Beginners and Beyond

What does a 50 mile week look like? (Read 210 times)

Zelanie

If you check my calendar in my log, you can see how I've been building to hit 50 miles, which if all goes well should be next week. What I'm finding is that the closer to 50 I get, the more I really need to add a 6th day with a short recovery run instead of a second RD. But I'm also finding that a short recovery run seems to work as well as a RD lately, which is nice.

MrNamtor

I hit 52 miles in a seven day streak at the beginning of this month. You can still see it in my log, first 7 days of February, something like that.

MrNamtor

If you check my calendar in my log, you can see how I've been building to hit 50 miles, which if all goes well should be next week. What I'm finding is that the closer to 50 I get, the more I really need to add a 6th day with a short recovery run instead of a second RD. But I'm also finding that a short recovery run seems to work as well as a RD lately, which is nice.

Yeah you're doing great. Congrats on your recent race btw. I read the RR but neglected to comment.

Mostly harmless

Look at my log for the past few weeks. I'm averaging in the low 50's right now.

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

Zelanie

Thank you! I'm hoping to be ready for my 10 miler next!

Yeah you're doing great. Congrats on your recent race btw. I read the RR but neglected to comment.

MrNamtor

Thank you! I'm hoping to be ready for my 10 miler next!

with the mileage you're doing you'll kill it. You're running about the volume I've been running for the past 8 months, and I know you'll surpass it, but having run an average 35 ish mpw for the past 8 months I feel very strong in my running. Not marathon runner strong, but i'd be totally confident about a 10 miler at this point.

robinde

I just reread your post: were you talking about doubles in general? Or breaking up the long run into two runs?

Doubles in general.  Thank you.

Here are a couple of mine back-to-back from December. There was a 10K on the Saturday before the first of these weeks. These were shortly before I started my current marathon-specific training where I was aiming to be around 50 but without a real LR. I'm also single with no kids, so I probably don’t have the schedule issues some people have to work around.

M off

T 6 easy

W 12 easy

T off

F  am 5 easy, pm 8.2 w/3.6 tempo

S 2.3 very easy then 5.2 moderate with group

S 13.5

Total 52

M 4 easy

T off

W 9.2 with intervals (5x 1000)

T am 9.3 easy, pm 1.3 easy then 3.3 moderate with group

F 4.7 recovery

S 10 easy

S 12 very easy

Total 53

PRs: 5K: 21:25, 10K: 44:05, HM: 1:38:23* (downhill), M: 3:32:09

I didn't do doubles for a long time because most books say marathon runners don't need them until 70 mpw. But I've discovered I like them because they sometimes allow me to do better tempos or intervals--I can hit my paces better if I don't have a super-long warmup, so I sometimes like to limit the total distance of a run with tempo/interval component . However, sometimes the doubles are just because I have a short evening group run that I enjoy doing for the social aspect, so I fit the schedule around it. At my age (45) I like to have at least 2 days either off or very low miles, it just seems to help with my recovery. I did go up to (often) 6 days/week and a peak weak of 65 miles during this marathon cycle.

PRs: 5K: 21:25, 10K: 44:05, HM: 1:38:23* (downhill), M: 3:32:09

Docket_Rocket

I do doubles sometimes, especially when life interferes too much with my running. You gotta do what you got to do to get those miles in.

I didn't do doubles for a long time because most books say marathon runners don't need them until 70 mpw. But I've discovered I like them because they sometimes allow me to do better tempos or intervals--I can hit my paces better if I don't have a super-long warmup, so I sometimes like to limit the total distance of a run with tempo/interval component . However, sometimes the doubles are just because I have a short evening group run that I enjoy doing for the social aspect, so I fit the schedule around it. At my age (45) I like to have at least 2 days either off or very low miles, it just seems to help with my recovery. I did go up to (often) 6 days/week and a peak weak of 65 miles during this marathon cycle.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

happylily

When I'm not in training, tapering or recovery, I run 45-50 mpw. During those weeks, I like to run 5 days, with a longer run of usually 14 miles. All the other runs will be somewhere between 6 and 10, usually. I really love those weeks, because I don't worry about pace at all. I run all of my runs at a moderate effort. With a few tempo here and there. I wish I had more weeks like that...

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Someday I hope my weekly runs can look like ya'lls Smile Just plain awesome.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Goorun

Interesting thread. It put things in perspective for me.

Slow and steady never wins anything.

Village people

Interesting thread. It put things in perspective for me.

How so?

racecat

Goddess of the Cuisine

How so?

Probably forgot what a 50 mile week looks like.

In transit, arriving on time.