Beginners and Beyond

Cinco de Mayo Monday Penguins (Read 24 times)

obiebyke

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

obiebyke

Good morning, pengs! W6D1 of C25K on tap for me tonight. Then I have to take one of my cats in to stay overnight to have oral surgery tomorrow. Poor buddy. Sad I'm giving him extra cuddles this morning.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Pilates and 5 recovery miles for me tonight.

Poor kitty!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

hog4life

NOBO class tonight, hopefully 6-8 by the time I'm done.

Philliefan33

Good morning obie and DR.

Tonight I'll do either a few recovery miles or cycle, and I have some yard work to finish.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

6 miles with 5x600 @ 5k pace for me.

Have a nice day.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

5 miles planned for later today.  I did my long run (11 miles) on Friday and felt pretty good afterwards and on Saturday but was in a world of pain yesterday.  I am not sure if running related or not but my herniated disk is acting up.  I need to get it in check by my HM on the 17th.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  DH is coming to my office this afternoon to check out a flaky computer, and afterwards we're heading to the Cheesecake Factory for dinner.  We have a gift card, but we've never been there because the wait is always so ridiculous.  So we're hoping that going fairly early on a Monday will make for a shorter wait time.  Hope so, anyway!  This weekend I got my corn planted, fixed a non-draining tomato pot (well, that was mostly DH.  I offered support.), and planted a few strawberry sticks.  I think I'm going to have to order new strawberry plants, I think the ones I have are completely dead.  

obie -- best of luck to your kitty!!  Our Kaycee isn't eating well, we're wondering if she has tooth issues.

Docket -- have a good Pilates and 5!!

hog -- have a good NOBO class!!

Phillie -- have a good time, whichever you do!!

Jack -- enjoy the speedwork!!

sapf -- sorry to hear about your back issues!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

hog4life

Hope, the Cheesecake Factory is worth the wait!

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I get to see my boss for the second time this year today.We will be at a conference this week.  That will throw my running for a loop, but I'll get it done.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

GinnyinPA

Happy Cinco de Mayo to all.

Obie - poor kitty.  I hope all goes well with the surgery.

Damaris - have a good recovery run.

Mitch - enjoy class tonight.  How many people are taking it?

Margo - yard work counts as cross training too.

Jack - nice intervals.

sapf - it's so easy to screw up a back.  I seem to manage just by stretching just a little too far.  I hope it gets better soon.  Do you have a chiropractor or massage therapist to help?

HM - the only time I was supposed to eat at  Cheesecake factory, the wait was so long we gave up.  I hope you enjoy it.  The food is supposed to be pretty good - and very filling.

Awood - hope the conference is interesting and that you get time to run.

AFM:  rest day, though we will either mow the lawn or go for a short hike shortly.

SheCan

Morning everyone, and happy Cinco De Mayo!

As I was getting dressed this morning my daughter comes in and tells me that I need to go with her to drop her car off at the shop and do a few errands.  So by the time we get back its after 9.  I sweat through just over 3 miles in full sun, come in and check the temp, and it's 85*.  Ugh, I'm not ready for summer!  Hope the rest of you are staying cool!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Busy Monday as my co-worker is out from work yet again.  I like her but this absence stuff is getting old.  Oh well.

Did 2 nice 5Ks over the weekend, one on Saturday and one on Sunday.   Lots of doggie pics for the one on Sunday.

https://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/Post/62e10a3031ab4b2d998865dac544986d#focus

https://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/Post/1b73301a0ecc46c0b93d3edc03533937#focus

Non-running day today. Plan on doing a weight training circuit after work if I don't get lazy and just decide to go home instead.

Cinco de Mayo is a big deal around here, lots of local businesses are closed and some people have the day off.

Wishing your cat well, obiebyke!  Good luck with your running plan progress!

Pilates first or miles first, Damaris?  Good luck!

Good luck with the class and the miles, Mitch.

Ugg, yard work.  Did mine after my race yesterday, Phillie, so don't have to worry about it for a while.  Hate doing yard work, I should have moved into a condo, lol.   Good luck with you workout, whichever you decide to do.

Jack, I saw on TWC y'all are now getting about as hot as we are here in San Antonio - will be 94 here for us today - so good luck with your miles in that!

Congrats on your long run, sapf.  Sorry about the disc, though, that sucks.  I feel for you..I have spinal arthritis and back problems (herniated disc, bulging disc, etc) at 5 levels in my spine, yuk.

If I ever get a gift card for cheesecake I know who to send it to now, HsM...you can have mine, I don't like cheesecake.    Wow, strawberry sticks will grow if you plant them in the ground?

Strawberry Candy Sticks

Who knew?  I'm gonna go get some today and stick 'em in the ground!  

Happy conferencing with your boss, Awood, I can tell you are so looking forward to it.

85 is not so bad, Cherie, if that is gonna be your high for the day.    But it's only May, these are unusually high temps for both of us this time of year, I DREAD to see what the highs are going to end up being for our actual summer, OMG!

Mowing the lawn and hiking does not sound like a rest day to me, Ginny.  Enjoy your hike if you go.  Try and talk someone else into mowing your lawn for you.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

SheCan

"85 is not so bad, Cherie, if that is gonna be your high for the day.    But it's only May, these are unusually high temps for both of us this time of year, I DREAD to see what the highs are going to end up being for our actual summer, OMG!"

LOL, Scotty, noooooo 85* won't be the high!  It was just the temp when I finished running this morning.  Yesterday it got up to 96*.  Yeah, mid summer is just hard for us runners.  We all need to get away to visit our northern neighbors.  Enjoy your non-running/weight training day!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Singer who runs a smidge

Just bought plane tickets so that DH and I can go see his folks for his birthday in July.  Holy smokes, plane tickets have skyrocketed in the past year or so!!  Over $700 per person! 

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.