Beginners and Beyond

do you go out of your way to avoid traffic? (Read 126 times)

When running?

When driving?

Yes to both for me -- My home running routes all require a little less than a half mile to get off my street, which is the main drag to civilization without going up or down monster hills.  Once I'm onto the side roads though, there might only be 1-2 cars per mile, sometimes even less.

My park routes are all low traffic, and even down in the 'burbs I generally avoid major intersections and busy roads.

As for driving, I will take weirdly circuitous routes when going into the city just to avoid the little bottlenecks that crop up, even though Buffalo's highways are built for a much larger population than we currently have.  There are two major arteries bisecting downtown with timed traffic lights and several lanes, and  very few drivers utilize them.  It's like having a wormhole right through the city during rush hour.

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

Yes - I really don't like to dodge a lot of cars while running. It's dangerous.

And while driving, I definitely hate traffic. Nobody knows how to drive but me (yes, admit it, we all say that) and most traffic serves only to delay my journey. When I get behind the wheel, the goal is to get to the destination in the shortest time possible. If I didn't care how long the trip would take, I'd walk!

So yeah, traffic sucks regardless of your mode of transportation.

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

Docket_Rocket

I cannot evade traffic here since traffic here is bad (the only time I would see 1-2 cars per mile is at 5am), but I try to run either on sidewalks or the streets with less traffic.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

meaghansketch

Typically, yes.  I do much of my running in a park where cars are prohibited much of the time.  When I run on city streets, traffic is unavoidable, but I run on sidewalks and will go out of my way to avoid the most dangerous intersections.  There are a couple routes I do that are more traffic-heavy, but I save those for weekend longer runs because I (eventually!) get bored of running in circles around my park.

As for driving, well, I don't do that at all.

LRB

Being the attention 'ho that I am, I actually prefer running along with traffic, and the more cars the merrier.  Not running with music, running during the morning rush is something that keeps the boredom level down.

As far as driving, I avoid logjams with every fiber of my being!  Luckily for me, there are million ways to get to any one location in Southeast Michigan, so sitting in a slow moving "parking lot" can be avoided if you know how to get around.  I do.

I have a love-hate relationship with traffic as a runner.  I run first thing in the morning and it is dark most of the year.  From a standpoint of safety from random bad guys, I prefer to run along a busier road with a lot of activity.  But that means more run-ins with inattentive drivers.  I know my routes well and try to stick to one side of the road and avoid crossing the roads as much as possible.

Driving, I take the easiest route typically, even if it means traffic.

B-Plus

For running, I don't need to go out of my way, but there is no vehicle traffic on my routes. Sometimes I have to go through 1 or 2 crosswalks, but otherwise I'm on a pedestrian pathway.

You Rang?

As a runner, yes, i work very hard to avoid traffic.  I live in the suburban jungle of Southern California.  My normal run route only involves two traffic lights.  These light are normally green, so I keep on running.

As a driver, traffic is  simply unavoidable.

Rick 

PR: 5k 25:01 (10/15) 10k: 57:44 (7/14) HM: 1:57 (5/15) FM: 4:55 (1/15)

Ric-G

I run early enough or in a neighborhood and occasionally on trails that traffic isn't a big deal. I will venture further out and cross a few major streets with traffic lights about once a week. I don't think I could hack running with traffic up the ying yang mostly because drivers are mostly clueless when it comes to runners. I can almost always anticipate what is going to happen. and no matter what I know I won't win a contest with a car, so Im always ready to jump to the sidewalk or hang back if necessary...dumb drivers...

marathon pr - 3:16

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Definitely,.  Always check the traffic map before getting on the expressway.  Spent way too much time in rush hour traffic jams when I worked in my real job.   Now I'll take a slower, smaller street with no bottlenecks and I don't mind going a little out of the way to do it.

music_girl117

For running, I wouldn't say I go out of my way, but I do try to avoid rush hour.  For driving, I pick the way with the fewest left turns.  Really.  I used to be a delivery driver and making only right turns is far more effective than speeding to get somewhere quickly.

PRs:

5k - 22:53  (May 2015)

10k - 50:00 (unofficial; part of 20k race, March 2015); 50:33 (official; July 2016)

HM - 1:48:40  (Apr. 2015)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Only if my ex-wife is driving...

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

SusanRachel

I definitely go out of my way while running and sometimes while driving.  I judge traffic to be the biggest danger to my life while running, so less of it means a safer me.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I definitely go out of my way while running and sometimes while driving.  I judge traffic to be the biggest danger to my life while running, so less of it means a safer me.

Well, you're in the Army...so I'd get out of the way too, with a tank coming!  Joking

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Well, you're in the Army...so I'd get out of the way too, with a tank coming!  Joking