Beginners and Beyond

Thursday Penguins (Read 19 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!).

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

'Morning.  Waiting for the plumber to work on our clogged sewer pipe.  Hope they can dig in the rain.

RD for us.

Singer who runs a smidge

Hey Penguins!  I might take an RD as well, my knees are fussing a bit and I have chorus rehearsal tonight.  Not much else going on, the traffic this morning wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be, even though it's the first day of classes.

Jerryb -- hope the plumber guys get the work done!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

PADRunner

Morning penguins. 4 done this morning.

In honor of Senior Citizens Day.

"When I do the best I can with what I have, then I have won my race."

--Jay Foonberg, 72 year old runner

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  10 with 6 progressive done this morning (working from home today, yay).  Pilates later this afternoon.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Bin Running

Morning! 8 easy done.

Anyone has experience with lunges?

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Singer who runs a smidge

Sure, Dusty lunges at things all the time! 

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

LMFAO.

I do lunges.  I hate lunges.

One good way to do them is not to have the legs close to each other but to move the straight leg a bit further apart.  The balance is better that way.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

I have the same relationship with squats.

PADRunner

LMFAO.

I do lunges.  I hate lunges.

One good way to do them is not to have the legs close to each other but to move the straight leg a bit further apart.  The balance is better that way.

Lots of lunges, forward, backwards and side. Do not do lunges around a basketball court the week before a race...

Totally unrelated but the headline caught my attention.

Rocket Dockets for Kids in Immigration Courts Raise Doubts About Fairness

Docket_Rocket

LOL.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Bin Running

Hee hee. PAD, why no lunges on basketball court the week before race?

Or, should I just climb stairs since they are almost the same. Right?

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

PADRunner

Hee hee. PAD, why no lunges on basketball court the week before race?

Or, should I just climb stairs since they are almost the same. Right?

In one of my boot camp classes we had to do lunges all the way around the court. I was sore for week!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

This morning it was up again at 5 a.m. and off to one of the several Y's I can choose from.  This time I chose the Y that has a VERY hilly neighborhood across the street from it.  These are not 'baby hills' either, each hill goes up - or down, depending on which direction you are running - for about 4/10 of a mile.  I just started at the first street, went up the hill, went to the next street, went down, then the next street went up, and so forth, working my way across the neighborhood, and then back to the Y.  3.7 miles done, 5 uphills and 4 downhills.   It was pretty warm too, already 83 degrees at 5 a.m., dew-point in the 70s.  I was pretty drenched in sweat by the time I got back to the door of the Y.

After I showered and changed, I headed for work and....well, I just don't get why some runners do what they do.   Thank goodness when I am driving through neighborhoods I make it a point to keep an eye out for runners, walkers, and cyclists.  As I turn out of the Y parking lot, there are apartment complexes on my right-hand side.  Well, one lady runner came running out of the gate of a complex - running BACKWARDS and coming toward me.  So I stopped - I could not veer over and away from her on this narrow point of the road because of oncoming traffic in the other lane -  and, sure enough, she kinda 'veered' out of the pedestrian lane and came right toward me - I beeped at her to give her a  warning, but she just kept on coming - and she then whomped her butt and back smack into the right front end of my car.  Good thing I wasn't moving at the time! good lord, this could've been a lot worse and what if it hadn't been me, but someone else who was driving on that road at normal speed - 30 mph.  As it was, she jumped about a foot up with surprise after whacking into me and then, realizing she had 'drifted' into the road from the pedestrian lane, kept saying "I'm so sorry, I'm so sorry."   I told her no worries just glad she was okay, but, as a runner who runs this road a lot myself, it is NOT a good idea to run this road with your back to traffic, it is a very busy road at times, and not everyone pays attention to the runners and walkers.  She went her way - thankfully ok - and I went mine.  Good lord, I don't understand what gets into people's heads at times, running backwards to traffic and not even turning her head to look around, what's up with that?  Let's use some common sense and stay safe out there, people!

Well, today is my Thriday, as I am off tomorrow.  I wish I could say it was for vacation and I was just gonna chill and do what I want to do.  But it's not for vacation, it's time for my spinal injection again for my arthritis, fun stuff.  After the injection, I am to go home and just take it real easy until the medicine works into my system (about 12 hours or so).  I'm always a bit 'stiff' after the injection, so I stay home, stretch out on the floor and usually fall asleep and nap off-and-on while watching TV.  Pretty much nothing gets done on my injection days, lol.  But by the next day I know from past experience I will be feeling great.   Good thing too, since I have a 5K on Saturday morning.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Good luck with the plumber, Jerry!  If he makes too much noise digging, just shout out 'Pipe down, there!" 

Sorry about your fussy knees, HsM.  Maybe you can cook something up in your lab to help that.

PAD, today is Senior Citizens Day? Shouldn't I have the day off then?     Some Senior Citizen humor for you....

I can relate to this...I was once a long-haired hippy freak, lol...

Damaris at 90.....

Way to get your miles done early, Damaris.  Especially in that heat you have down there.  90s already at 7 in the morning, sheesh!  It's hot here too, but watching the Weather Channel this morning, your weather makes be glad I am in Texas, lol.

Lunges, bin?  Isn't that the places you hang out and drink beer? Oh wait..that's LOUNGES....never mind....

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt