Beginners and Beyond

KC Corporate Challenge 5K RR (Read 46 times)

RabbitChaser

What: KCCC 5K
    When: May 3, 2014 @ 7:30
    Where: Kansas City
    Goal: sub-21:00
    Finish: 21:46 (Suunto time) 21:28 official time

I've been dealing with back issues that have hindered my running. To try and counteract those issues, I used a tennis ball and rolled my lower back and deltoids. I also self-applied Rock Tape (kinesiology tape) to my lower back. I must say that it is difficult to apply the tape to your back by yourself. I arrived to the start of the race about an hour early and sat in the car for a bit listening to some tunes to get me pumped up. After a bit I went out for about a half mile warm-up, met up with some friends, and just relaxed until the start.

With about 15 minutes until the start, we headed to line up. Finally, people start moving forward in preparation of the first wave getting ready to start. The announcer counted down and we were off! Well, I thought we were. We had not crossed a timing mat and everyone was still basically walking. Since I didn't see a mat at the finish, I decided to start my watch.  I don't know how long it took, but I finally crossed a timing mat. It took about another 10 seconds or so before I started to be able to pick up the pace. It wasn't until about 1/4 into the first mile that I was able to start settling into my planned pace. My plan for the race was to try to hit mile 1 in 7:00, mile 2 in 6:45, and turn it on for the last 1.1 and hope for the best.

Mile 1 is starts out with a gradual incline for the first 3/4 of a mile or so, then increases to about a 3% grade. I ended up finishing Mile 1 in 6:45 according to my watch. Mile 2 continues with the 3% grade raise for the first half mile, then has a 1/4 mile descent followed by another quarter mile climb. My back started to give me issues and forced me to slow more than I had planned. I realized my pace was dropping, but I could not do anything to prevent the pace from slowing. I finished Mile 2 in 7:22. Mile 3 is basically downhill at a 3% grade until the 3/4 mile point, then it starts to level out. I tried to push the pace, but didn't feel like I could push the pace like I wanted to. I tried, but had to slow every now and then when the back flared up. It was all I could do to prevent from stopping to walk. I finished Mile 3 in 6:38. According to my watch, I finished the last .18 miles with an avg. 5:33 pace. I did all I could, but still fell short of my goal. I am still pleased that I didn't walk and that I performed better than I did during the Trolley Run last weekend. 

Once again I took advantage of the free ART and finally came away with the cause of my back pain. For some reason, my right calf is having issues and causing my glute not to fire. This in turn is causing my back to work much harder than it should, hence the back pain. I was told to roll the calf with a foam roller or tennis ball for 1.5-2 minutes before every run. I'm hoping that this will start improving my back. So event though I didn't have the race I wanted, at least I came away with a faster time than last year and a plan to start solving the back issue.  All in all, I'll take that as a pretty good day.

Eric

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

I ran a 10k with an uphill right at the start and like your race, a downhill finish. You took advantage of that and were flying at the finish. Once you get your back right I bet you will be sub 20. Nice!

LRB

Congrats on the race!  I don't know how in the hell you managed those splits with a busted up back and running up and down a hill so kudos for that!  Have you considered taking time off while working on flexibility?

Sounds like you are tight all the way up and down your backside, I was as well and it caused me major grief until I got serious with stretching.  The tennis ball may help but stretching as a lifestyle will show great improvement long term over the weeks and months.

Nice race, Rabbit.  Glad you got some feed"back" on the problem and a possible solution.

RabbitChaser

Jack - Thanks! That is one of my goals.

Rich - Thanks! I do believe you're right. It was running 21 miles in a foot of snow with a tight back that caused the current issues. During that race I thought it was tight hamstrings causing the issues, but when friends tried to stretch out my hamstrings at mile 13, my back started to cramp. That race made me realize that I definitely need to work on my flexibility. I can run without pain, I just can't run fast without the back flaring up.

Jay - Thanks!

Eric

happylily

Well done! That's a great finish time, even if not the goal you wanted. You are so close!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Sorry you did not get your sub-21 but, dang..you are still speedy!  Way to go!

I feel for you on the back issues, this is why I can't run nonstop anymore.   Glad you found out what your specific problem is and hopefully can get it resolved.  I bet you will get that sub-21 very shortly afterwards.

Congrats on your race!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

RabbitChaser

lily - Thanks!

Scotty - Thanks! Back problems are no fun, but I'm hoping this one is nearing it's end.

Docket_Rocket

Sorry about the back issues but great job!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

hog4life

Eric, that is a really good time to have back issues. Hopefully you can start to get some relief.