Beginners and Beyond

Worlds Shortest Marathon (Pics & Stats Added) (Read 85 times)

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

I kid you not.  While investigating things to do during our son's lacrosse tournament in Stowe VT this July, I ran across this gem.

http://www.gostowe.com/thingstodo/seasonal-activities/summer/july4

The Stowe "World's Shortest Marathon"
    Join the 1.7 mile Fun Run. Starting at the intersection of Routes 100 & 108. Open to all comers!

Its part of their 4th of July celebration.  Only 6 weeks to train, and the love the entrance fee..... its FREE !!!!

The heck with a 5k marathon, this looks even funner.  Water stops, chip timing, lots of crowd support..... its a winner.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

So we have FULL, HALF, lately QUARTER.......is this something like a 5/64 marathon??  

Randy

outoftheblue

Excellent.  I could use a new PR.

Life is good.

Hip Redux

Are there medals?  I won't do it without a medal.

How many Gu stations?

MTA: never mind, I'll just wear my fuel belt.

Dave

Love the Half

Ya know, I might buy the hokiness if it was something like 2.62 miles but 1.7?  Where did that distance come from?

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Docket_Rocket

Let me rephrase that.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Little Blue

Ya know, I might buy the hokiness if it was something like 2.62 miles but 1.7?  Where did that distance come from?

The distance between the town's two stoplights?

Docket_Rocket

The distance between the town's two stoplights?

That is one hell of a long block.  I have stoplights every 0.25-0.50!  Makes running and not stopping somewhat hard.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

The 2.62 marathon was probably already taken, and they wanted TO BE THE SHORTEST MARATHON!!!11

Plus, 1.7 is such a nice round number.

catwhoorg

Labrat

So shoot for 1.31, make it an easy multiple.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

There is a kids marathon around here, if I recall the format is:

Cumulative 25 miles logged and recorded between X day and Y day then a final Race of 1.2 miles with all the participants.

I don't know the particulars but...

LRB

"Open to all comers!"

All comers 'eh?  I would probably get arrested for actually racing it.

daisymae25

Squidward Bike Rider

What in the bloody heck???

Love the Half

There is a kids marathon around here, if I recall the format is:

Cumulative 25 miles logged and recorded between X day and Y day then a final Race of 1.2 miles with all the participants.

I don't know the particulars but...

And yeah, I'll buy that for kids.  I still have no idea where in the hell 1.7 miles comes from.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).