Beginners and Beyond

Tuesday Penguin Can't think of any good title (Read 24 times)

Bin Running

ExpandThe "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Bin Running

Hi all.. Haven't started a thread for a while..

8M easy done in the morning.. Still a little sore from Sunday race. 10K with more hills than I normally ran.. Don't think I am up for a  full RR though.. sorry

Ran the same race last year.. It's an interesting run with the ending point in the prison compond.. Yellow ribbon run... Giving ex-convict a 2nd chance.

Feeling a little unprepared for my Dec FM..

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

PADRunner

Morning Bin, group run for me tonight.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

That big "plus" by the Penguin to star the thread always reminds me of this joke:

"What's good about living in Switzerland?"     A:  I'm not sure....but the flag is a big plus...

Texas 'Fashion Folks"

Texas Longhorns Wordmark Ugly Sweater

Golf Texas...

Today's temp will only be in the high 80s here - about 88 or so - so I plan to get a nice run/walk in after work, about 3 - 4 miles, with maybe some hills thrown in.  There is a chance of some showers this afternoon too, so I might even get rained on, which would be quite refreshing.  With this darn Texas drought, long time since I've done a rain run.  Hopefully, there will be no lightning.

C'mon, Bin, you've got a race report in you there, let it out!  Sounds like an interesting run..finishing by a prison....sheesh!  One thing I learned about Asian jails when I lived in Asia...you definitely don't want to be in there!  Not that I've had any personal experience of an Asian jail....     As for a title for when you start the thread...well, it's obvious isn't it?  "BIN There, Done That!"  

Happy group run tonite, PAD.  The BEST way to do group therapy. 

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good morning (evening) Bin, PAD, and Scotty and Pengs.

Hope the soreness goes away Bin.

Enjoy the group run, PAD.

Watch out for lightning Scott.

My "group" run will be 5 miles.

Have a great day.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have 7 miles tonight.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

LRB

'Sup Pens!

Even no title is a good title!  

Zelanie

Hey pens!  The wind blew a lot of forest fire smoke into town yesterday afternoon, and by the time the smoke cleared, my motivation was gone.  I will have to run Monday's miles on Wednesday.  Tonight I have a late event at work, then have 11 miles with 4 x 1.5 intervals, so it will be a late night.  Luckily, as Ginny pointed out, the miles are slower than tempo pace.  Slower than HM pace, even, so they really shouldn't be too bad.

Bin, it looks like you had an awesome July and August.  You will be ready for Dec!

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

I ran 30 minutes last night and it was ok. My piriformis acted up not during the run but after. I just need to keep doing the rolling and I suppose a deep tissue massage might be good. At least my legs feel better. The time off did me some good.

Scotty: Nice pics and I like the Swiss joke.

Bin: What plan are you using for the marathon?

PAD and Jerry: Have fun with the group run.

D: Good luck with the heat and 7.

GinnyinPA

Bin - will your marathon also be hilly?  You have plenty of time to prepare for it.  I'm sure you'll do well.

Scotty - funny pix.  Hope your hilly  run goes well. When it's hot, a little rain can feel good.  A gully washer, not so much.

PAD - have fun at your group run.  Is it a track run or out on the streets?  I wish our groups did runs in the evening instead of early early in the a.m.

Jerry - is your group, you and your wife?  Have a good run.

Damaris - hope your run is cooler this evening.

Hi LRB

Z - good luck with your intervals this evening.  I hope they get control of the fires soon.  Smart not to run in the smoke.  That can really do a number on your lungs.  In winter, I always hate weekend runs in the neighborhood because so many people have fires, either in the house or burning leaves.  Makes it very hard to breathe.

Jack - since the pain is deep, massage would be a good idea.  That and the hard ball that can go deeper into the muscles than the foam roller.  Good luck with it.  Did you enjoy the run last night after so long resting?

AFM:  Cloudy and cool here.  I'm hoping to do 9 or 10 miles later, if my stomach ache goes away.

PADRunner

PAD - have fun at your group run.  Is it a track run or out on the streets?  I wish our groups did runs in the evening instead of early early in the a.m.

It's mostly in a park on a gravel 1k loop but sometimes we run on the street.

Bin Running

Jack, not much of a plan. Very loosely following pfitz.

Ginny, not too hilly but there's a killer bridge at mile 23 or so.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

From the Internet.

Hahaha Scotty I've heard that joke about the Swiss flag several times but it never gets old for me Smile

Boss is out of the country for the next 2 weeks so I'm trying to get shit done while he's away - always easier to get results without being constantly asked for updates, haha. Single parent until Thursday night since my husband is away for his company's annual  retreat, so I'll get today's run done in a little bit - planning to run the infamous-in-my-club snake workout since I haven't done many hills lately:

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Yes Ginny, DW and I are the group.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Hey pens!  The wind blew a lot of forest fire smoke into town yesterday afternoon, and by the time the smoke cleared, my motivation was gone.  I will have to run Monday's miles on Wednesday.  Tonight I have a late event at work, then have 11 miles with 4 x 1.5 intervals, so it will be a late night.  Luckily, as Ginny pointed out, the miles are slower than tempo pace.  Slower than HM pace, even, so they really shouldn't be too bad.

Bin, it looks like you had an awesome July and August.  You will be ready for Dec!

One of the news channels showed that ongoing fire in Oregon, which is still pretty much out of control.  Very scary, Zelanie, stay safe!   The fire investigators suspect the fire started when some 'target shooters' were out shooting in the forest...and set the whole place ablaze, jeez!  If true, maybe somebody should use them for target practice....

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt