Beginners and Beyond

A progress report of your year thus far: How is it shaping up? (Read 84 times)

happylily

Blue, I'll be honest: black birds with scary eyes on them are not my thing... But well shaped calves and ankles, and men who are not afraid of pain are extremely attractive to me. So an A+ from me for that. 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

No more marathons

Blue, I'll be honest: black birds with scary eyes on them are not my thing... But well shaped calves and ankles, and men who are not afraid of pain are extremely attractive to me. So an A+ from me for that. 

MTA:  pain was really not what I expected.  Almost fell asleep at one point.  It was only the work down around the ankle that caught my attention.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

B-Plus

Gained 20 lbs, but then lost 15 of them.

My first real race of the year is coming up next weekend. By default, I give myself a B+

Cyberic

Big grin

Gained 20 lbs, but then lost 15 of them.

My first real race of the year is coming up next weekend. By default, I give myself a B+

LRB

Had to shave my legs to get this bad boy - so I guess I'm all ready to switch to the bike?

Go big or go home 'eh?  I like your thinking!  I do not have any tats at this time either.  I just could never settle on anything I wanted to see on me everyday for the rest of my life.  lol

What is behind the artwork of the one you finally decided on?

LRB

Gained 20 lbs..

You did that shit like a G, yo! 

lily I am scared to grade myself because you might smack me upside my head.  lol What can I say, some of us are just hard on ourselves.

One, don't be too hard on yourself.  In the movie Inception, Leonardo's character states that the most dangerous thing is an idea, for once it takes hold it is hard to fight.  Even though it was just a movie there is truth to that, you will bounce back. stronger and wiser than ever!

Damaris how do you justify a C and you had major flippin' surgery?  I cannot wait to hear this one, yawn. 

Moon shouldn't there have been an A in front of that O-K?  Or B?  lol at either choice.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Signed up for 1 HM and finished it, just before a meniscus tear.  Worked around that with a cortisone shot, so I'll give myself a B.  Adjust that to an A for first FE.

No more marathons

Go big or go home 'eh?  I like your thinking!  I do not have any tats at this time either.  I just could never settle on anything I wanted to see on me everyday for the rest of my life.  lol

What is behind the artwork of the one you finally decided on?

Nothing special.  Once DW and I decided we wanted to get some ink we both just started looking at different images on the web.  I was first looking at Shel Siverstein's "where the sidewalk ends" or "the giving tree".  That morphed into gnarly trees with birds, and then into just the birds.  Was looking for awhile at Phoenix but then ran across the one I settled on.

He's a leaker!

LRB

Nothing special.  Once DW and I decided we wanted to get some ink we both just started looking at different images on the web.  I was first looking at Shel Siverstein's "where the sidewalk ends" or "the giving tree".  That morphed into gnarly trees with birds, and then into just the birds.  Was looking for awhile at Phoenix but then ran across the one I settled on.

That explains a lot, it's a nice piece!

happylily

Blue, I once read a novel by Stephen King where crows were trying to help the main protagonist, despite appearances. Can't remember the title. It was about a writer, as usual with King. Here's what I found about crows in totems:

The crow is a spirit animal associated with life mysteries and magic.  The power of this bird as totem and spirit guide is provide insight and means of supporting intentions. Sign of luck, it is also associated with the archetype of the trickster; be aware of deceiving appearances.  If the crow has chosen you as your spirit or totem animal, it supports you in developing the power of sight, transformation, and connection with life’s magic.

happylily

You did that shit like a G, yo! 

lily I am scared to grade myself because you might smack me upside my head.  lol What can I say, some of us are just hard on ourselves.

One, don't be too hard on yourself.  In the movie Inception, Leonardo's character states that the most dangerous thing is an idea, for once it takes hold it is hard to fight.  Even though it was just a movie there is truth to that, you will bounce back. stronger and wiser than ever!

Damaris how do you justify a C and you had major flippin' surgery?  I cannot wait to hear this one, yawn. 

Moon shouldn't there have been an A in front of that O-K?  Or B?  lol at either choice.

You're an A+ and that's all there is to it. I will not allow one more opinion from you, or any others, on that subject. 

No more marathons

Blue, I once read a novel by Stephen King where crows were trying to help the main protagonist, despite appearances. Can't remember the title. It was about a writer, as usual with King. Here's what I found about crows in totems:

The crow is a spirit animal associated with life mysteries and magic.  The power of this bird as totem and spirit guide is provide insight and means of supporting intentions. Sign of luck, it is also associated with the archetype of the trickster; be aware of deceiving appearances.  If the crow has chosen you as your spirit or totem animal, it supports you in developing the power of sight, transformation, and connection with life’s magic.

Nice - I'd like to say that was my inspiration - so I will.  Yep, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.  

He's a leaker!

happylily

Nice - I'd like to say that was my inspiration - so I will.  Yep, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.  

You are a wise man for having chosen this most powerful design. 

onemile

You too are being too harsh on yourself. I think you are an A who, like many of us, became a little too over-confident in your abilities and ended up with an injury. C for that. But overall, you're an A who finished on a B note... If you are back to running now, you'll be surprised at what you can do next month. I'd say you could probably run a pretty good marathon come November...

Thanks Lily. I'm able to run some but my calf still feels weak and definitely not healed yet. I'm afraid it's going to take some time before it can handle higher mileage and quality.  We'll see what the next month brings but honestly I'm kind of a brat and don't want to run Monumental if I can't run the time I want to run.   I think I'd rather run a PR half this fall and then train for Boston.

happylily

Thanks Lily. I'm able to run some but my calf still feels weak and definitely not healed yet. I'm afraid it's going to take some time before it can handle higher mileage and quality.  We'll see what the next month brings but honestly I'm kind of a brat and don't want to run Monumental if I can't run the time I want to run.   I think I'd rather run a PR half this fall and then train for Boston.

It's very honourable, and logical, to prefer quality over quantity when it comes to the marathon. Insisting on training for something that could lead to injury again would not make sense. A PR half would make you the queen of fast around here (well, you already are, but it would be even more so!). I hope my budget allows me to go to Boston next spring so I get the chance to meet you, even if it's just at the athletes village. I'd really like that.