since I should be racing by feel, not what it says on my watch. In any event, maybe I should switch all of my training back to kms, if not just to confuse all of you when I post in the dailies Big grin

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Wow you have a lt to be proud of here!!! Awesome job! And this is only a ten up?! Can't wait to see what you do with your goal 10k!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to