Beginners and Beyond

Is 11 Miles Enough... Now talking about Elevation gains and how my area has made me a wimp... (Read 155 times)

Village people

You can do this! A big part of hills is mental. My usual route has elevation changes of 400+ft. I ran once during a snowstorm and with both ground and road covered, my whole perspective was changed. It was the easiest run! Those hills looked so much smaller and felt like nothing.

Don't let a few hills stress you out! Good luck.

Better I Leave

You can do this! A big part of hills is mental. My usual route has elevation changes of 400+ft. I ran once during a snowstorm and with both ground and road covered, my who perspective was changed. It was the easiest run! Those hills looked so much smaller and felt like nothing.

Don't let a few hills stress you out! Good luck.

Wait a minute Jan...You got it all wrong! You should be saying it like this...

"I ran my usual route during a snowstorm and with both ground and road covered...uphill with an elevation gain of 400+ft...both ways!" **grin**

Coastal

You'll be fine distance wise.

Village people

Wait a minute Jan...You got it all wrong! You should be saying it like this...

"I ran my usual route during a snowstorm and with both ground and road covered...uphill with an elevation gain of 400+ft...both ways!" **grin**

A couple more drinks and that is what I will be posting, Wink

pae

Being from West Virginia, "The Mountain State", I find those elevation changes amusing.

Being from Colorado, I have to agree.  The minimum elevations for my local runs are all above 6100 feet.  The route that I do for my hill workouts has a total of about 1050 feet of climbing (and descending) over 8.75 miles.

pae

2011 NorCal Tough Mudder...13 miles in length, over 6500ft in total elevation gain...every bit of it above 6000ft. I saw a lot of people "fade" as they were totally unprepared for the altitude.

Every year, there's the Pikes Peak Ascent and Marathon here.  The Ascent is on Saturday, and covers 13.3 miles and climbs over 7500 feet.  The average grade for the entire route is 11%.  The Marathon is on Sunday, which basically does the Ascent route in both directions.  There are some people who do both races.

http://www.pikespeakmarathon.org/index.htm

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Okay, pae do you mean elevation gain as in how many feet you climb or how high up you are? I just want to be sure we are all on the same page, as I am talking about climb. If you are too, then you are a beast.

The elevation gain as a whole isn't the issue, it is that darn climb that is going to slow me down a bit and I hate the idea of that........ OOOfff course looking at the drop afterwards I might be able to make up for the time lost on the climb....

PineGroveDave - I would be one of those people Joking

DJJan- thanks, I think I will too but I don't expect any PRs or PBs lol.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

pae

Okay, pae do you mean elevation gain as in how many feet you climb or how high up you are? I just want to be sure we are all on the same page, as I am talking about climb. If you are too, then you are a beast.

The loop that I do repeats of covers 1.45 miles.  The low point is 6380 feet in elevation at the bottom of the main climb.  Over the next 0.55 miles, it goes up to an elevation of 6540 feet.  From there, it goes back to the low point (almost all descending) over the next 0.9 miles.  Does that make sense?

MTA:  It's a rough climb, and some parts are really steep.  This is, however, the one place where I ran past a cyclist (who was still pedaling).

MTA2: If you look at my training log for Feb 13, it might make more sense.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Yep

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Jen16226

Sure you can survive on a half with just a 11 mile long run (almost all new marathoners survive a marathon with most likely there longest run ever being 20 miles).  The question is how well you will do with only a 25mpw average and just an 11 mile long run not if you will survive (I survived my first one with my longest ever being 10 and your far better trained than I was for my first).  Its your first you can learn from it and then when your ready for your next you can do more miles and be better prepared.

I am looking ahead at my first HM and have been looking at training plans thinking the same thing....is my longest LR of 12 miles going to be enough?

What is bolded above is how I feel.....I would rather be truly prepared and know how I am going to feel rather than "just" getting it done.

Goals for 2013:

Run 10K Race- ACCOMPLISHED!!!!

Run HM

RACES:

2-9 Kittanning Rotary Club 5K 44:38 on ice UGH

3-9 New Port Richey, Fl Pasco Challenge 10K- 1:22:55

5-12 Komen Pittsburgh Race for the Cure 5K

7-6 Ford City Heritage Days 5K

8-4 Pittsburgh Rock n Roll 1/2 Marathon

9-29 Richard S.Caliguri City of Pittsburgh Great Race 5K