Beginners and Beyond

Burning fat for fuel instead of sugar (Read 108 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

http://www.nomeatathlete.com/burning-fat-for-fuel/

Thoughts?

And the link to Stu Mittleman: http://www.nomeatathlete.com/stu-mittleman/

Anybody heard of him?

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

happylily

I think I need more meat on and in me, Not less. Big grin

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Docket_Rocket

Most ultra runners take that approach.  Instead of more sugar, they concentrate on fats, meats, and lower carbs than we do for marathons.  Or at least, the ultra runners in my running group do (all of them).

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Lol, well hell from just what I am reading if they are right I am already off to a great start Smile All of my runs begin with an empty stomach, even my long runs. The only time I eat even a little something is before a race.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

OK for long distance and ultras, not at all OK for sprinters or middle distance runners... well, actually, maybe not even half- and full-marathoners either.  Basically, endurance athletes may perform better in ketosis (though they can still bonk, fyi) but if you're doing anything anaerobic, no. Not a chance.  As the article itself points out, this methodology works ONLY below lactate threshold--which for the people who are on the faster end of the spectrum excludes even half marathons and (for the really fast) marathons. So if you want to be fast or competitive, eat carbs.

http://anthonycolpo.com/why-low-carb-diets-are-terrible-for-athletes-part-2/

I suppose if you just want to run 100+ slow miles a week, you could get by using this method, but it baffles me why anyone would want to.

PRs: 5k 19:25, mile 5:38, HM 1:30:56

Lifting PRs: bench press 125lb, back squat 205 lb, deadlift 245lb

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Eh, I just want to get rid of some fat on me though I know when I increase my weekly mileage from 30 to 40 by the end of next year I should be successful at losing a few more lbs. Also, I like my body being able to go 10-13 miles a good pace without any food before or during, and some water before the run. Right now my average pace for long runs are between 9:30 - 10:20 min/mile and I am good with that for now. Before a half marathon race I do consume either a cliff bar or a pumpkin spice english muffin with peanut butter and either honey or Full Circle Cherry Fruit Spread.

My long term goal (before I am 30) is to be running trail ultras, 50ks, 100ks and 100 milers so I will definitely keep this in mind.

PRs

catwhoorg

Labrat

Sat here typing this I am using almost exclusively fatty acids/triglycerides as an energy source.

The Brain and red blood cells being the major exceptions.

Doing some low intensity aerobic exercise (walking), the same pretty much holds true I may dip a little into muscle glycogen.

Up the intensity and then the muscle glycogen becomes a significant source of energy.

Plasma glucose always remains fairly small, though it does track upwards slightly with intensity. In the grand scheme of things, its a fairly small compartment compared to the fat stores and the muscle glycogen.

Edit to address FS last comment.

Want to lose a few pounds, up the distance or intensity whilst keeping food intake the same.

Calories in versus calories out covers what you need to do.

Over time for fat loss, you are better off burning glycogen with high intensity and more calories expended overall, than trying to preferentially burn fat.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Chasing the bus

Hmmm....sounds a lot like Maffetone.

I can and have run 14 miles before breakfast. I'm hungry when done, but not dying. Best part about winter long runs before breakfast is a long lumberjack breakfast after!

John

“You're either on the bus or off the bus.”
                  Tom Wolfe, The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test

meaghansketch

I've done some of this (fasted long runs in particular, though I don't do all my long runs fasted).  The important thing to keep in mind is that this isn't a method to lose weight/fat.  Your body is going to use something when it runs (either fat or carbs) and replace much of it the next time you eat.

Currently I'm doing a 5-day 'fat load' in preparation for an upcoming marathon.  There is a little research (though not much) that a short fat-loading period (65%+ of your calories coming from fat) can increase the percentage of fat you burn during a race and make it less likely that you'll hit the wall.  Following that with a traditional 1-3 day carb loading period can maximize your glycogen stores, so that you're both reducing the amount of carbs you're burning per mile and increasing the amount of carbs you have stored-- together these should minimize your chances of bonking/hitting the wall.

(This is from Fitzgerald's "New Rules for Marathon and  Half-Marathon Nutrition", FYI)

I've never done this before leading up to a marathon, though I did a reduced version (3 days fat load/1 day carb load) before the HM I PRed this season.  (That probably was too short a race for a real test, it was really just to see if my digestive system would handle it OK).

Stay tuned for results?

LRB

Eh, I just want to get rid of some fat on me though I know when I increase my weekly mileage from 30 to 40 by the end of next year I should be successful at losing a few more lbs.

Run faster.

Adding just one day of speed intervals within a week will do wonders for your waistline, and your ability.  Something as simple as this:

2 miles easy

8 X 200 meters at 1 mile pace with 400 meter recoveries

2 miles easy

or

2 miles easy

2 miles at 10k pace

2 miles easy

or

2 miles easy

5 X 1000 meters at 5k pace with 400 meter recoveries

2 miles easy

Those are very basic workouts and the possibilities/variations are endless, but after just 12 weeks you should see a stark difference in the mirror provided you remain disciplined not only at the dinner table, but throughout the day as well.  That is the key.

there is also a site called 30 bananas a day. some of the info there is good.

a "Fruitarian" won the vermont 100 miler a couple of years ago. I have also heard the story of a frutarian that ran bad water and the vermont 100 within 6 days.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Dad on the run.

T-ROD!! How have you been man?!?!

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

T-ROD!! How have you been man?!?!

pretty good- just super busy.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Yes, I've heard of Stu Mittleman. The no meat athlete site sounds likely proselytizing and short on facts if not actually misleading and false.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I didn't read his link......... no meat? Screw that! I'll just stick to what I do now and what I have planned next year, if I start feeling drained as my long runs increase then I'll experiment with gels and whatever else. I think my issue with losing the last 3-5 lbs is that it doesn't want to go away Sad and of course the holidays are coming up which means food, lots of really tasty food.

Here is my training plan for 2014 (subject to change as needed of course):

http://www.runningahead.com/logs/6d1d5cb5e27e4230a9d79029229a9ba6/plans/5d7d280833f74183b503a2b43aee8e61

PRs