Beginners and Beyond

Thursday Penguins - It's Great To Be Alive! (Read 27 times)

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Seven years ago today my wife crossed over while in the hospital, but she was brought back to have a second chance at life. It's hard to explain the spiritual side of this unless it happens to you or the person is your very own soul mate. I thank God she's still here - it's great to have her around!

As for me - maybe 4 as I taper a bit for Saturdays race .

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Now that is an Anniversary to celebrate, Gus.

Short run for me and DW after work. Then another 3 day weekend.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  10 miles with the last 5 from MP to HMP done.

Gustav, I am glad your wife survived such a thing.

Jerry, enjoy the short run.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Bin Running

Gustav, it's a good day to remember. Sing her something romantic later.

Jerry, enjoy the short run later.

Damaris, one hell of an workout. Are you still having that personal coach?

9M @ easy just now. Light drizzle cool me quite a bit. Going to mum's for home-cooked food.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Bin Running

Oh ya. I am finally within 1M from my bunny.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Philliefan33

Good morning Penguins.

Gustave --lucky for you both to get that second chance.

Jerry -- short runs and 3-day weekends are fun

DR -- Good way to start the day.  I hope you get some lower DP's soon.  I was wondering the other day -- is your hubby still running?

AFM -- 8 easy miles last night.  Tonight will be a hill workout.

My company is moving the entire lab to a new location (about 800 people total).  My section will report to the new place on December 9th, and we are finding out now that our last day to work in the lab here is October 25th. ( The interim time will be discarding chemicals, packing, decontaminating, etc.)  So of course now my boss is trying to fit as much work as possible into the last month -- as if everything is a crisis.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

Gus: Smile

Jerry: stop bragging!

Docket: nice progression

Bin: we had our first rain last night, but well after my run.

PF: what kind of work do you do? Have fun on the hills.

As for me, I did 12 easy last night and today is supposed to be a SRD but tomorrow is so busy that I am thinking of running today and "resting" tomorrow. If I run it will be 10 w 6@7:45.

Have fun.

Docket_Rocket

Bin, yes, I still have my coach.

Margo, yes.  We are doing 3.5-4 miles tonight.

Jack, enjoy whichever you decide.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

PADRunner

Morning all.

Happy Anniversary Gustav1.

10x400 this morning. Not sure if what I'm doing is ok or not. They are supposed to be at 5k pace (10:30) but I can run them I run them much faster around 8:30 and 30 sec walk between.

Bin Running

Margo, looks like a bz time for you. But just in time before Xmas.

Jack, moving ard is good. I'm guilty of that often.

Jimmy, you asked abt the full yday.  Well, I would think 22 weeks shld be enough to get you to the finish line. But we will be behind you anyway.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Dad on the run.

Hello everyone, perhaps I'm doomed for failure? Perhaps the mere mention of anything longer than 6.2 miles throws my body into a fit of outrage and it makes devious plans behind my back and strikes with the utmost intensity.

You all know I've been having what I have been saying was ITBS, well I'm confident that is what I have, its a flaming, agonizing pain on the outside of my left knee, its been slowy getting better and I've been doing everything I could think of to help alleviate the problem. Well lastnight I take my daughter upstairs to give her a bath and I had the towel wrapped around her, under her arms and carried her upstairs. After I bathed her she wanted me to carry her downstairs the same way... this is when things got really bad, about half way down the stairs I had a "mac truck sized" stabbing pain in the same area its been hurting. I managed to not drop my child and hobbled down the stairs, went over to the love seat and just bent over in pain grabbing my knee. I've never experienced pain this bad since I was 5 and broke my leg, it was a hot stabbing intense pain and it wasn't letting up. I sat in my office chair, took 4 ibuprofen, rubbed it down with some pain cream (wife works for a compounding pharamacy) wrapped my leg with an ace bandage and just sat there with a bag of ice on it, after all this the pain was only marginally better.

I finally went to bed last night and awoke this morning to feeling just a tad bit better, I can walk with a stiff leg and it don't hurt to bad, but the minute I try to bend my leg more than about 20 degrees its seering hot pain. THe odd thing is I could go up the steps with minimal pain but if I tried to come down the stairs normally the pain was unbearable. I would have to stiff leg my way down one step at a time...

Why is this happening to me? I roll, stretch, strength train... Sad

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Zelanie

Morning!  Track workout went well last night.  Got a little confidence back.  It turned out to be 4 x 1000 at tempo and 6 x 200 at R pace.  Except I messed up the watch programming and had to reset it in the middle of the 200s.  My RP came out again, so it was a lot of fun.

Tonight is the social run with the group.

Gustav- What an incredible thing to have gone through.  Hope that you two are able to celebrate today.

Jerry- Still streaking?

D- Nice job on a tough run!

Bin - Nothing like a good run to really enjoy a home cooked meal!

Margo- Good luck getting through the crunch time at work with your sanity!

Jack- Sounds like you'd better run today, considering your "normal" day would already be a "busy" day for most of us!

Docket_Rocket

Go to the doctor, Jimmy.  Although ITB does not hurt like that, it might if you tore the ITB (which Amanda in ATL had at some point a few years back).

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  Chorus tonight, and I definitely need to clean off my desk this morning.  It looks sort of like a paper mill went crazy and spewed papers everywhere.  Life is never dull!!

Gustav -- what an awesome story about your wife!!

Jerryb -- enjoy the run and 3-day weekend!!

Docket -- don't you usually run in the afternoons?  Ah, I see you're running tonight too.  Have fun!!

Bin -- woo-hoo for the drizzle!  Enjoy the food!!

Phillie -- oh, the packing up does NOT sound fun!!

Jack -- I hope you get your schedule sorted out!!

PAD -- maybe some of the more experience penguins will chime in on your intervals?

jblack -- NO FUN!!!  Sorry, I don't have any advice, but join the Misery on the Disabled List thread, and maybe someone there can help?

Zelanie -- sounds like a good workout!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.