Beginners and Beyond

Indianapolis Monumental (Debut) Marathon RR (Read 108 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Great run and RR.  Congrats to you and Pew.  Its been a pleasure watching your progress over the last year.  Now you can work on beating the Kenyans at the CM next year.

happylily

I loved your RR, thank you! It was very well written and it was inspiring. Your race was everything a first marathon is supposed to be: it was hard, it required you to dig deep inside and it left you with no regrets. I am so glad that you mentioned not having any regrets. Why should you have any? My God, after everything you've accomplished... look at how far you've come! It is simply terrific! And be proud of your 3:57, it's an awesome first marathon finish time, not everyone can accomplish that time in such a short running life. Congratulations! I'm very happy for you. Smile And you look great in your pictures. You're maybe tall, but I would certainly not call you too "big"! You don't look 215 at all!

Btw, it sounds like you have the beginning of PF. Sad Run to the drugstore (but first rest, then run when your legs will allow you Big grin) and buy those gel heel pads. They saved me and now I wear them even in my regular shoes and boots. And also try to stretch the calves with the stair exercise (google it. If you can't find it, write me).

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

happylily

Pewpew is your wife? Big grin Congratulations to her as well! First race of any distance is always exciting and requires courage. Well done!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Philliefan33

Congrats Awood and Pew^3!

LRB

My hamstrings decided this would be a good time to voice their displeasure.  Not to be outdone, my calves put in their two cents.

Mile 24: My quads decided that they would act as a distraction.  Sorry, quads.  You can't shout louder than my feet.  I can't hear you. 

That was funny!

I am happy for you man, you are a valued member of our group!

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Ha ha.....loved the "2 shoes full of glass!"  JokingShockedBig grin

I was freaking out thinking I'd already replied to this & couldn't find my reply but I looked it up & it was in the dailies, not this RR!

Reading an RR like that makes me want to NEVARR run a full!!  I remember the burning toe I had in my half that felt like it was reaching "surface of the sun" like temps before I crossed the finish & kicked my shoe off looking for a fire extinguisher.  26.2??  I don't think so! Shy

Glad you made it, though & under 4 ta' boot!!!  CONGRATS!!! Cool

Randy

tracilynn

Great job marathoner!  Congrats on a very strong debut marathon. It's been pretty cool watching your progression on the boards. I look forward to watching you achieve your next goals of speed In shorter distances. Great job to P3 as well. Smile

~~~~~~~

Traci

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Congrats on your race! The race report tells quite well your physical and mental journey. My mind is focused on the mental picture I painted from your description of the finish line scene - I don't think I've ever heard anything like that before. Good luck on your goals for 2014!

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Awesome report, and congratulations on your first full marathon! And congrats to your wife!!

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Congrats!!! I had been looking forward to this RR! You did really, really well!!!! Sub 4:00 is a great accomplishment! Congrats on your first marathon it has been fun following your training and weight loss journey. And congrats to your DW too!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Zelanie

Loved your report, Awood!  I am so happy that you decided to wait a year and really give it your all.  Sub-4 in your first marathon, and many more races ahead for you!  Looking forward to your next challenge.

And working hard to get to where I can race you again someday. Wink

Bin Running

Awesome job, Awood.. Congrats to you and Pew3. Both of you did exceptionally well..  One hell of completeing marathon training with a wedding stuck right in between.. Now, you can concentrate on decorating that house with lights.. Loads of it.. and we need picture proof this time.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

Awesome debut, sub-4 on the first out of the gate is nothing to sneeze at.  BTW, is Robert the Bruce as good as Miller the Lite?

Nothing scientific, but I do wonder if some of the quad, calf and hamstring issues are related to the simple fact you only have 18 months of training.  I myself have 15 months and my legs are sore most of the time.  I surmise that it just takes time to harden the tendons, joints and muscles to the constant pounding, and that in the future you will experience less of the discomfort in later distances.

Also a good sign that you did not walk.  Shows mental strength to fight your mind and keep pushing, something that you will need in the 10k and Half distances.  Its been fun reading and following your training this last year.  Keep trying to lose weight, another 10-15 lbs will make a big difference in your times.  Bravo Sir Awood.

BruceD555

Fabulous RR and great job on not listening to the chorus of ailing leg muscles. I was pacing a family friend (he's 17 years old) for his first FM and we finished within about a minute of you so we probably crossed paths without even knowing it. Again, great job on the race and I really enjoyed reading through your RR - you captured everything including the nasty details of that lousy road construction by the Art Museum.

Train smart ... race smarter.

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

.357 Magnum finish time, DAMN GOOD RACE NUMBERS