Beginners and Beyond

Play Doh Monday Penguins! (Read 28 times)

Dad on the run.

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning Jimmy and Pengs.  Vacation is over...BAH !!!

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  9 miles tonight.

My grandmother passed away last night.  I didn't have a relationship with her any more but it was somewhat unexpected.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

hog4life

Morning!  9 miles tonight.

My grandmother passed away last night.  I didn't have a relationship with her any more but it was somewhat unexpected.

Sorry to hear this, condolences to you and the family.

NOBO class tonight, maybe 5-7 total.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Sorry D.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

D: Sad

Hi everyone.

SRD for me.

PADRunner

Morning everyone. 4 easy done.

Sorry D.

Bin Running

Damaris, sorry to hear that.

Abt 5-6 easy M with colleagues. Yet to measure the dist.  After reading a bit, I think I have the whooping cough.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Zelanie

Morning, penguins!  Today is double-work Monday, but I get to run 6 after!  My dog woke me up early today, so I got my RR up too.

Damaris- I am sorry for your loss.  It's never easy, no matter the relationship.

Jerry- Do try to get through your 20-hour work week somehow. Wink

Mitch- Have fun with the NOBO group!

Jack- Enjoy the RD!

PAD- Nice run!

Bin- Yuk!  You haven't had a booster shot for that?  I got one, since it has been going around in this area.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Jerry - I completely agree, except that I can get my running schedule back to normal :-)

Damaris - I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother.

Mitch - Enjoy those miles.

Jack - I finally tried the "rest day"...lol  I'll let you know after tonight's run what I think.

PADRunner - Way to get an early start.

AFM - We left South Dakota after the football game on Saturday night (my nephew's team won).  We stopped twice on the way back to nap at a rest area, but basically drove straight through.  We ran into some weather and construction, and got home around 6 last night.  It was a great vacation, and much needed.  Camping just on the edge of the Badlands was awesome.  We got to listen to coyotes all night.  Then, we camped in the Black Hills.  We got to see the badlands, black hills, rushmore, crazy horse, wall drug and a really cool reptile garden.  My nephew's campus is pretty cool too.

I only got to run once though, and that was the night we were in a KOA campground.  I just ran around the campground.  Running in the state park would have been pretty tough.  Roads were narrow, steep and winding.  Also, the deer were territorial.  We found that out while gathering fire wood.  There were signs about not approaching the buffalo because they're dangerous.  Cattle walked right down the road.  Then, we ran into areas that were pretty heavy in bees, and while we never saw one we did get a crash course on what to expect if we got bit by a rattle snake.  I decided that the risk / reward of running by myself around there wasn't worth it, and taking 4 days off wouldn't kill me.

Overall, it was an amazing vacation, and I can't wait to do it again.  Next time, I want to head over to Devil's Tower.  My brother camped right at the base of it the night before we showed up.  It was really cool.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Play Doh?! I love Play Doh!!! I havr been playing with it all morning! I work with small children so I have an excuse.

So sorry about your grandmother D SadSad

SRD but may do some crosstraining at the gym later.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Mmmmm...beer

Good morning everyone!

Damaris, I'm very sorry to hear about your grandmother.

I forgot to post about my awesome long run on Saturday.  Went out with the same running group that I met up with the week before, nice route along the boardwalk and out on some trails in a state park.  There was a guy there from out of town, we ended up running together, turns out he's a good bit faster than me.  We picked it up on the backside of our 15 miler and turned it into a progression run with the last four miles at around 7 flat, 7:39/mile average pace overall.  It was my fastest training run over 10 miles to date.  Smile

7 miles done this morning, 57* and 55* dewpoint, it was awesome!  Bring on fall!

Hope everyone has a great day!!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Dad on the run.

Kristin - Yes apparently one of the many odd holidays for today was play doh day. My daughter loves that stuff Smile

D - Sorry to hear about your grandmother

Bin - that sucks, get that taken care of!

AFM - plan for another 3.5 tonight. The run last night went fantastic and managed the whole 3.5 without any IT band issues so that was awesome.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  I had a list of things I wanted to get done this weekend, and amazingly I finished them all!  Of course it helped that my list was populated with things like "eat breakfast" and "take a shower", so that I got a little encouragement by crossing off this stuff.  But I got some other things done too, like "plant some container vegetables" and "make mini cheesecakes for my tech's birthday".  It's all good.  Hopefully tonight I can do W2D1 of C25k.  We basically spent two weeks on week 1, and although I hurt while running and after running, it's not really any worse than when I don't run, so we'll see if upping those run intervals from 60 seconds to 90 seconds causes problems.  

Jerryb -- welcome back from vacation!!

Docket -- so sorry for your loss!!  

hog -- looks like your running is back on track, woo-hoo!!

Jack -- have a good SRD!!

PAD -- woo-hoo for your 4 done!!

Bin -- whooping cough is no fun!!  Hope that's not it ...

Zelanie -- hope you get everything done, and your run too!!

awood -- glad you had an awesome vacation!!  Did your brother see any unusual lights, or hear any weird musical tones?

kristin -- have a good SRD with your play-doh!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Bin Running

Awood, running on vacation is difficult.

100 days cough they called it.  Vaccine for it is not a big thing here. We don't have much pple going for flu shot too. DW is on 35th weeks now. Going to check with gynae on this weekend visit if she require a shot. She's been hacking for a while now too.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar