Beginners and Beyond

Rita Jeptoo Failed the Drug Test? (Read 123 times)

Docket_Rocket

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

delicate flower

This would be very disappointing if true.  

<3

bluerun

Super B****

Well, damn.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Disappointing but not shocking at all.

I'm more surprised that the drug test apparently took place in Kenya. They haven't been exactly at the forefront of testing in that country. They were going to break ground last January on the first testing center.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/athletics/10413943/Kenya-under-fire-from-Wada-after-alarming-increase-in-number-of-athletes-testing-positive-for-drugs.html

http://www.runnersworld.com/general-interest/kenya-will-begin-building-drug-testing-center-in-january

An excerpt from this article in February of this year:

http://athleticsillustrated.com/editorial/third-world-doping-cheats-are-testing-positive-what-has-changed/

Until recently, out-of-competition drug testing was not conducted in Kenya because of the isolation. To test for EPO by taking urine samples the window of opportunity is very small, the testers have to take the sample within days of an athlete using it, but a blood test can be kept for much longer. HGH is detectable only in a blood test, as is the evidence of illegal blood transfusions, also known as blood doping.

Wada said in a statement: “The reality is that the anti-doping organisations that do conduct testing in Kenya – including the IAAF and Wada’s Regional Anti-Doping Organisation Africa Zone V – only test for urine. The IAAF chooses to take blood samples from Kenyan athletes when they are either competing or training abroad.’’

Matthew Kisorio tested positive in 2012 and at that time he told the press that doping in Kenya was rampant; thereby breaking rank and subsequently causing all hell to break loose. The authorities were slow to act on Kisorio’s accusations, and now Kenya’s athletic credibility is being called into question as the country struggles to set up an internationally recognised drug testing centre.

B-Plus

Lol

RSX

I think that it's shocking and wonder why she wasn't caught here or Chicago. She broke the course record here with 2:18:57 so I guess it sticks since they didn't catch her.

Love the Half

I have long asserted that the East Africans may dominate distance running due to both genetics and desire but the idea there's no doping going on, especially in countries that lack robust testing programs, is fantasy.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

delicate flower

<3

What happens to the prize money and is the runner-up belatedly proclaim the winner if the B test holds true for Jeptoo?

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

bluerun

Super B****

What happens to the prize money and is the runner-up belatedly proclaim the winner if the B test holds true for Jeptoo?

I believe it needs to be repaid.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

LRB

She was about to get 500 large, I didn't know the cheddar was that heavy in running.

Toronto

Seven Deadly Shins

sad but not entirely a surprise

catwhoorg

Labrat

I think that it's shocking and wonder why she wasn't caught here or Chicago. She broke the course record here with 2:18:57 so I guess it sticks since they didn't catch her.

You cycle EPO before a one day event like that so it is cleared from your system in a in competition test.

(Three week grand tours are of course a different kettle of fish).

she isn't the first cheat, and won't be the last.

I would be very interesting in seeing if the mens WR march slows for a bit due to this increased scrutiny.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

One of my favorite videos......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BbPopNgz7M

Randy

catwhoorg

Labrat

Thirty six Kenyans have failed drug tests in the last two years

(source)

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/athletics/29855763

That's just the tip of the iceberg

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18