Beginners and Beyond

Thursday Penguins Are Running By The Numbers (Read 28 times)

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning, Gustav!

I was super sore yesterday, so my 4 miler went blah and my kickboxing went worse.  Feel better today, so a run with hubby and a strength kickboxing workout tonight.

Damaris

Mmmmm...beer

Good morning everyone!

Hiya Gustav & Damaris. Smile

Recovery run later today after yesterday's 12 mile trail run.

Hope everyone has a great day!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good Morning Penguins!

Do you ever see a time on the clock and say to yourself "that's my race pace" , or see an exit sign that says "exit 8 miles ahead" and say to yourself "hey I'm running 8 miles tonight!" , or see a used car for $8820 and say to yourself " that's how many times my heart will beat if I run for an hour"? I do!

I did get a 90 minute run in the other day and yesterday I ran 8 miles. Been running in the dark and I stepped in to a low spot when I was turning - some slight tweakage resulted but I will survive.

Phillie - just wanted to say that your calf looked painfully tight in your race photo. Do you have any residual soreness?

Jack - the 90 minutes was part of a test for me. I posted a question offer in the general section - but the test was for something else.

Zelanie - 400's at tempo pace? What was that targeting?

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Philliefan33

Good morning!

Gus -- My legs were extra sore Sunday (the day after the race), but I went out for a real slow 3 miles and that helped loosed things up.  I swam and cycled on Mon/Tue, then when I ran last night everything seems back to normal.

DR - Enjoy the run later.  How hot is it?  It was only about 42º for my run last night, which is nice as long as there is no wind.

Dave - BAMF indeed.  12 miles on trails with 3 wipeouts is tough.

5-6 miles after work today.  At whatever pace feels good.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

'Morning Gus, DR, Dave, Margo and pengs and Happy Thriday.  Run after work weather dependent again.  Hope to get a LR this weekend.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

5 PM after work yesterday went to Fort Sam Houston and did a very easy 3.2 miles along my "Dog Alley" route, handing out treats to my many 4-legged friends along that route.  It sure was HUMID too.  74 degrees, dewpoint also in the 70s, and humidity of nearly 100% as rain was threatening.  Sweat, sweat, sweat!   12 hours later, at 5 a.m., I was up this morning and off to one of the local YMCAs.  Figured to get an easy 3 in, but I felt so good this morning that I kept going and did an extra mile.  This YMCA is within the boundaries of O.P. Schnabel Park, a local park with both paved and unpaved trails.  Since it was dark when I started out, I ran in the neighborhood adjacent to the park - well-lit and wide streets, very quiet area, hardly any traffic,  very nice for a morning run - and then it was back into the park to loop back to the Y on the paved and unpaved trails.  At mile 3 I got knocked right on my keister when a deer jumped out of the brush and across the trail right in front of me, making me back-pedal quickly.  Dang deer, I SWEAR they lie in wait for me!  About the umpteenth time I've been knocked down by them in the 19 years I've been running in the local parks.  Well, no harm done, I have PLENTY of practice falling down and am pretty good at it now. Joking  Got up, dusted myself off, and the last mile was uneventful and my quickest mile too, as I ran that full mile back to the Y with no walk break.  Felt really good when I was done, like I could have gone even farther.  Nice feeling!  I guess my old bones still got a little left in them, even after 30 years of running.  Big grin  I was DRENCHED though, as it is still humid - again 100% this morning - as San Antonio is supposed to get some MAJOR rain/thunderstorms this afternoon, one reason I got up and did a morning run today, instead of after work.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

SRD for me. I will NOT mess up this taper. Two more days of work, one XC meet with DD and then we are off to Zion for five days.Smile.

See ya.

on my way to badass

Morning Penguins! I took yesterday off. Did my 4 miles this morning. It was 20 degrees when I started but no wind, so it was ok. Later I am going to clean the carpets. I think that counts as cross training.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

Zelanie

Morning!  I am going to see if anybody at the social run wants to run a tad short tonight.  Hoping for 4, 5 would be OK.

D- Are you on a kickboxing streak?

D2- Enjoy the recovery run. Smile

Gustav- I was just targeting getting a feel for that pace.

Margo- Glad to see that you've recovered well!  Did you end up finding a 10K to target?

Jerry- Might be Thriday to you, we've got conferences coming up and they start Friday after work.  Boo!

Scotty- Another deer attack!  They must wait for you!

Jack- How long does XC season last?  Seems like they've been done here for a couple of weeks already.

StoneFence- Call it "recovery" XT.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Zel: CIF Finals. If they qualify, which will be very tough, on to state finals!

Bin Running

Gustav, Morning. Can't say I have those numbers doing things to me yet.. I am not a full-fledged runner yet.. Smile

Damaris, hope the sore is better today.

Dave, Enjoy the RD..

Margo, Enjoy those 5-6.. Remembered you signed up for a HM, right?

Jerry, Happy Thriday.. Thriday for me too.. and off on Monday to go with that.

Scotty, you always get interesting run.. haa..

Jack, Enjoy the SRD.. How's the taper so far? Feeling strong?

Stonefence, 20F or 20C? All houseworks counts as X-training.

Mel, hope you found some company for the run.

8M or so done in the morning.. Right Achilles Tendon still felt weird.. So, don't even dream to pick up to MP for some miles. I realised the my inside ankle is a little painful if i press it.. Also a little sign of right leg posterior shin splints... My last SS was on my left and so far only my left leg is giving me problem.. (my left ankle can produce cracking sound on demand when i rotate it in a particular way).. Finger crossed and praying to running god now..

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Bin: 4 tomorrow, 10 Saturday, and 16 Sunday. The big taper kicks in next week. A bit of bad news is I think I have some PF in my left foot but I can run through it. I will probably get it checked after the race.

Singer who runs a smidge

Hi Penguins.  I've been sick and it's been unpretty.  No normal symptoms, but a fever, incredibly painful swollen lymph nodes, and hives all over my body.  Missed six days of work, and I'm not sure I should be here today -- I'm really tired just getting out of bed in the mornings.

Anyway, hoping to hear back from the doc sometime today or tomorrow as to which virus I have, since they say I'm not really fitting the normal symptoms of anything.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Bin Running

Jack, oh no.. PF is stubbornly difficult to heal.. Hope it's nothing major.. We are on pur last lap.. Nothing is gonna stop us.. haa Awood is waiting for us to complete this.

Hopesmom, hope you get to the bottom of this sickness..

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar