Beginners and Beyond

A progress report of your year thus far: How is it shaping up? (Read 84 times)

Mmmmm...beer

Even though I'm a lil behind on my mileage goal, everything else is going amazingly well.  I've hit two of my goals, my weight loss goals are coming right along, my running in general is the best it's ever been.  I've only missed one of my goals, but I'll get that one (10k) in Oct.  So I give myself an A-. Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

MI_Tim

I'm starting over.

MothAudio

Thanks Lily. I'm able to run some but my calf still feels weak and definitely not healed yet. I'm afraid it's going to take some time before it can handle higher mileage and quality.  We'll see what the next month brings but honestly I'm kind of a brat and don't want to run Monumental if I can't run the time I want to run.   I think I'd rather run a PR half this fall and then train for Boston.

Smart. Same here after my last marathon in 2010. My AT wouldn't allow me to train the way I wanted so I set my sights on the half and ended up setting my master 5k and HM PB three times along with a 14k PB. Working on your speed will make MP seem stupid easy.

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

I am pretty darn satisfied with my first half. Some highlights:

- 1300 miles

- 4 months of 200+ miles, including a PB of 270

- stretch of 7 straight weeks of 60+ miles

- ran 6 days/week without any additional off days, from Jan 1st till my marathon mid-April.

- PR's in marathon (including first sub-4) & half marathon, 3 weeks apart

- first attempts at racing 5k & 10k; won AG awards in both

- all the above races in an 8-week span

Overall I would give myself a solid B. Not because I think I could've done anything better, but because I have higher hopes for the future. I am looking forward to the opportunity to get more serious about my training, and cut a lot off my race times.

Sadly it ended on a bit of a low note, with a knee injury recurrence on 6/15, significantly cutting back my running since then. It remains to be seen how this will pan out in the 2nd half.

Dave

happylily

I am pretty darn satisfied with my first half. Some highlights:

- 1300 miles

- 4 months of 200+ miles, including a PB of 270

- stretch of 7 straight weeks of 60+ miles

- ran 6 days/week without any additional off days, from Jan 1st till my marathon mid-April.

- PR's in marathon (including first sub-4) & half marathon, 3 weeks apart

- first attempts at racing 5k & 10k; won AG awards in both

- all the above races in an 8-week span

Overall I would give myself a solid B. Not because I think I could've done anything better, but because I have higher hopes for the future. I am looking forward to the opportunity to get more serious about my training, and cut a lot off my race times.

Sadly it ended on a bit of a low note, with a knee injury recurrence on 6/15, significantly cutting back my running since then. It remains to be seen how this will pan out in the 2nd half.

Yes, that was a fabulous first 6 months for you, Dave. Even more so considering that you were in the injury thread for quite a while the year before. I know that you have higher expectations for the future, but you can still consider this an A season. I can't imagine what you could have done better in terms of effort and dedication in your training.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

onemile

It's very honourable, and logical, to prefer quality over quantity when it comes to the marathon. Insisting on training for something that could lead to injury again would not make sense. A PR half would make you the queen of fast around here (well, you already are, but it would be even more so!). I hope my budget allows me to go to Boston next spring so I get the chance to meet you, even if it's just at the athletes village. I'd really like that. 

Yes, we will definitely have to meet at Boston!

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Well, I got cut open and had surgery to get my 2 year long injury fixed.  I don't know whether to grade that as an A or an F!    Either way, I am looking forward to the second half of this year.

Running is dumb.

LRB

Well, I got cut open and had surgery to get my 2 year long injury fixed.  I don't know whether to grade that as an A or an F!  

An A+ since you are finally not injured anymore!

onemile

Smart. Same here after my last marathon in 2010. My AT wouldn't allow me to train the way I wanted so I set my sights on the half and ended up setting my master 5k and HM PB three times along with a 14k PB. Working on your speed will make MP seem stupid easy.

I learned the hard way that having pressure to get back to training while injured is bad.

onemile

Well, I got cut open and had surgery to get my 2 year long injury fixed.  I don't know whether to grade that as an A or an F!    Either way, I am looking forward to the second half of this year.

Definitely an A. Last year being injured without really knowing what was wrong was an F.

Definitely an A. Last year being injured without really knowing what was wrong was an F.

Word.

Dave

Little Blue

Even though I'm a low mileage hobby-jogger, this year has been my most consistent yet.  I accidentally blew away my 5K PR by 2:30 (25:17), that's my only race so far.  I have a HM scheduled in November, maybe something will pop up in between.

At the end of June, I was almost precisely half way to my mileage goal for the 2014 mileage game.  Keeping ahead of that danged pace bunny by mere steps!

I've had a couple of stoopid non-running injuries that sidelined me for a few days at a time, but nothing major.  If I can keep up the pace through this steamy NC summer, I'll be doing okey-dokey.

A-

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

It's very honourable, and logical, to prefer quality over quantity when it comes to the marathon. Insisting on training for something that could lead to injury again would not make sense. A PR half would make you the queen of fast around here (well, you already are, but it would be even more so!). I hope my budget allows me to go to Boston next spring so I get the chance to meet you, even if it's just at the athletes village. I'd really like that. 

+1  Go get a new HM PR  in November.  Run Boston for fun or whatever.  Weren't you going to quit marathons, anyway?    Lily has wise words.  But most of all, you better be training for my comeback race aka the Dousman Du.

Running is dumb.

RSX

I'm giving myself an incomplete.

Last year I ran 19 races and 1,700+ (1,500+ year before that) which was a PR for me by over 100 so I think it all caught up with me as I have had knee issues all this year. They slowed me down in Boston a tad, but at least I got there and had such a blast. I was close to 800 miles by the end of May, so just decided to slow everything down, and do less races. Hoping to be back soon but taking my time.

onemile

+1  Go get a new HM PR  in November.  Run Boston for fun or whatever.  Weren't you going to quit marathons, anyway?    Lily has wise words.  But most of all, you better be training for my comeback race aka the Dousman Du.

I was only going to take a year off of marathons. Not quit.    And I am taking my duathlon training quite seriously.  I plan on having a much faster bike split this year!  I just need to find the fastest aero helmet.  Maybe something like this: